Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

• I will never be able to have animals due to allergies, so i can't advise on them.  I could theoretically have cats, but I don't really trust them and they have a weird smell that I dislike, almost sickly sweet, but it makes me want to vomit.  Everything else puts me in resus. Slight smile

• Doing something you enjoy and not having too many people around sounds great Blush

• I used to work freelance, and I have been thinking about gently getting back into it. I'm still passionate about it. If it's meant to be I guess it'll just flow - I do have an interested party already. 

I know that this is going a bit off topic, but you may have read that I was considering getting some Guinea pigs for company. I had a look at a few today, and they were squabbling and fighting. I decided it wasn't for me. Maybe I just need to be brave and be open to what I really want, and see what happens. 

For a long time I wondered if my entire purpose was just to exist.  Maybe it is and everything else is just trivial folly.

Maybe I should 'Justbe' Blush

• My current purpose is FPV drones.  It's more a hobby than a general purpose in life, but it's fun and I get to fly and fell the actual flight as if in the cockpit of a plane.  I am always drawn to the fringe hobbies.  I was once a scuba diver.  i ride motorcycles and fix them, same with cars and vans.

A purpose can be anything.  It could be volunteering at a local library or community centre.  It could be walking across a country for no reason other than having a good walk and meeting new people.  You discount the new career, but a new career doesn't necessarily entail going to a new place of work.  There are still a lot of jobs that can be done from home as a freelancer.  You presumably have a skill set from working throughout your life, so become a consultant and utilise that skill set.

For a long time I wondered if my entire purpose was just to exist.  Maybe it is and everything else is just trivial folly. Slight smile

• I'm going to look at some tomorrow. But I'm wondering if having them in my life won't be enough, or maybe it'll be too much and I'll feel like I can't cope.

I've hit a real low today. The high of finally everything making sense (autism revelation) has been replaced by reality, maybe even grief. Whilst I accept my singleness and my work life not going the way i expected too. 

• For me it’s working on classic cars, I’ve done it for 40 years and still don’t get bored of it. I love the hours of research and tracking down rare parts on the internet.

It suits me as I can be totally alone all day and not have to engage with anyone. I love attention to detail, my other purpose is growing plants in the summer, to pick my own tomatoes or cucumbers is very satisfying, it’s also totally different to my day job and is another quiet place with no people. The only downside is that I can’t eat tomatoes or cucumbers as the texture totally wrong, my family enjoys them though. Hanging baskets are a great visual stimulation especially when they are bright colours.

• I think I'd struggle too much. I went self employed years ago, before my health got worse. I couldn't deal with bosses, bullying etc

• I love this quote from Kurt Vonnegut: "The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practising an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."

• How lovely. Thank you, I will Blush

• There is an Autism group nearby. I've attended a couple of 121 drop ins, and an info session. I'm yet to try one of their social groups. I'm going to push myself next week and try and remedy that.

My interests include meditation, yoga, walking, cooking, growing herbs for tea and crafts. I do 90% of these activities on my own. 

I like your sense of humour regarding your music and poetry Blush

• I think the guinea pigs will make a difference for you. It will be something for you to think about and focus on, something to look after, and therefore bring you that purpose you are looking for.

Guinea pigs are great pets. When I was 16 I got two guinea pigs, Patches and Sandy, they were a great pair and I loved looking after them. Patches used to love resting on my laptop haha.

Let us know if you get any guinea pigs. I hope they bring you that purpose you're looking for, if you go for them.

• I hear you. 

Not working, no family, no company, loneliness, depression, existing. That's pretty much me too.

I'm considering getting some indoor Guinea pigs. I'm glad that you have found a win win with Mittens Blush

• In the absence of any blinding flashes of inspiration or realisation.......I firmly believe that "simply" trying to be a "good person" is sufficient PURPOSE for any of us?

Amen to that my dear friend.

It is good to see you still here Number.

Best wishes,

Interface.

• This is something I get quite a lot. It's difficult for a lot of autistic people because they don't work or have families, I'm in that category and often feel like I'm existing without really living, with no purpose. I listen to music, write, do computer programming... but I lack the purpose.

One thing I did that you might like to try is getting a pet dog or cat. I got a cat called Mittens and suddenly I do have a purpose... I have to look after her, feed her and wash her. This has not only now given me my purpose in life - to look after Mittens - but it's also given me some company, as I have been struggling with loneliness and depression, so it's the best of both worlds.

I love the idea of growing plants suggested to you as well. This is something I would love to do for myself as well. I have a huge garden but it needs sorting out as currently it is more like a jungle. Maybe if it stops raining I'll give gardening a try...

• What are you interested in? There might be a local group that shares the same interest. I met a very inspirational woman last week who, in her retirement, runs a centre for autistic people. I'm interested in politics, running, music, and writing. I like to think that, years from now, I'll still be politically active, possibly working towards coaching badges, making bad house music, and writing poetry that no one will read. Slight smile

• you had kids and they moved on? ...  purpose and the future is in their hands now.

your purpose should be focusing on how to retire lol

• Thank you Numbers that's very helpful x