Do those of you on the spectrum fear the future due to our disability with ASD or is it just me.

Just find the future looks so bleak at times I'm lucky as still live my parents I'm not high functioning and I'm just ASD. Struggle with understanding things like bills and budgeting I guess along with getting work. My disability isn't visible or one you can here so it's hard to exsplain it to regular people and get any understanding from them. Is there support you can get for when your parents eventually pass. There not going anywhere anytime soon luckily as there only in there 60's but I almost feel like I wouldn't know how to survive or cope without them. Suffer baddly from anxiety don't go out because of it that and I don't have ideal social skills so usually end up offending people not on purpose but because I can come across as as a bit blunt and opinated but the future genuinely terrifies me.

• Are you channelling the spirit of Albert Camus, by any chance?

• Yep one of my biggest fears in life being homeless I guess. And feeling *** because I'm from a privaled middle class background and know people have it harder than myself

• Yeah it kind of eats away at you later on too as you feel that you shouldn't of alowd and blame yourself for it even when it others then you wonder why your minds so phycnical and lack the tollernce to tolerate or trust others even though you'd like to and like to see things in better life and realise there's always someone off worse than you are even though your brain can't process it that way 

• Yeah, well...

I don't think I really care about many things, so I don't worry about many things. Take every day as it comes, with an eye to the future. Adapt when necessary. Decide where our levels of survival, comfort, and affluence are, and live/plan accordingly.

I think people tend to worry too much about stuff that isn't worth worrying about, while missing bigger picture stuff. Whatever that actually means.

Try to treat each individual with dignity and respect. Try to do the right thing on an individual level. But I don't spend much time worrying about stuff that isn't my responsibility or concern, or stuff I have zero control over.

But I've always viewed life as survival, as existing. Be in the shadows, be like water trickling through the cracks, be in the inbetween. Meander, be resilient, go with the flow. Decide your own path.

• Yeah im probably the 1993 strugeling to cope in this modern well where you feel like your treading on eggshells white people made to feel shame all the time due to history men made out to be evil and not really getting political correctness cause I don't feel like it applies to those of us on spectrum no matter what your race or background. I imagine being on the spectrum is even harder for those who are of ethnic minroty groups.

• Yeah can relate to that I guess cause if you can't see a future you kind of live the moment rather than thinking about saving and budgeting I guess. Along with trying to make the most of it before you have to live you own and become skint like everyone ellse.  Then you realise you probably do need start saving and being a bit more sensible about saving and putting stuff aside.war and the end of world doesn't frighten me I guess more the thoughts of sucide and taking my own life before time runs out I guess. Having a fairly phycnical mind set kind of feels like something I can't get out of. Probably more fed up about herring about climate change as that's the least of my worries. 

• The future hasn't been made yet. When it arrives, it'll be now.

I've always pretty much lived in the moment, not thinking about the future a great deal. That's probably why I'm skint and have no retirement plans, something I'm working on right now, finally, and probably too late.

Due to some personal experiences, I learned early on that we could drop dead at any moment so there were no guarantees, only hopes. Live in the now. It's the only thing we've got. The future is what we create, so choose wisely.

Having said that, I'm Gen X, the best generation, the Slacker Generation, the apathetic nihilist generation, hahaha. I probably embraced those tropes a bit too much, but hey, why not?

Blackouts, winter of discontent, we had an outside toilet and no central heating, punk (yay), grapes were a luxury that you only got if you were sick, Reagan and Thatcher, the beginnings of greed as a 'positive' attribute, people thought Boy George was a strange looking woman. And, for quite a while, the very real possibility of nuclear annihilation.

Of course, there were many other terrible conflicts  and social ills all around the world, and still are.

It was a wonderful time to be alive.

Nothing much changes, we are human. 

But judging things from back then, NOW is a pretty good future. If we're careful, we could make the next future even better.

• Everything comes in its own time, Dawn. We're all on the same journey... to learn how to live in the present moment and recognise when we're living in our mental movies of the past and future—which is so painful.

• It's not what happens to you in life, it's how you react to what happens to you. You can either wallow in self-pity and bitterness and live sadly ever after, or you can forgive, accept and move forward and live happily ever after. It's a choice.

If you have experienced all these terrible things that tells me you are a special human being—and one of the lucky ones. You've been given amazing gifts—amazing opportunities to access the indescribable joy, peace and abundance that can only be accessed through acceptance, forgiveness and the death of the ego. 

Many people lead monotone, uneventful lives, with nothing more than minor ups and downs, births, deaths, marriages, divorces and package holidays to Ibiza. They live in 2D, meaningless, passionless, carbon copy lives, and eventually die 
    without ever experiencing true love and the majesty of creation. 

• well, my retirement plan is shattered, alternative is go homeless on bahamas LOL, so I avoid thinking about it now.

3rd option become a local shaman sort of, to be exact old highlander weatherteller, not many learn how to do it, and I found out the secret

my mom is healthy and strong she will continue for a long time hopefullly, because it would be on me to take care of her, because I'm single, and my sisters are married with children

• I'm employed and well educated and still really struggle with my finances. If my husband didn't keep a check on our money then I'd constantly overspend. Most of our debt is due to me, he was really good with money until we started pooling our money together in a joint account. Recently, I've told him to take more control again. It's exhausting trying to do these things but there really does not seem to be any support. I think I'd just be in a terrible financial situation if I were a single adult and probably be in a deep depression. 

• I do try to get around things and go another way to get to the place I want to be, always have. Finding strategies. (This Is probably my overwhelmed a** talking right now) lol I've been worrying too much lately. Thank you. I needed to read that. 

• Medical phobias not yet solved but other than that, there has always  been a work around for me. Stuff can get tough but there's always another method which works with not against my autism and dyslexia. I've done a lot of stuff in life differently from others and it's more tiring, but I've done it! I've taught dyslexic and autistic kids too. Just taught them using the capabilities they did have rather than ones they didn't. Same way I taught myself.

There's no one size fits all answer. If you can't do it like others do it, try to think of a different way to do it. I find it helps to see what my barrier is to doing something. Then think of a way which avoids or reduces that barrier. Some things work, others don't. But often you can get there with a bit of 'out of the box' thinking.

• Goodness that's deep. I can appreciate that philosophically. Just wish I could genuinely feel it that way, lol

• I do. Very much so. Over here there is nothing like government support for us. At all. My parents are 74 now and I do worry that some time, hopefuly not soon, they will not be around. We do have some patrimony but...

They tried to shelter me, probably way too much and even though I'm almost finishing a degree I feel like I'm losing the battle because I'm overwhelmed like never before. Also, it seems that no matter what I do, I can't organize my things, my life or even tasks. Is this "adulting"? Do I also need to be taugh how to function? Sometimes it seems I'm going back on some of them. (Seizures don't help with that) 

(I live Alone, but we're very close)

• I think anxiety goes with the terrain. I worry about the future. Everyone worries about the future. But we worry about it more. We need our certainties more than most.

Taking risks has been a hard lesson for me to learn. Still trying to learn it to be honest. I don't like big unplanned change.

Best thing you can do now I think - horrible as it sounds - is start finding the support/ learning or practicing the skills now for life without them.

Actually, whilst no one likes to contemplate their own mortality, if your parents have a good understanding of you and ASD, they might already be thinking about how you'd cope without them and might want to help you make provision/preparation now.

Bless her my mum wants to help me now. She's 81 and dependant on me. There's that to think of too. Have you siblings to step in when they are older and more frail - for you and them?

• Warhammer

that's what kept me going during college

respite from bullying

I discovered that there was a group in my city about 10 geeks doing it frequently, and they did not object when I asked to join them.

It's embeded in Chaos Star Eye of Tzeentsch

• I can sympathise with you on this because I too was bullied my whole school life and the school I attended could do anything. The school and local authorities are just pure lazy.

• Not really sure how to respond I guess appreciate the senterment. But I don't know. Bare in mind I've never exsactly been sheltered from elements. Thrown into a shity state went to a camunity spent most of my life just fighting to survive or fighting off bullies in general or trying to under myself and even others. Been sabatogaed been herrased been beaten been black mails. When you realise just how toxic can people trying to imagine a future that isn't scary isn't that simple