Driving and parking

I didnt learn to drive until I was 25 and needed to drive for the work I do. I have always found it something that causes me anxiety, particularly if driving in busy places, unfamiliar places, or needing to park in crowded spaces or closed in spaces such as multistorey car parks. 

In my follow up appointment with my assessor she suggested that I apply for a blue badge. Has anyone else here got a blue badge that isn't for a more visible disability? Have you applied and been turned down? Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

• Just to update in case anyone was interested, I qualified for a blue badge based on my anxiety around driving and parking. I've not received it yet but other people who share this type of anxiety may want to consider applying for one. It won't take away everything that makes me anxious about driving but it'll ease some aspects of it hopefully. 

• I thought I had replied to this but my message mustn't have sent. The reason the criteria was expanded was to reflect the significant anxiety some of us experience with driving and parking. If you don't experience that then that is great. Unfortunately I do and driving is a significant part of my job so I cannot avoid it. Multistorey car parks cause me the greatest anxiety and that's the only type of car park I can currently park in for my work base. 

• i dont want one,,  to me its for people who really need it ----- i was interested once when injured and couldnt walk more than 100 yards for months but my injury was temporary which i am truly thankful for.

• Also, I think mobility in DLA covers a few things and not just physical mobility - I don't know about in Northern Ireland though and I could be wrong anyway

• If you Google, you can still apply with a hidden disability in NI, they just haven't amended the law.

• northern lreland criteria

You can get a Blue Badge if you:

• receive the higher rate of the mobility part of Disability Living Allowance
    • receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement
    • receive a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme within tariff levels one to eight (inclusive) and have been certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) as having a permanent impairment which causes inability to walk or a lot of difficulty walking
    • are registered blind
    • receive eight points or more under the 'moving around' activity for the mobility part of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to use, or have a lot of difficulty using, all or some types of parking meter
    • have a permanent disability which means you cannot walk or have a lot of difficulty walking - in this case your doctor may be asked to confirm your eligibility
  • I once swung my car into a pillar in the staff car park because I got so used to parking at certain sides and angles to things that I got complacent about my routine and didn't even think to look before swinging my car out of a space. At least the car park was made very well and didn't come crashing down on top of me. I did lose my wing mirror though.

Funny in hindsight how this sort of scenario is caused by change in routine and I just wasn't aware of how set in my ways I am. 

• Yes I'm aware of this, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually got experience of applying and what the response was. 

The hidden disabilities criteria was included in 2019 I think to include autism, adhd, anxiety and panic disorder, dementia amongst many others. My father-in-law had a blue badge with dementia long before he stopped being able to physically walk.

• I have difficulties parking and manouevring. However, I was self-taught in clutch control. It isn't perfect, I have had a few ***-ups, but overall I do well. I din't need the Blue Badge, personally. Slight smile

My main issue is observation, which is the most fundamental aspect of the driving test manouevres. My mind is hyper-focused on accuracy, I tend to ignore key panes of glass.

• I just looked it up and it looks as though different councils have different rules on who qualifies.  You probably knew that though and wanted examples.