Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

Parents
  • What are you interested in? There might be a local group that shares the same interest. I met a very inspirational woman last week who, in her retirement, runs a centre for autistic people. I'm interested in politics, running, music, and writing. I like to think that, years from now, I'll still be politically active, possibly working towards coaching badges, making bad house music, and writing poetry that no one will read. Slight smile

• There is an Autism group nearby. I've attended a couple of 121 drop ins, and an info session. I'm yet to try one of their social groups. I'm going to push myself next week and try and remedy that.

My interests include meditation, yoga, walking, cooking, growing herbs for tea and crafts. I do 90% of these activities on my own. 

I like your sense of humour regarding your music and poetry Blush

• I love this quote from Kurt Vonnegut: "The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practising an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."

Reply Children
No Data