Diagnosis anniversary

It’s coming up to the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis, so I thought it needed a thread.

Here are some pertinent facts.

Wait time from GP referral to diagnosis: 10 months (total)

Age at diagnosis: 60 years

Date of diagnosis: 2022

Method: private company via NHS

Health Authority/Company: Surrey and Borders/Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it gave me a context for why I’ve ‘failed’ at various stages during my life and a ‘get out of jail free card’ for choices I now make.

Feelings a year on: similar.  I have a context for everything.

However, there are times when I do think about, if I was diagnosed earlier, or if I wasn’t autistic, how different my life might have been.

I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences, and if not diagnosed, whether + for how long on a waiting list (+ with which authority) or if you are self-identified.

We may be able to gather some interesting or useful data along the way Thinking

Parents
  • I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences,

Wait time to diagnosis: 2 weeks ( I went directly to an expensive but available company of psychiatrists)

Age at diagnosis: 54 years

Date of diagnosis: 2021

Method: private company

Health Authority/Company: Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it explained some behaviour that got me into some serious trouble and explained a lot about my choices in life so I knew more about what was driving me.

Feelings a year on: neutral - it was very useful but I tend to look on it as an explanation for things. I have no regret for what could have been different or resentment about why it wasn't spotted before. It is all in the past and other than learning from it, it cannot be altered so I don't waste energy on it.

I'm trying to turn it into a special interest so I can help myself and others as the absence of support concerns me.

• I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences,

Wait time to diagnosis: 2 weeks ( I went directly to an expensive but available company of psychiatrists)

Age at diagnosis: 54 years

Date of diagnosis: 2021

Method: private company

Health Authority/Company: Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it explained some behaviour that got me into some serious trouble and explained a lot about my choices in life so I knew more about what was driving me.

Feelings a year on: neutral - it was very useful but I tend to look on it as an explanation for things. I have no regret for what could have been different or resentment about why it wasn't spotted before. It is all in the past and other than learning from it, it cannot be altered so I don't waste energy on it.

I'm trying to turn it into a special interest so I can help myself and others as the absence of support concerns me.

Children