Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • I lived and worked in 3 countries, Poland, Slovakia, and UK, and I can tell it's easier to get by without people noticing you're autistic everywhere except home country. I've been on holiday in Italy 3 times and I loved it.

I would like to travel more, but life commitments don't let me, one have to work to pay bills, and amount of holiday days is limited.

I would like to visit Greece and Turkey to see ancient ruins, like those in Italy. Magnificent.

I would like to go on foot from north to south of Africa, one day I will maybe they will take me in in some forgotten village to teach english and math, it would be nice retirement. They wouldn't know about autism there most likely.

I avoid people as much as possible. though there are moments when it's not possible, e.g. checking in a hotel. And cheap hotels are worn out and often dirty, smelly, dusty, and full of grumpy staff, I don't dare to complain in person to one of those.

But you can go through the airport flying abroad without having a single exchange of words or eye contact !!! Just don't forget a book to read, or something that will keep you focused on throught waiting in lounge and flying, plus headphones, or earplugs to disconnect the noise.

If I could arrange everything and pay for everything online and go somewhere and spent 2 weeks without saying a word it would be my dream holiday.

• Where did you go in Italy?

I went to Rome.

Loved the Vatican and Colosseum and Forum.

Second holiday was Sorrento.

Had a coach and boat tour of Amalfi coast.

Also Capri, Vesuvius and Pompeii.

• Hi Debbie, I love Italy as well, Rome was a very busy place obviously, I really loved Florence, I accidentally booked the wrong hotel. There are two with the same name. The one I had booked turned out to be 15km from Florence. It turned out to be the best thing we could have done. The hotel was 50 metres from the Station, really pretty Piazza and family owned restaurants. 2 euros for the train and only 20 mins in and out of Florence. We could dip in and out of all the noise of the city and enjoy quiet evenings and much cheaper food. Another great visit is Cinque Terre, five villages along the coast with a train joining them together, we got the train from Pisa and also took a bus to Portofino. Went to Milan last year, that was nice, Genoa was a favourite, I do all of these as two cheap easyJet flights and an Airbnb, I only book an apartment that I don’t have to share any space with others. I prefer a Monday to Friday and have set a limit now of 4 hours flight time, Italy is less than two and The Canary Islands are just 4 hours. I went to California once and swore I would never fly that far again. Another favourite is to drive from Pisa up to the Tuscan mountains, villa with own pool set in private grounds, no interaction with anyone if wish that. I don’t like swimming that much but my sons loved it. Home Owners direct for Villa, really cheap. A pint bottle of Peroni from a supermarket is €1.

• I have only driven once abroad, on the coast road around Gran Canaria. We chose the anti-clockwise direction, which was a big mistake. On every hairpin bend (many of them), halfway up a cliff, we were on the outside, near the drop. Because the gearstick is on the wrong side, almost every time I needed to change gear I scrabbled at the door handle first. Nightmare!

• Your time in Italy sounds wonderful Roy.

I would love to drive on the continent, especially see some of France, but only if I wasn't driving!

In an ideal world it would be a fully fitted camper van, then that would be 'home' and I could get used to it.

• Your time in Italy sounds wonderful Roy.

I would love to drive on the continent, especially see some of France, but only if I wasn't driving!

In an ideal world it would be a fully fitted camper van, then that would be 'home' and I could get used to it.

Children
  • I have only driven once abroad, on the coast road around Gran Canaria. We chose the anti-clockwise direction, which was a big mistake. On every hairpin bend (many of them), halfway up a cliff, we were on the outside, near the drop. Because the gearstick is on the wrong side, almost every time I needed to change gear I scrabbled at the door handle first. Nightmare!