Driving and parking

I didnt learn to drive until I was 25 and needed to drive for the work I do. I have always found it something that causes me anxiety, particularly if driving in busy places, unfamiliar places, or needing to park in crowded spaces or closed in spaces such as multistorey car parks. 

In my follow up appointment with my assessor she suggested that I apply for a blue badge. Has anyone else here got a blue badge that isn't for a more visible disability? Have you applied and been turned down? Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

• In some ways I feel my ASD makes me a good driver because of attention to detail and being good and following the rules of the road. But my anxiety lets me down a lot. I try to go out when it's quietest, I avoid the busy places and I always make sure I've got resources in the car such as medical kit, bottles of water, food and a flashlight with spare batteries. Driving is fun. I passed my test when I was 24 and I do enjoy it but it can be stressful to do.

• so you are ok with it now ?---- my nephew is using driving as a stepping stone to his first micro plane flight  

• Smiley    Most people learn to drive using GTA and then move onto F & F 

I think most people have about 15 driving lessons compared to 3000hrs of GTA  Smiley

• at first i was scared of driving but then i watched fast & the furious

• Lots of physically disabled people don't look disabled. This is something that disables people more than it should! Nobody should have to justify why they are disabled. A friend once had problems getting the disabled toilets opened in mcdonalds because he was in his teens at the time, looked trendy in basketball/skater style fashion, but what nobody can see from his appearance is that he has crohns and has a colostomy bag. So he had to whip up his top and shop everyone in mcdonalds his almost overflowing colostomy bag to justify why he was asking for access to the toilet, a basic need that everyone should be able to have met without needing to beg and humiliate themselves. 

I wont be explaining myself to anyone who challenges my blue badge use. I've gone through the application process like anyone else and met the criteria. You wouldn't be given one if you weren't eligible. They don't hand them out easily. I had to get my assessor to fill out a 5 page form to accompany my application for mine. 

• I'm exactly the same with parking. It causes me a lot of anxiety if its busy.

I'll go far out of my way to park in a quieter area, even if it means a longer walk.

I too had briefly considered a blue badge (I was diagnosed earlier this year), but

1) I'd feel really embarrassed if I was using it and deprived someone in more need of a space

2) I don't "look" disabled. My current car is quite sporty and this would definitely provoke challenges !!

3) As Plastic said, it might come back to bite me with the DVLA.

4) I've had a license for 38 years and have generally gotten by so far!

• Have you ever had any do-gooders challenge you for not looking disabled? This is my next fear. 

• Hello,

I drive and applied straight away for a blue badge as soon as the scheme was extended. I have Dyspraxia and applied for this reason. I would not be without as it it has been so helpful with being able to park in a larger space at the shops. It has taken away a lot of the stress involved in going to town. It freed me from car park charges and and time limits so well worth the application and cost.

• This is part of why my anxiety is increasing. I've started a new job which covers a much wider geographical area than my previous job, so my anxiety about all the unknown journeys I'm going to be facing once I've got started in the job properly really fills me with dread. I'm hoping having a blue badge will just take some of the edge off a bit of that anxiety when at least I won't struggle to park as much (hopefully) 

• You only need to inform them or the DVLA  if your driving is affected - if you're ok, you're ok.

Most of us are hyper-vigilant - which tends to be range-limiting due to physical effort required to do long distances.

I think there's a panic-thread on here from a couple of years ago when the DVLA 'accidentally' changed the working so anyone with autism MUST declare - but they changed it back to the original 'only if it affects' wording a few day later.   

That caused a lot of anxiety for a lot of people.

• lol, Now im worried! Do I need to inform DVLA?? genuinely!

• After reading this discussion yesterday, I rang my insurer today to let them know of my diagnosis.(I worry a bit!)

I was told, unless I have been advised by a medical professional or DVLA not to drive, then they are fine and it will not affect my cover.

• And just in case people don't know...

You can apply for a blue badge even if you don't drive, 'cos it goes with the person not the car. My aunt used to have one which she used when her friend took her shopping in her car.

• Yeah, my autism doesn't affect my driving as such. I once hit a car reversing with my clutch only, which is probably something that only I could achieve Joy

• I'm not saying it's for unsafe driving - it's the condition that gets you the badge that can shoot yourself in the foot with the DVLA - you can imagine "give me a Blue Badge because I'm blind" may raise some questions..... Smiley    (I know a few blind people with Blue Badges because it enables their carer to take them places).

• I'm glad that they're doing something about it. 

• I am aware, I'm a social worker Grin 

My issue is more around car parks and anxiety finding parking. I'm actually a hypervigilant driver that drives to the letter of the law so I'm probably a better driver than most. 

Blue Badges aren't about being a potentially unsafe driver anyway but about accessible parking. 

• after u mentioned your application for a blue badge,, I talked to a "Blue badge" expert I live close to, she agreed with what you where saying.  I then told her about the NIdirect ( Northern Ireland )  sites. She is now tackling them for their false/wrong application/displaying  of the law ! 

Hopefully the Web Sites here will be updated

so thanks Michelle

• Congratulations on the Blue Badge.  Smiley

I'm not sure if you're aware, but any disability that affects your driving safety should technically be reported to the DVLA,

https://news.motability.co.uk/everyday-tips/can-i-drive-with-autism/

It can get messy with having to be judged competent and it may affect your insurance.

Do you feel you're safe on the roads?  (And yes, there's loads of really rubbish drivers out there that don't need to jump through hoops because they're 'normal').