Disabled registration re autism: County Council

I found out today that I can register as disabled with my county council because of autism.

I was surprised by this and am not sure if this will be of benefit but time will tell.

The link is below for Hampshire (for info) but maybe others on the forum will have the same option with their council?

www.hants.gov.uk/.../registerasdisabled

Parents
  • I tried to get my daughter,  who is 21 registered as disabled as I thought it may help her support wise. She has ASD and her mental health means she doesn’t really go out, have friends etc amongst other issues. I was told this is possible through her GP. The GP dismissed it as she is not disabled. I am wondering what disabled is. My parents are now disabled as they are old and frail and can’t get out. My daughter is young and suffering and can’t get out. It’s a tricky one. 
    any thoughts

• The GP dismissed it as she is not disabled.

I'm surprised by this.

I'd like further clarification on this too because I read in various places that autism is a condition and/or a developmental disability.

My council had autism on the application form and didn't specify it had to be a certain level in order to be registered disabled with them.

This site refers to autism as a developmental disability:

www.autism.org.uk/.../what-is-autism

My daughter is young and suffering and can’t get out.

So sorry to hear this and that you have tried to help and been frustrated in your attempts.

Although this throws it being classed generally (ie unqualified) as a disability into doubt.

I find this rather confusing:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/check-if-youre-protected-from-discrimination/what-counts-as-disability/

• Thank you do much for your help. Often I don’t think GP doctors really know, I guess when they “is she disabled” I said no, but she has learning difficulties and autism. As a mother I guess I didn’t want to say she is actually disabled. 

• Thank you do much for your help. Often I don’t think GP doctors really know, I guess when they “is she disabled” I said no, but she has learning difficulties and autism. As a mother I guess I didn’t want to say she is actually disabled. 

Children
No Data