Neurodivergent -v- Autistic

I will start by admitting I'm a bit grumpy as my brain is boiling in the heat (south of England heatwave).

Nevertheless, I am getting rather irritated by people talking about neurodiversity (neurodivergence) on threads without mentioning what the neurodivergence is.

I'm having to assume that they are talking about autism as it's an autism forum but it could be something else (see below).

I feel like this umbrella term becoming a substitute for each individual condition.

Does anyone else feel the same or should I take a cool shower?

• Thanks.

I've changed some of my wording.

• Neurodiversity is indeed an umbrella term that includes a range of conditions like autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and others.

*Neurodivergence* is the term that covers the full range of neurodivergent conditions (autism, ADHD, etc).

Neurodiversity / neurodiverse is an umbrella term to describe a group that includes both neurodivergent and neurotypical people - including the population as a whole. The graphic that I've posted elsewhere in this thread explains more. :) 

• My wife has dyslexia and I'm autistic, so i suppose it is a neurodiverse marriage. I would not say that either of us is neurodiverse.

You're actually a *neurodivergent* couple / marriage, as you are each ND. A neurodiverse marriage would involve an ND person coupled with an NT person.  

Also, individuals can't be neurodiverse; only either ND or NT. I won't post the graphic again, as I've already just posted it a couple of times, but it's explained well there :)

• I am definitely neurodiverse. I don't have the confidence to diagnose my "condition" with certainty. I am very probably autistic. How should I describe myself?

As "neurodivergent" - definitely not as neurodiverse :) 

Click / tap the image to enlarge / reduce blur:

• This graphic does a great job of explaining what neurodiverse / neurodiversity means, along with the key related terms (click / tap on the image for a less blurry view):

• NeuroDiversity is everyone. It was created with an Analogy to BioDiverse. 

Divergent from what's consisted "Typical" - median or a maths average in society, is the umbrella term for differences in being which have a kind of evolutionary advantage - often at the expense of something which might be 'normal'. However, disabilities are also under this umbrella as things which one cannot just 'will' out of or change. 

The problem is most people creating these don't know the history of psychoanalysis, aren't using terminology correctly, and are just trying to garner a bit of attention. A few are genuine and using terms wrong but wish to make a difference somehow.

For instance, OCD is a clinical term relating to a "Typical" neurotype, in that they use the same linguistics, they aren't high scoring on the Monotropism test. It was created as an extreme response to trauma and is something that with years of work can be overcome or kept in a mindful check. An Autistic with a hyper vigilant routine does so for well-being and safety. OCD is a routine facilitating the opposite of well-being and safety. 

The motive and outcome are really important when understanding nuances of difference. 

But yet, NeuroDivergent is an umbrella term. A company which states they are a neurodiverse company just means they claim to be open to hiring Divergent individuals along with Typical, but doubtful many could actually explain the differences. x

• But here is a little problem- it’s in German

Not a problem for me, as I'm bilingual. I'll check it out.

• Thank you everyone for your very interesting replies.

I've learnt from this thread, especially regarding the ways that using the umbrella term can be useful.

• As an older Irish gay man in the U.K. who was diagnosed with ASD later in life in 2021, I can agree that there are similarities, however I don’t believe that there is correct level of true understanding and true support from professionals for which post-diagnostic assessments are vital - just like with LGBT issues, attitudes need to radically change towards not just autism but towards all mental health issues and hidden disabilities if there is any progress to be made and this can only be achieved through education - as a traditional Catholic myself, I believe that it is also a moral issue - the very fact that there is very little in the way of appropriate post diagnostic support aside from this forum and website is itself deeply amoral and immoral, an issue that I have repeatedly raised on this forum on countless occasions and only today, I have started a new thread on a possible idea as to how this could be resolved 

• I think threads is ok my group discussed this.

Re the heat it must be an autistic thing I hate it I generally feel too hot even in winter

• I feel the same here! There was a video in the channel “Autism from the inside” where Paul Micalleff talked about self diagnosis. He said, that if after deep research, tests and most important- shared lived experience you find yourself there - then it means you are autistic. For me of course it’s a never ending doubt, but I just try to accept the fact that from now on my brain will torture me with it. I’m not even sure if formal diagnosis would help me. I’m sure I would get upset every time I would have heard “you don’t look autistic” etc. I also Found very interesting and well led channel Tom Harrendorf - Autismus und Borderline. But here is a little problem- it’s in German. I’m living in Germany and learn the language and I’m fluent enough to understand. But I wish he had subtitles in English. Just posting it here in case anyone is interested and speaks German. For me this man is also very interesting, I like the way he speaks. He himself is autistic. 

• It is very difficult to associate posts from a NASnnnnnn if one doesn't have a memory for random numbers. It really would be worthwhile giving yourself a profile picture and changing your name from the default. Just an idea.

• I'm always amazed to see my experience reflected back at me in these forums, as I just did in your post. In my past working life, I was once described as being "aloof". The subtext was that I was separate because I considered myself to be superior. If anything, the opposite was nearer the truth: I felt I was defective. i guess I may still fall into that trap, when I volunteer my special viewpoint...

• In some settings e.g. courses where I don't know people very well; I might say Neurodivergent rather than Autistic (to help people be considerate ... without perhaps highlighting particular potential vulnerabilities).

Among a cohort where I become aware there are a number of other Neurodivergent people - then I am more likely to be comfortable to say Autistic (so fellow Neurodivergent people do not get frustrated with the second-guessing in the way Debbie described).

Debbie: sorry to hear you have found today's weather a bit of a trial   I hear you!  (I am OK with warm dry weather, but I do not appreciate warm and humid weather ...so yes, I was a bit grumpy too earlier today).

• PTSD isn't something that can be cured either, it can be managed, you learn to live with it, but every now and again something triggers it and you're off into some other when and if you're really lucky you'll bilocate too. The traumatic memory will impose itself like an acetate overlay onto the world around you, it's disconcerting to say the least.

I think whilst it can share some bits of ASD, it dosen't share all of them and as PTSD is often a product of tramatic incident/s, you can start with an NT brain and come out with a radically changed one. I'm not aware that ASD can be "acquired" in the same way that PTSD is, although many people with ASD do seem prone to PTSD and particularly cPTSD.

• For what it's worth in my own small experience, specifically in a school setting, using ND has been socially helpful for students in that it is more general and thus, it would seem, less stigmatising. 

An advantage for the kids is that in collectively referring to themselves as ND, they're a social group, there are more of them, and their status as ND becomes normalised in the school community. 

It's contextual, obviously, yet a situation in which there's a positive side to simply being ND..

• Same here! I strongly suspect I’m autistic and I’m happy that I have this possibility to join this forum without formal diagnosis, but I’m absolutely sure that I’m neurodivergent. My perception, attention to details, my stimming and tics and inability to fit in in a group leaves no doubts I’m not NT, meaning I’m ND. Now it’s a bit easier mostly with the help of this forum I’m more aware of my differences and I stopped trying to change myself into someone who I’m not, I changed my environment and take care of myself. I struggle with emotional regulation and sensory sensitivities which link together strongly for me. When I was younger I was sure that I’m inferior compared to other people because I was the loner and unable to understand the “secret language hidden behind words” - body language. Now I don’t care so much about being part of a peer group. That’s how it’s easier for me. But I’m mourning my youth that was supposed to be beautiful (everyone says that) but for me it was a nightmare and only quite recently I got the possible explanation, why it was what it was. 

• It's difficult personally. I am definitely neurodiverse. I don't have the confidence to diagnose my "condition" with certainty. I am very probably autistic. How should I describe myself? I don't really know.

• Useful as an umbrella term for social activism and suchlike arenas, but when people are asking for advice then it is reasonable to expect a little more precision. Otherwise the advice might be irrelevant or even harmful.

• I think I was clear but just in case.

This is more often on new threads from a new member.

Examples:

I have just realised I am neurodivergent etc etc.

My partner is neurodivergent. Please advise.

If it's a neurodivergence I share I can help so knowing what it is is usually very relevant.