Wanting friends

Have you ever had a true friend someone who liked you and didn't judge you? I've been looking for a friend like that, what I would call a true friend. But I've never found anyone like that, in person or online. I feel lonely a lot of the time, I've only got my family but no friends at all.

Parents
  • Yes, I have.

I feel extremely honoured to have become friends with one of the most lovely people I ever encountered. We met at school, where we were both bullied for being different, and though we were both shy at first we gradually started to bond and found we had loads in common.

It turned out we both had autism. And we remained friends all through school, supporting each other through the hardest days life through at us. When my parents died she was there for me, when her mum died I was by her side day and night.

I don't know how to be a good friend and how to communicate with people, but with her, it was like I was on autopilot. 

She sadly died at the start of the year, that's the worst part of being friends when your friend is no longer here. But I know our friendship is forever and I like to think that she's still here, watching over me and helping me through those difficult days.

I hope you will find that friend for yourself as well.

• that's the worst part of being friends when your friend is no longer here. But I know our friendship is forever

I may have said before, A=BCD, but I am sorry for your loss. As somebody in similar circumstances (my long time friend also died at the beginning of the year) your words really resonate for me. 

Friendship like that is forever, I hope you can find some consolation in that thought Slight smile

• Thinking of you too Pegg.

I think that, as we are autistic, we meet so few people who we genuinely connect with that losing them is all the more intense. 

Reply Children
  • I've thought about this some more and it occurred to me that I may always be alone, for the rest of my days, living in my childhood home with memories and a sucession of dogs for company.

We never know what or who is around the corner.

I made a thread about life stages, and reaching them at different times or not at all:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/29598/life-stages-becoming-an-adult/306457#306457

When I met my now husband in my mid forties I was alone and had been for many years (apart from a couple of aberrations).

I was actually quite content.

I ended up marrying in my 50s.

I hope that whatever life brings you Pegg, it includes happiness and/or contentment.

• I've thought about this some more and it occurred to me that I may always be alone, for the rest of my days, living in my childhood home with memories and a sucession of dogs for company.

I like solitude, but that seems quite... final Neutral face

• I think that, as we are autistic, we meet so few people who we genuinely connect with that losing them is all the more intense. 

Thanks Debbie Slight smile

Yes, I think you're right. I have known few people I've felt that connection with... though of course I hope it may happen again one day, I accept that it may not. 

Whilst it was easy with my friend because we'd known each other for a long time, the idea of new friendships is daunting, a step into the scary unknown.