Diagnosis anniversary

It’s coming up to the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis, so I thought it needed a thread.

Here are some pertinent facts.

Wait time from GP referral to diagnosis: 10 months (total)

Age at diagnosis: 60 years

Date of diagnosis: 2022

Method: private company via NHS

Health Authority/Company: Surrey and Borders/Harley Psychiatrists

Response upon diagnosis: positive – it gave me a context for why I’ve ‘failed’ at various stages during my life and a ‘get out of jail free card’ for choices I now make.

Feelings a year on: similar.  I have a context for everything.

However, there are times when I do think about, if I was diagnosed earlier, or if I wasn’t autistic, how different my life might have been.

I wonder if others would like to share their diagnostic experiences, and if not diagnosed, whether + for how long on a waiting list (+ with which authority) or if you are self-identified.

We may be able to gather some interesting or useful data along the way Thinking

Parents
  • I am waiting and am told it will be 12 months. I may look at alternatives. For me understanding that I am autistic explains pretty much everything I was told was 'wrong' with me growing up. I am pleased to have a context for so many feelings and behaviors, which now make sense! 

I haven't time to think about diagnosis at the moment as my focus is on my new job, which begins in September. I haven't had a regular job for 6 years and am not sure whether I'll cope, I hope I will. I will be working with autistic children, which I consider worthwhile. I am both excited and terrified! 

• All the best both with your diagnosis, and your new job.

New jobs can be very daunting but once you've been in it a while and it's more familiar, hopefully the challenges will lessen.

• Thanks Debbie. It's not far from my house so I'll be able to see my dog at lunchtime, very important! 

Anyway, I'm off topic. I forgot to say, if I'm diagnosed by the NHS, it will be North East and North Cumbria. Waiting time is long, but not as long as some places. 

• Thanks Debbie. It's not far from my house so I'll be able to see my dog at lunchtime, very important! 

Anyway, I'm off topic. I forgot to say, if I'm diagnosed by the NHS, it will be North East and North Cumbria. Waiting time is long, but not as long as some places. 

Children
No Data