Eye Contact

Following a recent discussion I note that some people say they have learnt how to do eye contact. My question is how do you do it?

I have been asked if I am listening as the only way I can consciously try is by looking to the side of someone or looking at a nose or tie. If I look towards someone's eyes I feel like I am staring so then look away.

Parents
  • I’ve had a problem with eye contact since I was a child, I can remember my father telling me off, “people who don’t make eye contact are not trustworthy.” How wrong that was. The usual was teachers, “ look at me when I’m talking to you!” Makes me actually chuckle now, it’s just ignorance.

• Yes, it does seem frequently to be a measure of trustworthiness in the court of social opinion..

That was quite verbose... sorry! Joy

But yeah. I've found people assume I'm untrustworthy- at least - if I don't make sufficient eye contact...

Seems bonkers to me, but hey, what do I know... not being part of the human social club is a constant mystery..

• This might sound weird but i avoid eye contact because i feel other People
    can look into my Eyes and read my thoughts, bearing in mind the Eyes are the window to the soul.
    Crazy yes, but the feelings are real.

• 7 % Non verbal ?
    In that case us ASD'S must be a real head-scratcher for those trying to suss us out !

Reply Children
No Data