Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

• Nope.

Never.

In fact, the idea exhausts and terrifies me in equal measure.

But thank you for the suggestion Scream

• Hey there. Have you considered hiking Mount Kilimanjaro? IMO, if you don't know what to pick, you'd rather choose something new that you've never been to. We went hiking Mount Kilimanjaro last year. It changed my way of perception of the world. I went there with my GF, so we realized we'd never be the same when we returned home. Check these places [link removed by moderator] if you decide to go there. It's worth it. "A ship is always safe at shore, but that's not what it was built for."

• I love holidays but hate the travel part because of the anxiety. Once I am there I love holidays because u can be me. Am not adventurous always go to places where they are likely to speak English. I am not a typical brit abroad I do try local food and drink. I do like going back to resorts.  I plan massively about where we will go and where things are. Not a fan of UK holidays as I like the sun and palm trees, US is my favorite. The UK just feels like everyday life, just too boring for me.

• Your sleeping place sounds perfect! 

• I avoid travel as much as possible. The only exception are hiking/backpacking holidays which I love but sadly am unable to do since 3 years now due to injuries. I think the reason that I love hiking holidays are that there is a very predictable in built routine in them-  I love planning everything myself in a lot of detail. Every day has a predictable routine- get up early, breakfast, fill up water, finish packing bag and set off at dawn for the day: enjoy nature and let your mind be free!! Then when I arrive in the hut: shower, relax, at some point plan route for next day (check weather), dinner in hut where you can meet some people if you want - sleep early and repeat!! It’s extremely comforting and soothing- i love it- in fact when i’m on these trips i never ever want to come home again.

but all other holidays and travel i find too stressful- they disrupt routine etc and just very unpredictable... 

i will need to get used to some form of travelling again as my job involves going to conferences occasionally but I am petrified...

• I can relate to a lot of that.

In fact, hotel rooms are a big problem for me as I usually sleep in my own quiet room, at the back of the house, alone.

The old saying 'there's no place like home' is quite true for some of us.

• I know when to go to the park to look for baby coots and when to head to the neighborhood at the top of the hill to see blossom. I know which cafes I like and which armchair in the library is most comfortable.

Nice Blush

• Your time in Italy sounds wonderful Roy.

I would love to drive on the continent, especially see some of France, but only if I wasn't driving!

In an ideal world it would be a fully fitted camper van, then that would be 'home' and I could get used to it.

• I used to enjoy the excitement when I was younger, but much of it from the airport onwards involved alcohol which helped me relax.

Anyway, I took a trip to Malta a couple of months back. I used to live there and thought I’d revisit my old home.

The stress was unbearable. I left my first hotel due to the noise. I could hear chairs scraping and buses hissing constantly. I went to another hotel on the island and developed a lift phobia. I had major panic, convinced I’d get stuck and die. I’d sometimes leap out before the doors shut. God knows what they thought if they could see me on CCTV!

I barely slept the whole time. Hardly spoke to anyone. Would hide in the corner when I went out to eat. I questioned how I ever lived there and ran a business. It was all down to the routine and structure I once had. Also, the fact that I was engrossed in my interests. Without this, I flounder big time and anxiety takes over.

The flight was unbearable too. There was a constant queue to the toilet which meant having someone’s buttocks stuffed in my face for three hours. No thanks. Never again.

• Hi Debbie, I love Italy as well, Rome was a very busy place obviously, I really loved Florence, I accidentally booked the wrong hotel. There are two with the same name. The one I had booked turned out to be 15km from Florence. It turned out to be the best thing we could have done. The hotel was 50 metres from the Station, really pretty Piazza and family owned restaurants. 2 euros for the train and only 20 mins in and out of Florence. We could dip in and out of all the noise of the city and enjoy quiet evenings and much cheaper food. Another great visit is Cinque Terre, five villages along the coast with a train joining them together, we got the train from Pisa and also took a bus to Portofino. Went to Milan last year, that was nice, Genoa was a favourite, I do all of these as two cheap easyJet flights and an Airbnb, I only book an apartment that I don’t have to share any space with others. I prefer a Monday to Friday and have set a limit now of 4 hours flight time, Italy is less than two and The Canary Islands are just 4 hours. I went to California once and swore I would never fly that far again. Another favourite is to drive from Pisa up to the Tuscan mountains, villa with own pool set in private grounds, no interaction with anyone if wish that. I don’t like swimming that much but my sons loved it. Home Owners direct for Villa, really cheap. A pint bottle of Peroni from a supermarket is €1.

• I hate travel and don't see the point of going somewhere if I'm not going to live there for at least a year. I enjoy getting to know a place intimately and optimising my interactions with it. e.g. in my local area I know which walking/running routes are at their prettiest and feel nicest underfoot at each time of year. I know when to go to the park to look for baby coots and when to head to the neighborhood at the top of the hill to see blossom. I know which cafes I like and which armchair in the library is most comfortable. All of that gives me enormous satisfaction, as does discovering any new piece of information that I know I'll use over and over again.

Going somewhere for a week with no intention of returning there feels like a week has been stolen from my life. We went on a lot of holidays when I was a kid, always in term time because it was cheaper, and I resented missing school.

I also dislike the mechanics of travel: being squashed into a small plane/bus/train with lots of other people, and then having to navigate an unfamiliar environment when you get where you're going. It's stressful and can take me literally years to recover from.

• Where did you go in Italy?

I went to Rome.

Loved the Vatican and Colosseum and Forum.

Second holiday was Sorrento.

Had a coach and boat tour of Amalfi coast.

Also Capri, Vesuvius and Pompeii.

• I lived and worked in 3 countries, Poland, Slovakia, and UK, and I can tell it's easier to get by without people noticing you're autistic everywhere except home country. I've been on holiday in Italy 3 times and I loved it.

I would like to travel more, but life commitments don't let me, one have to work to pay bills, and amount of holiday days is limited.

I would like to visit Greece and Turkey to see ancient ruins, like those in Italy. Magnificent.

I would like to go on foot from north to south of Africa, one day I will maybe they will take me in in some forgotten village to teach english and math, it would be nice retirement. They wouldn't know about autism there most likely.

I avoid people as much as possible. though there are moments when it's not possible, e.g. checking in a hotel. And cheap hotels are worn out and often dirty, smelly, dusty, and full of grumpy staff, I don't dare to complain in person to one of those.

But you can go through the airport flying abroad without having a single exchange of words or eye contact !!! Just don't forget a book to read, or something that will keep you focused on throught waiting in lounge and flying, plus headphones, or earplugs to disconnect the noise.

If I could arrange everything and pay for everything online and go somewhere and spent 2 weeks without saying a word it would be my dream holiday.