Disabled registration re autism: County Council

I found out today that I can register as disabled with my county council because of autism.

I was surprised by this and am not sure if this will be of benefit but time will tell.

The link is below for Hampshire (for info) but maybe others on the forum will have the same option with their council?

www.hants.gov.uk/.../registerasdisabled

• Yeah I’ve had a look at a few of the things they’ve suggested and it doesn’t look like I’d be eligible for hardly anything. I actually wonder if they just accept you because of one paragraph… 

County and local councils also benefit from a central government grant towards schemes for disabled people, based on the numbers registered.

This surely means that the more people they have registered, the more funds they get to spend. Maybe that’s why they gave me one so freely. Although I did have to give them my doctors details and phone number so I presume they checked my medical records. 

• Disabled RailCard - 0845 605 0525

Just looked that up.

These are the requirements:

If you are disabled or have a progressive medical condition you are eligible for the Disabled Persons Railcard if you:

• receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
    • receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Child Disability Payment (CDP) at either:
      • the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or
      • the higher or middle rate for the care component
    • have a visual impairment
    • have a hearing impairment
    • have epilepsy
    • receive Attendance Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance or Pension Age Disability Payment (PADP)
    • receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
    • receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
    • buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme
  • That's good and thank you for posting about it here.

I'm glad that you went ahead and got something.

Unfortunately I don't think I kept the letter mine came with but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as detailed as yours is, with a list of where it might be able to be used and other things you can apply for.

Good luck with using it, if you do.

• Hey Debbie. Thought you’d like to know I had a card arrive today. Though it’s just cardboard and signed by the person who runs that department at the council. Though not sure I’ll ever use it and equally unsure how it’ll help.

• I've just purchased a badge from Amazon that simply says 'I am autistic'.

I'll wear it when I use the card.

I think I noticed, or imagined, that the person I showed my card to for the discount, looked at me quizzically.

The badge will answer any unasked questions about my invisible 'disability' ...

• Thank you do much for your help. Often I don’t think GP doctors really know, I guess when they “is she disabled” I said no, but she has learning difficulties and autism. As a mother I guess I didn’t want to say she is actually disabled. 

• The GP dismissed it as she is not disabled.

I'm surprised by this.

I'd like further clarification on this too because I read in various places that autism is a condition and/or a developmental disability.

My council had autism on the application form and didn't specify it had to be a certain level in order to be registered disabled with them.

This site refers to autism as a developmental disability:

www.autism.org.uk/.../what-is-autism

My daughter is young and suffering and can’t get out.

So sorry to hear this and that you have tried to help and been frustrated in your attempts.

Although this throws it being classed generally (ie unqualified) as a disability into doubt.

I find this rather confusing:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/check-if-youre-protected-from-discrimination/what-counts-as-disability/

• I tried to get my daughter,  who is 21 registered as disabled as I thought it may help her support wise. She has ASD and her mental health means she doesn’t really go out, have friends etc amongst other issues. I was told this is possible through her GP. The GP dismissed it as she is not disabled. I am wondering what disabled is. My parents are now disabled as they are old and frail and can’t get out. My daughter is young and suffering and can’t get out. It’s a tricky one. 
    any thoughts

• Thanks Debbie. I’ve just submitted it, and feel scared, I don’t know why. I guess at worst they can say no. Tbf I literally don’t go anywhere alone. Only the dentist, doctor and Sainsbury’s in the morning when it’s quiet. That’s literally it, if I ever do go anywhere else it’s with a family member or I just wouldn’t go. 

• I don’t know if I’d feel a fraud doing it. But on the other hand it’s not like we get any other sort of help. 

That's similar to my attitude in asking for the discount and your 2nd sentence says it all.

I really do think we should take the few opportunities for 'benefits' that come our way.

• Our council page says it can also help with social housing points if you are in social housing. I wonder if they would want more information then. I am already in social housing but it just got me thinking if it may help further down the line if I needed to move into more suitable place. They do want my doctors address though. I don’t know if I’d feel a fraud doing it. But on the other hand it’s not like we get any other sort of help. 

• No, not in depth, just that I have a diagnosis, and I didn't have to prove it either, which surprised me.

I think the card is for discounts only.

If anything is available with your council, I'd go for it, if I were you.

It's good to have something.

Info link below:

https://www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/adultsocialcare/registerasdisabled

• Interesting. Did you have to explain in depth on the form about your autism, or just state that you had a diagnosis. Is the card purely for discounts? I’ve looked in my council but it doesn’t really specify autism, it says learning disability and mental health. I just wonder if it’s useful to have on file if you came into difficultly with housing etc. 

• I used this card for the 1st time today.

I went to the D Day Museum in Southsea.

They have a discount for 'disability'.

I doubted that I am disabled even though I have the card!

So I tentatively asked for this discount, passing over my card, expecting to be questioned eg. 'what is your disability, I can't see one.'

This didn't happen.

So, I went into the museum feeling a bit like a fake.

However, the exhibition itself has sound running constantly telling the story and I found myself completely unable to read anything because of the words from the sound playing going through my head at the same time.

Also, each room has an extra film that can be run on request, so I ended up quite often with 2 lots of talking in my head.

This meant I missed out on quite a lot and actually went through it quite quickly to avoid the constant loud talking.

I thought, for the 1st time, well, maybe this is the autism then? and I felt validated Blush

• That’s great! Thanks for letting me know. 

• Well, surprisingly, a card has just arrived that says 'this card certifies that the holder is registered with Hampshire County Council as a disabled person under the National Assistance Act 1948'.

• Thank you.

I haven't heard back and didn't receive an email acknowledgement.

One of the questions asked about 'qualifying' benefits.

Although not made clear I now suspect you need to be in receipt of a 'disability' benefit to get the card.

If I hear back I will report here.

All the best in return Blush

• Thanks for posting, I had a look at my local council but it’s mainly for disabled children. Good luck and all the best.