Neurodivergent -v- Autistic

I will start by admitting I'm a bit grumpy as my brain is boiling in the heat (south of England heatwave).

Nevertheless, I am getting rather irritated by people talking about neurodiversity (neurodivergence) on threads without mentioning what the neurodivergence is.

I'm having to assume that they are talking about autism as it's an autism forum but it could be something else (see below).

I feel like this umbrella term becoming a substitute for each individual condition.

Does anyone else feel the same or should I take a cool shower?

Parents
  • I will start by admitting I'm a bit grumpy as my brain is boiling in the heat (south of England heatwave).

Nevertheless, I am getting rather irritated by people talking about neurodiversity on threads without mentioning what the neurodiversity is.

I'm having to assume that they are talking about autism as it's an autism forum but it could be something else (see below).

I feel like this umbrella term becoming a substitute for each individual condition.

The heat is really getting to you! It’s understandable to feel frustrated when discussions around neurodiversity aren’t specific about the conditions being referred to, especially if it’s an area that’s important to you.

Neurodiversity is indeed an umbrella term that includes a range of conditions like autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and others. While it’s meant to encompass a broad spectrum of neurological differences, it can be frustrating when the specific condition isn’t clarified, especially in discussions where specifics matter.

If it's an autism forum, it's likely that autism is the primary focus, but it would still be helpful for clarity to specify when discussing different aspects or experiences related to neurodiversity. Taking a cool shower sounds like a good idea to beat the heat and reset your mood!

• I will start by admitting I'm a bit grumpy as my brain is boiling in the heat (south of England heatwave).

Nevertheless, I am getting rather irritated by people talking about neurodiversity on threads without mentioning what the neurodiversity is.

The heat is really getting to you! It’s understandable to feel frustrated when discussions around neurodiversity aren’t specific about the conditions being referred to, especially if it’s an area that’s important to you.

Neurodiversity is indeed an umbrella term that includes a range of conditions like autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and others. While it’s meant to encompass a broad spectrum of neurological differences, it can be frustrating when the specific condition isn’t clarified, especially in discussions where specifics matter.

If it's an autism forum, it's likely that autism is the primary focus, but it would still be helpful for clarity to specify when discussing different aspects or experiences related to neurodiversity. Taking a cool shower sounds like a good idea to beat the heat and reset your mood!

Children
  • Neurodiversity is indeed an umbrella term that includes a range of conditions like autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and others.

*Neurodivergence* is the term that covers the full range of neurodivergent conditions (autism, ADHD, etc).

Neurodiversity / neurodiverse is an umbrella term to describe a group that includes both neurodivergent and neurotypical people - including the population as a whole. The graphic that I've posted elsewhere in this thread explains more. :)