Multiple Choice Questions

I have always struggled with multiple choice questionnaires. Is this an Autistic Trait?

• The essays would be great if they didn't constrain the word count

Exactly! I always exceed the word limit.

• I prefer multiple choice questions where there is a clear, correct and factual answer among the options.

The ones where I have to decide between variable options, none of which are clearly and logically correct, are more of a problem. The AQ autism questionnaire for example!

I hated essays at school. There are just too many variables. What do I put in and what do I leave out? What order do things go? Then having to think about phrasing, wording, paragraphs and grammar etc. Too much when the topic could be tested by multiple choice.

• I have a real dislike of multiple-choice questions for the same reasons that others have stated. If none of the answers apply, it's always a relief when there is an option to tick a box that states something along the lines of 'Undecided' or 'It varies'.

• Multi choice limits the human brain to predefined limitations. But we live in 'tick box's culture.

• I found it funny, to be honest multiple choice is lazy testing, I always had to use a pencil on these tests, the test sheets were fed through a machine and instantly marked.

• Screaming with laughter, but then having a stern word with myself on behalf of the poor kid who might have just  lost their grandfather and was faced with this stupidly insensitive question.

But oh the assumptions of examiners.

• Your exam question really reminds me of this one.

• Yep! That one also lies in the debatable domains which takes an A4 to explain

• The essays would be great if they didn't constrain the word count. I spend more time trying to rephrase and precise to fit the word constraint than writing the damn thing to start with.

Always too many ideas to fit the words allowed!

• Lol. Yes, I struggled with a few.

• Actually another thought.

CSE maths. I chickened out of the 'O level, maths teacher thought I'd have a nervous break down and let me take CSE for my mental welfare...another story.

Anyway, first question on the multichoice paper I will remember to my dying day.

"How many people would you expect at a birthday party?

A) 6

B) 60

C) 600

D) 6,000"

I dunno. How many friends have you got? Any of the above are possible. I thought about annotating the margin to state this was a social and philosophical question, not a mathematical one, but thought better of it and ticked 6, since most people don't have 600 or more genuine friends.

Mercifully, the paper moved on to some proper maths questions and I got a Grade 1 = O Level C+, so never had to worry about maths again.

Is there a point here? Dunno, maybe multi choice isn't a good format for autistic people unless you are prepared to accept a literally "out of the box" answer that was never listed.

• Well, I hate the ones on MH assessments for anxiety etc...

If there is no suggest multi choice answer which exactly fits, I can't just tick the closest to, I have to annotate in the margins to get the most precise meaning conveyed...which annoys neurotypical assessors. But what can I say, I can't tick what is a bit true or mostly true. It needs to be exactly true.

It's lead to confusion before now, where a string of adjectives sort of indicated where I was but couldn't tick it because one of them was "socially isolated". God! I more likely feel "socially bombarded" . Yet this was the position of the scale the counsellor was looking for and apparently I'm being difficult by crossing out adjectives and writing notes in the margins. Don't they want my absolute truth? Sigh!

• If it is, it makes the AQ test flawed, because that’s 50 straight multiple-choice questions..

• There should have been an option for, Yes the sun will be shining on the opposite hemisphere when it’s our nighttime.

• Yes, I had it all in print. We need a bit of time to think, Debbie.

Ben

• I can’t stand these options, I either agree or disagree

Yes, I think they need really to change the AQ50 as that's how they are there.

• a.  Agree b.  Slightly agree. c. Slightly disagree. d. Disagree.

I can’t stand these options, I either agree or disagree. I find normal multi choice not too bad, two answers are normally very incorrect so they are dismissed, it then only leaves the correct one and a close contender. The driving theory test is very much this way but every answer is in The Highway Code. What I really struggle with on a test  is, “ now explain your answer”.  I can’t, its correct, I just know things, I’ve spent a whole lifetime learning useless facts, check it, it will be correct. “ yes but how did you arrive at your answer?”  Aghhh!

• It depends on whether there is an answer I know is definitely correct. Sometimes I can look at the answers and think none of them, or can't decide between two options. I remember people talking years ago about a question on the 11 plus. Does the sun shine at night?  I don't know what all the options would have been, we don't see it but it is still there. The problem I can have with multiple choice is you can't say it depends on.....