Jealousy- does anyone else suffer from it?

I would say one of my biggest faults is jealousy.

I don't know why, but it is. I don't like it. But looking back over my life it has caused me most problems.

I don't know if jealousy is linked to autism or not.

Does any else find this a problem?

Parents
  • I'm very jealous of women who get on well with other women. I would really like some close friends but I have no success making friends....over the years women I've met and have liked have not shown any desire to form a relationship with me and yet they do with many other women. I've listened, I've shown compassion, honesty, humour, generosity, but still they don't want to know. I despair.

• Oh yes, me too! Seeing groups of female friends together laughing, joking, sharing secrets. I'd LOVE to have that. My cousin said when she had a baby, she met 'a great group of girls' in the postnatal class and they're forever friends now.

After I had a baby, I was just bullied by my post natal group members and so had to find another group. That group too viewed me with suspicion and I never got this group of female friends I wanted. I don't know what I do wrong.

• I'm sorry that's happening to you too. I never made any friends in post natal class either. I had given up /didn't have the confidence to try because of previous failures to make friends (I was an older Mum of 35 when I had my son so I'd had plenty of experience to conclude that I was rubbish at forming friendships). I was just an outsider, an observer of the other women forming bonds. It felt so unfair.

I'm interested to know how you found maternity leave? I had a terrible time. I felt so isolated and in a state of permanent fear and dread. I couldn't wait to get back to work. Don't get me wrong - I adore my son, he is 11 now and I am a completely devoted mother, but that time when I was looking after him as a baby was the bleakest time I've ever known. I wanted to run away.

• Thank you. I think I deserve a medal tbh. The perfect wife and mother- I brought my daughter up and didn't hurt or abandon her. I didn't run off with another man, however lonely and frightened I was. I gave absolutely everything to my family. It's only recently I learned to put myself first.

I agree about the nurture. There are so many people on this forum who have difficult relationships with their mothers. Could it have affected us?

• I'm so pleased that your daughter is now well. And yes, you should feel really proud that you got through it and raised your daughter well! It sounded like a hellish situation.

There is another similarity in yours and my circumstances. I had a very difficult relationship with my mum too.

I read that ASD isn't entirely genetic, that there is also a nurture aspect to it. I wonder if our relationships with our mothers in our formative years contributed to our ASD? It could go the opposite way too: did our ASD contribute to our relationship problems?

• I'm so pleased that your daughter is now well. And yes, you should feel really proud that you got through it and raised your daughter well! It sounded like a hellish situation.

There is another similarity in yours and my circumstances. I had a very difficult relationship with my mum too.

I read that ASD isn't entirely genetic, that there is also a nurture aspect to it. I wonder if our relationships with our mothers in our formative years contributed to our ASD? It could go the opposite way too: did our ASD contribute to our relationship problems?

Children
  • Thank you. I think I deserve a medal tbh. The perfect wife and mother- I brought my daughter up and didn't hurt or abandon her. I didn't run off with another man, however lonely and frightened I was. I gave absolutely everything to my family. It's only recently I learned to put myself first.

I agree about the nurture. There are so many people on this forum who have difficult relationships with their mothers. Could it have affected us?