Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

Parents
  • This is something I get quite a lot. It's difficult for a lot of autistic people because they don't work or have families, I'm in that category and often feel like I'm existing without really living, with no purpose. I listen to music, write, do computer programming... but I lack the purpose.

One thing I did that you might like to try is getting a pet dog or cat. I got a cat called Mittens and suddenly I do have a purpose... I have to look after her, feed her and wash her. This has not only now given me my purpose in life - to look after Mittens - but it's also given me some company, as I have been struggling with loneliness and depression, so it's the best of both worlds.

I love the idea of growing plants suggested to you as well. This is something I would love to do for myself as well. I have a huge garden but it needs sorting out as currently it is more like a jungle. Maybe if it stops raining I'll give gardening a try...

• This is something I get quite a lot. It's difficult for a lot of autistic people because they don't work or have families, I'm in that category and often feel like I'm existing without really living, with no purpose. I listen to music, write, do computer programming... but I lack the purpose.

One thing I did that you might like to try is getting a pet dog or cat. I got a cat called Mittens and suddenly I do have a purpose... I have to look after her, feed her and wash her. This has not only now given me my purpose in life - to look after Mittens - but it's also given me some company, as I have been struggling with loneliness and depression, so it's the best of both worlds.

I love the idea of growing plants suggested to you as well. This is something I would love to do for myself as well. I have a huge garden but it needs sorting out as currently it is more like a jungle. Maybe if it stops raining I'll give gardening a try...

Children
  • I hear you. 

Not working, no family, no company, loneliness, depression, existing. That's pretty much me too.

I'm considering getting some indoor Guinea pigs. I'm glad that you have found a win win with Mittens Blush