Disabled registration re autism: County Council

I found out today that I can register as disabled with my county council because of autism.

I was surprised by this and am not sure if this will be of benefit but time will tell.

The link is below for Hampshire (for info) but maybe others on the forum will have the same option with their council?

www.hants.gov.uk/.../registerasdisabled

Parents
  • I used this card for the 1st time today.

I went to the D Day Museum in Southsea.

They have a discount for 'disability'.

I doubted that I am disabled even though I have the card!

So I tentatively asked for this discount, passing over my card, expecting to be questioned eg. 'what is your disability, I can't see one.'

This didn't happen.

So, I went into the museum feeling a bit like a fake.

However, the exhibition itself has sound running constantly telling the story and I found myself completely unable to read anything because of the words from the sound playing going through my head at the same time.

Also, each room has an extra film that can be run on request, so I ended up quite often with 2 lots of talking in my head.

This meant I missed out on quite a lot and actually went through it quite quickly to avoid the constant loud talking.

I thought, for the 1st time, well, maybe this is the autism then? and I felt validated Blush

• Interesting. Did you have to explain in depth on the form about your autism, or just state that you had a diagnosis. Is the card purely for discounts? I’ve looked in my council but it doesn’t really specify autism, it says learning disability and mental health. I just wonder if it’s useful to have on file if you came into difficultly with housing etc. 

• No, not in depth, just that I have a diagnosis, and I didn't have to prove it either, which surprised me.

I think the card is for discounts only.

If anything is available with your council, I'd go for it, if I were you.

It's good to have something.

Info link below:

https://www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/adultsocialcare/registerasdisabled

Reply Children
  • Thanks Debbie. I’ve just submitted it, and feel scared, I don’t know why. I guess at worst they can say no. Tbf I literally don’t go anywhere alone. Only the dentist, doctor and Sainsbury’s in the morning when it’s quiet. That’s literally it, if I ever do go anywhere else it’s with a family member or I just wouldn’t go. 

• I don’t know if I’d feel a fraud doing it. But on the other hand it’s not like we get any other sort of help. 

That's similar to my attitude in asking for the discount and your 2nd sentence says it all.

I really do think we should take the few opportunities for 'benefits' that come our way.

• Our council page says it can also help with social housing points if you are in social housing. I wonder if they would want more information then. I am already in social housing but it just got me thinking if it may help further down the line if I needed to move into more suitable place. They do want my doctors address though. I don’t know if I’d feel a fraud doing it. But on the other hand it’s not like we get any other sort of help.