Electricity company and pressure to get a smart meter

Does anybody else get stressed about their energy company keep pressuring them to get a Smart Meter? I’m getting so sick of it and this time I think they’re trying to scare me into getting one and I’m so stressed about it. Does anyone on here have an answer to this problem? I’m thinking of switching to Octopus energy, but will they just do the same and pressure me to get one as well?

Any advice would be appreciated regarding this.

Parents
  • Yes. I have no access to my meter as it's in a locked room in the basement. The building management company supplies a reading to me once a month but won't open the room for installations. My ex has told the electricity company this several dozen times but they keep phoning him asking to install a smart meter (I can't do calls so my number isn't on the account). They started trying to say the meter is too old and unsafe. I've told him to block their calls as there's nothing we can do to get the meter fitted and they won't take no for an answer.

• Yep. My energy company also lied to me about my meter to try to get me to upgrade. Shell energy continually phoned me and told me my meter 'will stop working in 2025' so I refused anyway and asked a neighbour if that was true. The neighbour (who owns his flat) laughed and said it was complete nonsense the manual meters still work and are very safe. Tough as old bricks. They don't make em like they used to.

The energy companies get money from the government to install smart meters which is why they keep annoying everyone. But the smart meters often stop working, I know lots of people whos smart meters no longer work and theyve had lots of problems with bills not being correct as a result. Don't get a smart meter, you are under no obligation to accept one.

• Thanks Matcha - I really appreciate you sharing your experience with this - really helpful :) 

Reply Children
No Data