Project management training

Hi all. I would be interested in hearing if anyone on the spectrum has had problems with project management training? I am trying to do a PRINCE2 course, but I am really struggling to get my head around all the concepts, interconnecting parts and concurrent processes. I have failed my foundation exam and I don't know if it is that I am not trying hard enough (I have done two 12 hour days to try and pass the exam which others on the course have managed).

I don't know if it is something that my brain can't cope with, or if I am just being rubbish as I am normally really good at remembering things.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.  I am formally diagnosed with ASD level 1.

• Navigating project management concepts can definitely be overwhelming, especially with the added challenge of ASD. I remember when I was diving into a certification course, I hit a wall with understanding certain frameworks. It's not about being "rubbish" or lacking effort—it's about finding the right approach that works for you. Don't hesitate to explore different learning methods or seek out additional support tailored to your learning style. Tools like Monday Project Management can simplify complex processes, making it easier to grasp.

• I studied PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner in 2005 (we had reams of essays to write then, rather than the more modern multiple-choice elements). 

I admit that I did find it really tough. (However, I did pass, so please do take encouragement; that you might yet find your own route to achievement).

Things which I personally found definitely helped me along "my" route to "pass":

- used a paperback copy of the manual (often available secondhand),

- used coloured plastic sticky tabs which you can write on with a ballpoint pen,

- used an A3 paper copy of the PRINCE2 process model / map (I needed that "bird's-eye" view),

- tried very hard to remind myself that, in the long run, it did not matter that (not to get distracted by) e.g. I hated the hotel & food for that week, I could get a bit fed up if the Tutor kept pandering to some of the delegates from bigger named companies, it was frustrating that several of the delegates were all talk but offered little real contribution, that it was annoying that some folk were clearly only there to write PRINCE2 on their CV ...whereas I wanted to use it in my workplace,

- I decided that I really wasn't there on the course to make friends and influence people, therefore I took each coffee break as a chance to pick up some water and then step outside for some air, change of scene and quiet time (to micro-refresh myself),

- I just stayed for the main course of the provided evening meal and then sat silently studying in my hotel room each evening - using a timer to remind me to drink water regularly,

- got strict with myself that sleep was a priority (deploying all mechanisms to aid sleep known to me),

- during the exam scenarios I kept trying to visualise "if I were doing this for real in the workplace, what would I prioritise in the available time?", or "if I were sharing the essentials of this knowledge with a colleague, what might I say or what explanatory diagram would I draw?"

It is true to say that lots of workplaces say you must have PRINCE2 ...only to then not let you actually do it and they instead use some ancient project management framework (often involving ridiculous spreadsheets).  However, there are companies / organisations who do value a PRINCE2 outlook, attitude, rigour and communication style - so I am glad that I persevered and found the way to achieve PRINCE2 - albeit via a route which suited me best.

Best wishes for your experience of your studies over the coming year.  (That is said with an encouraging smile from me).

• [spam removed by mod]

• Wow, it's been two years since you shared your struggles with project management training. I hope you've made progress since then, whether in conquering PRINCE2 or exploring other avenues. Remember, learning curves are part of the journey, and setbacks don't define your abilities.

• I did prince 2 in my 20's and really really struggled. Once I got it I never used it once, despite the fact that everyone at the organisation was supposed to do Prince 2 standards for projects. 

Tried to train for a new IT data analysis system last year (in my 40's) could not keep up at all. I feel like my ability to retain information has greatly diminished over the years! Didn't help that the system used stupid names for parts of the system that have nothing to do with the services they could provide. 

• The struggle is part of the process, and everyone's brain is wired differently. It's certainly possible that the ASD level 1 diagnosis you mentioned could be affecting how you process the information, but it doesn't make you "rubbish" at all.

• I've heard from many people that PRINCE2 can be quite complex to wrap your head around, especially with all those interconnected parts and processes.

• I've heard from many people that PRINCE2 can be quite complex to wrap your head around, especially with all those interconnected parts and processes. But remember, everyone's journey is unique. What works for others might not work exactly the same for you, and that's perfectly okay. It's great that you're determined to pursue this despite the challenges. If you ever decide to pivot toward becoming a professional project manager, the [Link removed by moderator] could be a solid option. It offers a broader perspective on project management and might be a better fit for your learning style.

• Beginnings are always challenging. Why do you complicate your life by thinking about failure? It must encourage you to try again and enjoy success. Reading your post, I remembered myself at the beginning of my career. After graduating, I was looking for a job. However, it wasn't easy to adapt to a new environment. Moreover, I had to work in different unknown systems for me. After changing companies, I found the best for me. My colleagues are friendly, and I work well with my project management system. My idea is that you should see the right solution to your problem. Maybe it requires some changes, or perhaps just a little rest. Don't give up!

• I went for something I can do with little effort, that will increase level of my qualifications, because college diploma + no experience means you stuck, can't get entry level job - overqualified, can't get advanced level either - no experience

another question is, if the course is to give you enlightment of sorts, or is it supposed to be means to help you have easier life.

• That does makes absolute sense.  I would love a paper copy of the book to annotate - or even a PDF copy, but it can only be accessed via a clunky, user unfriendly webpage (it is an online course, and I presume the provider doesn't want the PDF to be shared when they can charge hundreds of pounds for the course - they charge about 90 quid just for the manual).

I have switched off on the course completely - I have told the trainer I will not resit the foundation, nor will I do the practitioner this week (I have 12 months to sit them).  He hasn't been massively helpful, but in fairness to him, I don't think there is a lot he can do to help - he also has a class of around 10 other people to get through both exams in a week.

My plan is to go over this in slower time in the next couple of months to try and get my head round it - and I am going to try and learn the concepts using a scenario that I understand.  The trainer told me I should understand enough to pass foundation when I have done the practitioner, but having done the first day of practitioner yesterday, I am even more confused.  The mock exam questions might as well be written in ancient Egyptian, because I frankly didn't have a clue what the questions meant, let alone which answer was correct.

It's very depressing and frustrating.  I think the approach you suggested of just learning with the goal of passing the exam in mind is the best approach.  I can at least use the manual in the practitioner - not that I find the online manual particularly accessible or easy to use.

Thanks for your advice Martin, it is appreciated.

• Don't worry - I completely agree with you! My biggest worry was that I was doing something wrong - but realistically I don't know what else I could do.  I am turning off to the trainer talking endlessly about these concepts -I just lose interest and it all washes over me and I am very tempted to get on with something else, as I have little interest in something I simply do not understand.

• I'm sorry, I might have sounded bit rough, I did not want to offend you

I just enrolled to do IT+Math (honors) at OU, parttime, that'll be peace a cake, especially math

• seems hideously overcomplicated for complication's sake.

so managers could pretend they are important wise and busy

• it's not something that autistic brain can comprehand fully

for me it is 'mambo-jumbo' and falls in to the same category as instructions for interviews, and how to write CV

• It's probably not the most helpful answer, but it's an honest one: I didn't really focus on the concepts, I just focused on getting through the exam, put loads of sticky labels all over my manual (marking out the various stages, roles etc), so that I could find them quickly, and concentrated on exam technique. I managed projects before and since - I can't say I did anything different after the course to what I did before it. It was good to have on my CV, though, which was the only reason I did the course. Sorry, I realise that won't help you very much.

• How did you get your head round it all though?  It is so abstract and I simply can't visualise and understand all the moving parts and what they do in a project.

I too have managed projects and this whole method just seems hideously overcomplicated for complication's sake.

• Hi Wombles, I work as a Project Manager, and did PRINCE2 a few years back. In all honesty, I didn't find it that useful. I passed the exam, but that was because our tutor, at something like Day 4 of a 5 day course, told us all the tricks involved in PRINCE2 exams. So from memory it was things like 'If a question involves a statement with the word never or always in it, it will always be false in a true or false question.' There were lots of other similar things which I forget. So in all honesty the whole thing was an exercise in getting people through the exam, rather than building understanding. Don't be put off, I find quite a lot of autistic people work in project management.