Driving and parking

I didnt learn to drive until I was 25 and needed to drive for the work I do. I have always found it something that causes me anxiety, particularly if driving in busy places, unfamiliar places, or needing to park in crowded spaces or closed in spaces such as multistorey car parks. 

In my follow up appointment with my assessor she suggested that I apply for a blue badge. Has anyone else here got a blue badge that isn't for a more visible disability? Have you applied and been turned down? Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • Just to update in case anyone was interested, I qualified for a blue badge based on my anxiety around driving and parking. I've not received it yet but other people who share this type of anxiety may want to consider applying for one. It won't take away everything that makes me anxious about driving but it'll ease some aspects of it hopefully. 

• Congratulations on the Blue Badge.  Smiley

I'm not sure if you're aware, but any disability that affects your driving safety should technically be reported to the DVLA,

https://news.motability.co.uk/everyday-tips/can-i-drive-with-autism/

It can get messy with having to be judged competent and it may affect your insurance.

Do you feel you're safe on the roads?  (And yes, there's loads of really rubbish drivers out there that don't need to jump through hoops because they're 'normal').

Reply Children
  • Lots of physically disabled people don't look disabled. This is something that disables people more than it should! Nobody should have to justify why they are disabled. A friend once had problems getting the disabled toilets opened in mcdonalds because he was in his teens at the time, looked trendy in basketball/skater style fashion, but what nobody can see from his appearance is that he has crohns and has a colostomy bag. So he had to whip up his top and shop everyone in mcdonalds his almost overflowing colostomy bag to justify why he was asking for access to the toilet, a basic need that everyone should be able to have met without needing to beg and humiliate themselves. 

I wont be explaining myself to anyone who challenges my blue badge use. I've gone through the application process like anyone else and met the criteria. You wouldn't be given one if you weren't eligible. They don't hand them out easily. I had to get my assessor to fill out a 5 page form to accompany my application for mine. 

• I'm exactly the same with parking. It causes me a lot of anxiety if its busy.

I'll go far out of my way to park in a quieter area, even if it means a longer walk.

I too had briefly considered a blue badge (I was diagnosed earlier this year), but

1) I'd feel really embarrassed if I was using it and deprived someone in more need of a space

2) I don't "look" disabled. My current car is quite sporty and this would definitely provoke challenges !!

3) As Plastic said, it might come back to bite me with the DVLA.

4) I've had a license for 38 years and have generally gotten by so far!

• Yeah, my autism doesn't affect my driving as such. I once hit a car reversing with my clutch only, which is probably something that only I could achieve Joy

• I'm not saying it's for unsafe driving - it's the condition that gets you the badge that can shoot yourself in the foot with the DVLA - you can imagine "give me a Blue Badge because I'm blind" may raise some questions..... Smiley    (I know a few blind people with Blue Badges because it enables their carer to take them places).

• I am aware, I'm a social worker Grin 

My issue is more around car parks and anxiety finding parking. I'm actually a hypervigilant driver that drives to the letter of the law so I'm probably a better driver than most. 

Blue Badges aren't about being a potentially unsafe driver anyway but about accessible parking.