Diagnosis anniversary

It’s coming up to the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis, so I thought it needed a thread.

Here are some pertinent facts.

Wait time from GP referral to diagnosis: 10 months (total)

Age at diagnosis: 60 years

Date of diagnosis: 2022

Method: private company via NHS

Health Authority/Company: Surrey and Borders/Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it gave me a context for why I’ve ‘failed’ at various stages during my life and a ‘get out of jail free card’ for choices I now make.

Feelings a year on: similar.  I have a context for everything.

However, there are times when I do think about, if I was diagnosed earlier, or if I wasn’t autistic, how different my life might have been.

I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences, and if not diagnosed, whether + for how long on a waiting list (+ with which authority) or if you are self-identified.

We may be able to gather some interesting or useful data along the way Thinking

Parents
  • Nice thread, Debbie…

Age at Diagnosis: 67

Date of Diagnosis: 2020

Method: Private

Response: At last I understand so many of my past difficulties and failures, but as I recall the loneliness of it all, I think of those who went before us; at least I/we have lived long enough to get these answers and explanations. We are, therefore, fortunate indeed  …yet I still feel cheated.

Ben ASD. 

• Nice thread, Debbie…

Age at Diagnosis: 67

Date of Diagnosis: 2020

Method: Private

Response: At last I understand so many of my past difficulties and failures, but as I recall the loneliness of it all, I think of those who went before us; at least I/we have lived long enough to get these answers and explanations. We are, therefore, fortunate indeed  …yet I still feel cheated.

Ben ASD. 

Children