Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

Parents
  • This is something I get quite a lot. It's difficult for a lot of autistic people because they don't work or have families, I'm in that category and often feel like I'm existing without really living, with no purpose. I listen to music, write, do computer programming... but I lack the purpose.

One thing I did that you might like to try is getting a pet dog or cat. I got a cat called Mittens and suddenly I do have a purpose... I have to look after her, feed her and wash her. This has not only now given me my purpose in life - to look after Mittens - but it's also given me some company, as I have been struggling with loneliness and depression, so it's the best of both worlds.

I love the idea of growing plants suggested to you as well. This is something I would love to do for myself as well. I have a huge garden but it needs sorting out as currently it is more like a jungle. Maybe if it stops raining I'll give gardening a try...

• I hear you. 

Not working, no family, no company, loneliness, depression, existing. That's pretty much me too.

I'm considering getting some indoor Guinea pigs. I'm glad that you have found a win win with Mittens Blush

• I think the guinea pigs will make a difference for you. It will be something for you to think about and focus on, something to look after, and therefore bring you that purpose you are looking for.

Guinea pigs are great pets. When I was 16 I got two guinea pigs, Patches and Sandy, they were a great pair and I loved looking after them. Patches used to love resting on my laptop haha.

Let us know if you get any guinea pigs. I hope they bring you that purpose you're looking for, if you go for them.

• I'm going to look at some tomorrow. But I'm wondering if having them in my life won't be enough, or maybe it'll be too much and I'll feel like I can't cope.

I've hit a real low today. The high of finally everything making sense (autism revelation) has been replaced by reality, maybe even grief. Whilst I accept my singleness and my work life not going the way i expected too. 

• How lovely. Thank you, I will Blush

Reply Children
No Data