Driving and parking

I didnt learn to drive until I was 25 and needed to drive for the work I do. I have always found it something that causes me anxiety, particularly if driving in busy places, unfamiliar places, or needing to park in crowded spaces or closed in spaces such as multistorey car parks. 

In my follow up appointment with my assessor she suggested that I apply for a blue badge. Has anyone else here got a blue badge that isn't for a more visible disability? Have you applied and been turned down? Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • And just in case people don't know...

You can apply for a blue badge even if you don't drive, 'cos it goes with the person not the car. My aunt used to have one which she used when her friend took her shopping in her car.

• After reading this discussion yesterday, I rang my insurer today to let them know of my diagnosis.(I worry a bit!)

I was told, unless I have been advised by a medical professional or DVLA not to drive, then they are fine and it will not affect my cover.

• After reading this discussion yesterday, I rang my insurer today to let them know of my diagnosis.(I worry a bit!)

I was told, unless I have been advised by a medical professional or DVLA not to drive, then they are fine and it will not affect my cover.

Children
  • This is part of why my anxiety is increasing. I've started a new job which covers a much wider geographical area than my previous job, so my anxiety about all the unknown journeys I'm going to be facing once I've got started in the job properly really fills me with dread. I'm hoping having a blue badge will just take some of the edge off a bit of that anxiety when at least I won't struggle to park as much (hopefully) 

• You only need to inform them or the DVLA  if your driving is affected - if you're ok, you're ok.

Most of us are hyper-vigilant - which tends to be range-limiting due to physical effort required to do long distances.

I think there's a panic-thread on here from a couple of years ago when the DVLA 'accidentally' changed the working so anyone with autism MUST declare - but they changed it back to the original 'only if it affects' wording a few day later.   

That caused a lot of anxiety for a lot of people.

• lol, Now im worried! Do I need to inform DVLA?? genuinely!