Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • I hate travel and don't see the point of going somewhere if I'm not going to live there for at least a year. I enjoy getting to know a place intimately and optimising my interactions with it. e.g. in my local area I know which walking/running routes are at their prettiest and feel nicest underfoot at each time of year. I know when to go to the park to look for baby coots and when to head to the neighborhood at the top of the hill to see blossom. I know which cafes I like and which armchair in the library is most comfortable. All of that gives me enormous satisfaction, as does discovering any new piece of information that I know I'll use over and over again.

Going somewhere for a week with no intention of returning there feels like a week has been stolen from my life. We went on a lot of holidays when I was a kid, always in term time because it was cheaper, and I resented missing school.

I also dislike the mechanics of travel: being squashed into a small plane/bus/train with lots of other people, and then having to navigate an unfamiliar environment when you get where you're going. It's stressful and can take me literally years to recover from.

• I hate travel and don't see the point of going somewhere if I'm not going to live there for at least a year. I enjoy getting to know a place intimately and optimising my interactions with it. e.g. in my local area I know which walking/running routes are at their prettiest and feel nicest underfoot at each time of year. I know when to go to the park to look for baby coots and when to head to the neighborhood at the top of the hill to see blossom. I know which cafes I like and which armchair in the library is most comfortable. All of that gives me enormous satisfaction, as does discovering any new piece of information that I know I'll use over and over again.

Going somewhere for a week with no intention of returning there feels like a week has been stolen from my life. We went on a lot of holidays when I was a kid, always in term time because it was cheaper, and I resented missing school.

I also dislike the mechanics of travel: being squashed into a small plane/bus/train with lots of other people, and then having to navigate an unfamiliar environment when you get where you're going. It's stressful and can take me literally years to recover from.

Children