Do those of you on the spectrum fear the future due to our disability with ASD or is it just me.

Just find the future looks so bleak at times I'm lucky as still live my parents I'm not high functioning and I'm just ASD. Struggle with understanding things like bills and budgeting I guess along with getting work. My disability isn't visible or one you can here so it's hard to exsplain it to regular people and get any understanding from them. Is there support you can get for when your parents eventually pass. There not going anywhere anytime soon luckily as there only in there 60's but I almost feel like I wouldn't know how to survive or cope without them. Suffer baddly from anxiety don't go out because of it that and I don't have ideal social skills so usually end up offending people not on purpose but because I can come across as as a bit blunt and opinated but the future genuinely terrifies me.

• Yes I'm definitely scared of the future. I just wouldn't cope on my own and I know it. I've tried working but I just can't cope. I lose the job. I've no friends. Basically just me and my family, well my dad and step mum. I lost my birth mum a few years ago to cancer and for a few years I just lost it. I was sectioned and spent six months in hospital. If anything happens to dad I'm sure the same thing will happen. It terrifies me.

• I like thought-slaying. Badass xD

• Hi 1234

Try not to worry about the future, I feel like I do struggle with understanding how bills and budgeting works as well. I think sometimes if we think about too many things it can get to us, it can feel overwhelming. I like getting a little bit of support when I'm out and about, my mum usually goes with me to the shops and we enjoy each others company. I think the future will be a little difficult for me but I try not to panic too much. My mum and dad are in their 60s as well, with my mental health some days can be okay while other days can be hard. The internal battle in the mind, I have harm ocd.

• I'm certain it was the last real time (up until the mid-80's at least) that humans enjoyed their last gasp of freedom. It was the last time that people could still be true individuals, and were still free to have independant thoughts that diverged from corporate orthodoxy, it was not long after that the architects of Neoliberalism swallowed the Media, bought off Academia, sponsored The Arts and funded Science, leading us blindly out of the semi-chaos of democratic capitalism into the consumer-slavery of Corporate fascism that we live under today.

• I don't call it that. It doesn't feel right. Our minds are already full with repetitive thoughts, imaginary futures and faulty memories. If anything, it would be better to think of it as "mindemptyness". Or, perhaps, "thought-slaying".

• We're all daydreaming, exist—every last one of us, or rather, we are all being dreamed. And who wants to wake up from a beautiful dream? No one, not unless it becomes a nightmare.  Then, we'd give anything t be woken up.

• You love it  Laughing 

They like to call it "mindfullness" now... *rolls eyes*

• I do look back with fondness, but that period definitely left a mark Slight smile

I do enjoy the healthy level of cynicism that it seemed to leave many of us with. Sometimes when I tell much younger people about grapes, Boy George, tape cassettes, and nuclear threat etc, they think I'm taking the p*ss. Smiley

Fun times. But nostalgia is always somewhat rosey, haha.

And, of course, our view will always be skewed by socioeconomics. But it definitely felt like a true period of change and possibility. But I was young, and shortly after, the reality of adult life began to set in hahaha.

• That, or I'm just a daydreaming oblivious fool Smiley Smiley

• I don't remember much about music in the 90's. It all seemed quite drab to me, but I was out of the UK and living in France, working at Disneyland in Paris, so all I heard where Disney Songs. Music, and life were very exciting in the 80's. Lots of new inventions and possibilities were dawning as we came out of the gloomy 70's.

• When it arrives, it'll be now.

Relaxed

• Best music in the 80's too. I was 1993 so born in the nu metal generation but punk and metal was so much better in the 80's like bands like sham 69 the clash the sex pistols dead Kennedys etc along with stuff like airborne iron maiden Ozzy.

• I was there too... Grinning the 80's were the greatest decade in my opinion. 

• Meander, be resilient, go with the flow

very Zen

• Try to treat each individual with dignity and respect. Try to do the right thing on an individual level. But I don't spend much time worrying about stuff that isn't my responsibility or concern, or stuff I have zero control over.

same here

• No, it's not simple. Misery loves company.  It's a tough path to walk when most people we encounter encourage and validate our fears, agreeing with us when we tell them how awful our life has been and how fearful we are of the future. Most people are unhappy and receive consolation from knowing that others are unhappy too.

• There is a two tier system for Autistic adults I'm afraid although many autistic adults born between 1940 and 1995 will be fearful of the future because depending on where you live, there's really no support out there!

Where is your evidence for this? I was born in the 70s, but none of your assertions are true for me (apart from the one about living on my own).  But living on my own is a choice, not a result of my autism. I haven't met another human being who I want to live with and so I’d rather live on my own and be responsible for my own happiness than live with someone for the sake of it and who makes me feel unhappy. I think we shape what happens to us through our outlooks on life and the choices we make. Often the most toxic people in our lives can be ourselves.

• Non, je ne crois pas. Je dirais plutôt celui d'Aberforth Dumbledore...

• That's good I think more of us on the spectrum should be the ones to teach it rather than nuros as we understand it better than those that don't. Mind you we probably wouldn't make the best therapists as we still need nurological who can empathise where we strugel can't speak for all of us I guess as it depends on what of the spectrum your on but yeah I respect that.