Autistic fatigue?

Hello im new here, my name is Gareth, 41 years old, I was diagnosed in 2020 just before pandemic hit. Fun times. Grinning

Every few months I have been hitting a wall in terms of energy levels, I enjoy working out as part of my routine and when these energy dips happen it can take a few weeks for them to return to normal.

Ive just heard about autistic fatigue and was wondering if anybody else has experience of this in regards to their energy levels?

Thanks

• Yes I think the last year or so I’ve become so tired. It’s really getting to me. Sometimes no matter how much sleep it doesn’t make any difference. And even if I wake feeling full of energy, after driving my dog to a walking spot and back again has me pretty much broken for the rest of the day. I feel like I need a good month or two off of life but that’s never going to happen. I haven’t always been like this, I presume it’s everything catching up with me. Maybe if I could actually get a doctors appointment I’d ask them about it. 

• I'm often tired for no obvious reason. I don't think it's entirely a physical thing as I feel fantastic while I'm running alone listening to my music, for example, although I have learned that I need to eat more than I think I do after running and have plenty of sodium and potassium to recover. Apart from that, cutting back on social stuff and having a few quiet evenings in bed with a book is the best remedy.

I have a history of people telling me it's actually depression and I need to do MORE social stuff to remedy it, which definitely does not work! That approach is guaranteed to drive me into a meltdown.

• Yes I get this. It can be a debilitating part of autism and life changing. I'm already exhausted just half an hour after waking up and then getting through the rest of the day can be a struggle. 

I've taken to going for power naps throughout the day. It helps. You should do the same if you need to. 

• Yes, I definitely get autistic fatigue. For a long time it was hard to figure out how much of my fatigue was due to chronic illness versus anxiety versus being introverted. In realising I was autistic I also found that a lot of the exhaustion I'd put down to anxiety and/or introversion was actually autism related- not all of it, but definitely the "hitting a wall" feeling I get any time I've had to mask for an extended period.

• Do bears defecate in the woods?.......well, not every fortnight or so if they are autistic, because they can't find the energy!

Gareth - Yes.....my ability to function within "reasonable limits" is a constant balancing act;

I can find superhuman stamina, efficiency and inspiration that can last for hours, days, weeks, and even months.   

I can be blighted by a black dog of exhaustion, inefficiency and 'zombie mode' that can last for hours, days, weeks, months and (for my mega burnout = years.)

Be careful with yourself - that it my advice to any autist who hasn't yet experienced/understood just how burnt out some of use can become........and I reckon it tends to hit the ones who generally don't "suffer" so much generally because they have learned to "power-through."

In my experience, "powering-through" should only ever be used VERY sparingly !

• Most definitely. Mine seems to be at the fairly extreme end. Ever since I can remember I tire easily. Even a bit of light housework has to be followed by a liedown and deep snooze. I was out on Friday night, which is a rare outing for me - and it will be days before the deep fatigue from that starts to properly lift. Even in my 20s (I'm 45 now) I would have to sleep on the sofa for a good while in the evenings as soon as I'd got in from work and eaten

• I'm undiagnosed, should have read before hitting reply button

• Hi Gareth, I'm new too. Diagnosed, but working on that.  I'm learning all the time and the people on here are lovely, supportive and full of advice.  I'm not sure about autistic fatigue, but I hit a wall every evening.  I can be wide awake and with it and within seconds I'm gone, asleep.  My hubby just smiles at me as he is used to it now but I wonder if it's down to making my actions and behaviour.

I'm sure some one will come along and have a better idea, but just wanted to say hi and share