New Here Diagnosis help please

Hi I am 51 and have C-PTSD and OCD. I have struggled since forever with all sorts of things, but until recently, 8 months ago when I became so burnt out I could not function and was nearly hospitalised, that Autism was first mentioned. I have many of the symptoms, but I can communicate well, I have learnt what people like to hear and even if I don't mean it, I say it because I know that is what you are supposed to say or act. I find it really tiring and often have to have quiet alone days where I rest and do nothing, but had never put them both together before.

Anyway my therapist has sent a referral to my GP and this is where it falls down. Had to wait 5 weeks for a phone appointment which lasted 3 minutes and the GP couldn't see my referral (my therapist hand delivered it) he also couldn't give me any info on how long the waiting list is, or on right to choose. He said someone would call me in a few days with the info. No call so I rang back to be told they had my referral but no further info and someone would contact me with info by end of week. Still no call

Is this normal for Autism referrals also does anyone know what wait list times are like in the North West? I know they vary all over the UK. But I feel like I have waited so long to get a proper diagnosis, always being fobbed off with it's just generalised anxiety, until this time when I completely burnt out. Would really appreciate some advice

• So I have an appointment for my assessment next week!!!! Only been on the waiting list two weeks! Happy but scared 

• Hi EI. That is who i have been referred to and they rang me today. I have my assessment next week! Scared and happy at the same time. How did you find the assessment with them? 

• Just to let you know I was also suggested Sarah and i have contacted her and really happy with her response and I am going to take forward now for my 21 year old daughter.  The fees are incredibly reasonable given other places in Birmingham are offering £2k for video call appointments only,

• I went through the NHS (Lancashire). It only took about 9 months. I was referred by NHS to Clinical Partners, who do private diagnosis, but were outsourced by the NHS in this circumstance, so to be clear, I did not pay anything. The hardest part about the whole thing was talking to my GP, but after that it was more straightforward. The most annoying part is that you do not find out where you are on the waiting list or how long it will take, but like I said, mine was only 9 months from going to the GP.

• So I work for nhs, there is a thing called right to choose uk. Basically, it is your right to choose where you receive your services as long as they match the nhs criteria (psychiatry uk) for example . Speak to your GP request a right to choose form to for your assessment and the nhs has to pay it and the wait could be less x hope that helps 

• Hi

I have found out my referral has been sent off, so guess I wait for a letter confirming I have ben accepted, and hopefully find out how long the waitlist is. I am the opposite prefer video call to 1 to 1. Glad you are finding ways to process it all 

• I have completed the online tests, all came up as on the Autism spectrum and to look into getting an assessment Slight smile

• Hi, I had to email my gp a couple of times. From first seeing him to being accepted was about 5 months. The wait time was 2 years from then. I’m now 18 months in from first seeing my gp, I  email the assessment team every 6 months to check the time scale hasn’t altered and that I’m still in the queue. Was quoted £2,000 from a private provider, I’m happy to wait as it’s taking that amount of time to process my life and how I cope with being autistic.

I prefer the way I will be assessed as it will be in person, don’t cope too well with video calls. I am a similar age to you. (55)

• The tests are at embrace-autism.com/.../ . I have just accepted I an Autistic but that it will take 2-3 years to get an official diagnosis.

• Hi is £400 - £600 the amount the amount they charge. I know about this organisation.

• Thanks Charlie, I contacted Sarah and she emailed back with full details of her service. She said their referral is recognised by the NHS and it seems to be affordable. She can offer me an appointment late May. But you are right, best to look into it thoroughly and I will run it past my NHS therapist/phycologist first Slight smile

• I was quoted £1250 to go private. If you do go down that route research fully where you go as some surgeries won’t take a diagnosis from a private assessment depending on where it is or what type of assessment it is. Get advice from your doctor/consultant rather than just looking for a private place online honey x

• Thanks, still spending lots of time figuring things out, what I need or want, but defo better for me to know.

• Thank you I will have a look 

•  Hi I am in Cumbria. I have completed an AQ10 with my therapist/phycologist who also sent a covering letter with how unwell I have been and still am. So fingers crossed my wait is similar to yours. Hope you are feeling better now you have your diagnosis

• Yes I could, but I thought it was more £2,500

• Hi Salsa, I'm in Manchester, was diagnosed in January, I consider myself lucky as for me it took about 9 months.  I've no idea why that was and as the other reply says some people wait years.  Could be postcode lottery, could be that I unknowingly ticked a box - at the time I was signed off and in a fairly bad way.  Doctor would not refer me without a face to face appointment to go through an AQ10 and a bunch of other questions. I'd defo try and get a face to face to appointment with the GP to move the referral on.

In the meantime stay safe!

• 3 years! Gosh I might as well just give up now then. So rubbish, people who obviously are being referred because they are struggling have to wait 3 years. Thanks for reply though