Electricity company and pressure to get a smart meter

Does anybody else get stressed about their energy company keep pressuring them to get a Smart Meter? I’m getting so sick of it and this time I think they’re trying to scare me into getting one and I’m so stressed about it. Does anyone on here have an answer to this problem? I’m thinking of switching to Octopus energy, but will they just do the same and pressure me to get one as well?

Any advice would be appreciated regarding this.

• I remember feeling pressured into having a smart meter installed. Eventually I gave in. Although I’m glad I did, as I have found to have a smart meter very useful. Mine works fine and submits the readings to my energy company without a problem, meaning I don’t have to remember checking the meters every couple of months and submitting them manually. 
    I can also see my usage in real time and know what is causing energy spikes and make small changes to help reduce my bill slightly. 

I would say, having it installed will give you more benefits than it does now. You can choose to still submit manual readings and not have the little device plugged in, if you prefer. I believe it will get to a point where a smart meter is compulsory as the government are pushing the scheme. Also some energy companies, if you ever decide to switch, will only accept smart meters. So I would say that you should really consider getting yours done, take the pressure off you and you’ll soon seen the benefits of having one Slight smile

• These companies really are so frustrating on multiple levels. No wonder people have no faith/trust in them.

• I had constant pressure to install a smart meter,  in the end I agreed.  I received a letter confirming date and time of the installation.   They never arrived, but the phone calls continued,  I complained and received £30 off my gas bill as compensation because it wasn't installed. 

• Here is my view.The energy companies now are by and large offering similar deals.I have stuck with the same company for decades although at times they have driven me to despair.

I too have resisted a smart meter but am getting fed up reading that silly dial every few months then giving the reading and then getting a statement you need a degree in rocket science to understand.What kilowatts or whatever then standing charges then peak rate non peak etc.I am into money but have never understood energy prices.I see the benefit of smart meter if it runs reliably as bills to the penny and a chance to study usage.Who knows though.

• Thanks - that reassuring anyway!

• I had an electricity smart meter installed several years ago, and have no regrets as I feel it has helped to make life a little easier for me... No having to worry about estimated bills if the meter hasn't been read.

To be honest, I wish my gas meter could be changed to a smart meter too. It's a hassle to read as is situated high up on a wall in my garage. The only way I can read the meter is by taking photos with my digital camera, or asking my son to take photos with his smartphone.

• My brother say his doesn’t work. I also saw a thing about them on tv where people had been sent crazily high bills because the smart meter was malfunctioning- I really don’t need that kind of stress. 

• Thanks Matcha - I really appreciate you sharing your experience with this - really helpful :) 

• I mean some people I know who have them have no problems and like them. But for me seeing how many have gone wrong its not worth the risk (and the place I've just moved into, the smart meter here doesn't work)

• Yep. My energy company also lied to me about my meter to try to get me to upgrade. Shell energy continually phoned me and told me my meter 'will stop working in 2025' so I refused anyway and asked a neighbour if that was true. The neighbour (who owns his flat) laughed and said it was complete nonsense the manual meters still work and are very safe. Tough as old bricks. They don't make em like they used to.

The energy companies get money from the government to install smart meters which is why they keep annoying everyone. But the smart meters often stop working, I know lots of people whos smart meters no longer work and theyve had lots of problems with bills not being correct as a result. Don't get a smart meter, you are under no obligation to accept one.

• I didn’t know about the register you mention here - I’ll look into that - thank you

• I'd leave thigs as they are, or force the management company to allow an inspection, I think gas and electricity suppliers have statutory right of entry? If they've not seen your meter then how do they know it's dangerous? You do not have to have a smart meter, it sounds like you're being bullied. Smart meters might be easier, but thats when they work and depending on what your building is made from they might not.

• Yes. I have no access to my meter as it's in a locked room in the basement. The building management company supplies a reading to me once a month but won't open the room for installations. My ex has told the electricity company this several dozen times but they keep phoning him asking to install a smart meter (I can't do calls so my number isn't on the account). They started trying to say the meter is too old and unsafe. I've told him to block their calls as there's nothing we can do to get the meter fitted and they won't take no for an answer.

• As an additional thought, who are you with? I am with British Gas and on their priority services register. If your current company has such a thing, request to be added, and that should solve the issue of them contacting you. I've done the same with all my utilities.  

• Bite the bullet and get a smart meter. It makes life so much easier; it certainly did for me anyhow. 

• Yes - a good approach! I like to be polite but you’re right - you can be polite but also very firm. Thanks :)

• Thanks - I’m thinking of switching to Octopus as I’ve heard lots of good things about them. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think out meter is probably quite old so you make a good point. Thanks Slight smile

• Thanks Roy - I really appreciate you sharing this, it’s helpful :) 

• The company shouldn’t be pressuring you, it is your right to say no. I did have the meter changed in my last home. It was just after covid, the fitter worked at the far end of the house and left the front door open for ventilation as the meter cupboard was opposite it. We had no contact with him. The old meter had a 1980’s date on it and turned out to be faulty. The fitter also changed the meter tails for free as they were very under rated and from 1961.
    Having a visual display of usage is helpful, it was surprising how many items were  being left on standby and using power. The other bonus is the reading was uploaded via the internet so no more meter readers or over estimated bills.

We currently live with my mother, they replaced the  gas and electric meter there, a gas leak was discovered at the front of the property and repaired for free, that could have been very dangerous. The meters they removed we’re also from the 1980’s.

I do get your concerns but I found the benefits outweighed the hassle of having them changed.

• I'm with Octopus and love them.  Their website and app is fun and easy to use and understand.

They did send me stuff about the smart meter first of all, and it is worth noting that the analogue meters you have will have a 'shelf life'.  Mine was twenty years, and both are due for renewal, which will mean having to get smart meters, since they don't repair the analogue meters anymore.  No parts.  So, it will mean changing over eventually, though you can have the 'smart' bit of it turned off.  I explained I have some issues with people coming into the house, and asked them not to hassle me about it, and even though the meters have reached the end of the shelf life this year, they haven't sent me anymore emails about it for a year.