Diagnosis anniversary

It’s coming up to the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis, so I thought it needed a thread.

Here are some pertinent facts.

Wait time from GP referral to diagnosis: 10 months (total)

Age at diagnosis: 60 years

Date of diagnosis: 2022

Method: private company via NHS

Health Authority/Company: Surrey and Borders/Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it gave me a context for why I’ve ‘failed’ at various stages during my life and a ‘get out of jail free card’ for choices I now make.

Feelings a year on: similar.  I have a context for everything.

However, there are times when I do think about, if I was diagnosed earlier, or if I wasn’t autistic, how different my life might have been.

I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences, and if not diagnosed, whether + for how long on a waiting list (+ with which authority) or if you are self-identified.

We may be able to gather some interesting or useful data along the way Thinking

• Additionally, I am running out of things to do in hermit mode that I enjoy, so I’m considering new-horizons.

All the best with your 'new horizons'.

• We are, therefore, fortunate indeed  …yet I still feel cheated.

Nicely put.

• It's been a long but life changing journey

All the best for your journey going forward Steam locomotive

• Happy A-day!

referral time: 18 months

Age at A-day: 27

A-day date: 2023

method: private via nhs

local authority: Worcestershire

Response on A-day: Elation, followed by breathless exhausted distress.

feelings now: comfortable and thinking on what proverbial-poison I should pick for my next adventure.

Additionally, I am running out of things to do in hermit mode that I enjoy, so I’m considering new-horizons.

• Nice thread, Debbie…

Age at Diagnosis: 67

Date of Diagnosis: 2020

Method: Private

Response: At last I understand so many of my past difficulties and failures, but as I recall the loneliness of it all, I think of those who went before us; at least I/we have lived long enough to get these answers and explanations. We are, therefore, fortunate indeed  …yet I still feel cheated.

Ben ASD. 

• Thanks Debbie. It's not far from my house so I'll be able to see my dog at lunchtime, very important! 

Anyway, I'm off topic. I forgot to say, if I'm diagnosed by the NHS, it will be North East and North Cumbria. Waiting time is long, but not as long as some places. 

• Interesting thread. Thanks for making itSlight smile 

This is mine for what it's worth.

Wait time from GP referral to diagnosis: a couple of years. 

Age at diagnosis: 7.

Date of diagnosis: 2004.

Method: nhs.

It's been a long but life changing journey. 

• Yes, most of my chronic illness collection has links with autism! Getting an acknowledgement that the way I perceive what's happening in my body is both real AND different to how neurotypical people perceive the same thing has also been helpful, just in a more general "standing up for myself as a disabled person" way.

• All the best both with your diagnosis, and your new job.

New jobs can be very daunting but once you've been in it a while and it's more familiar, hopefully the challenges will lessen.

• Thanks.

Interesting how the diagnosis has supplied an 'acknowledgement' with respect to your physical health (if I am reading you correctly).

• I am waiting and am told it will be 12 months. I may look at alternatives. For me understanding that I am autistic explains pretty much everything I was told was 'wrong' with me growing up. I am pleased to have a context for so many feelings and behaviors, which now make sense! 

I haven't time to think about diagnosis at the moment as my focus is on my new job, which begins in September. I haven't had a regular job for 6 years and am not sure whether I'll cope, I hope I will. I will be working with autistic children, which I consider worthwhile. I am both excited and terrified! 

• Wait time from initial referral to diagnosis: 3 months

Wait time from initial suspicions/self-identification: six and a half years! (I was refused a referral and it put me off for a long time)

Age at diagnosis: 35

Date of diagnosis: March 2023

Method: private assessment after self-referral

Company: Autism Oxford

Response on diagnosis: relief, mostly! I cried after I got off the phone. I felt vindicated- I'd been treated so horribly when I first started to suspect I was autistic, and I've experienced so much medical gaslighting for my physical health, that I really needed that external acknowledgement to prove me right. And it did.

It's still too soon to say what my feelings will be long-term. I wish I'd been diagnosed sooner, but maybe not as a young child- I think a diagnosis as an older child or teenager would have given me time to prove I could do things while still giving me time to obtain the support I needed at university (and didn't get in reality). Ultimately though I'm just really glad that I know, because it's given me an explanation for so much of my life and a nice bit of shorthand to use when I discuss that with others.

• Thank you Blush

I'm glad it's been enlightening for you.

• Harley Psychiatrists

Same as me, but mine was NHS via 'Solutions for Diagnostics'.

Thank you for sharing this.

I find the road others have travelled to get to this place very interesting.

I knew more about what was driving me.

A good point.

• Congratulations! 

It's been nearly ten years since my diagnosis. I feel I know and like myself better than when I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed through NHS, after a 2 year wait.

• I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences,

Wait time to diagnosis: 2 weeks ( I went directly to an expensive but available company of psychiatrists)

Age at diagnosis: 54 years

Date of diagnosis: 2021

Method: private company

Health Authority/Company: Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it explained some behaviour that got me into some serious trouble and explained a lot about my choices in life so I knew more about what was driving me.

Feelings a year on: neutral - it was very useful but I tend to look on it as an explanation for things. I have no regret for what could have been different or resentment about why it wasn't spotted before. It is all in the past and other than learning from it, it cannot be altered so I don't waste energy on it.

I'm trying to turn it into a special interest so I can help myself and others as the absence of support concerns me.