Do you have to take someone with you/give their contact details?

Hi,

I'm very conflicted. I have my assessment appointment on Thursday. My mum told me a year ago that 'since childhood, you've always isolated yourself at home and have had mood swings'. She now has no recollection of this, and has told me I was completely normal growing up. My dad corroborates the idea that there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I really want an autism diagnosis. It would explain so much (social) trauma I've been through and four psychiatrists have told me they believe I have it. Should I just not pass on my parents's contact details to the assessors?

• That's true - we can't live in what-ifs

• Sorry to hear your diagnosis came as such a shock Worried but yeah, my diagnosis has been coming for a while in that I've suspected I'm autistic for 8 years, and have been on the waiting list for 2, at the start of which some psychiatrists told me they believed I have it. I think it's possible I may deny the diagnosis too - but I think that will depend on how much I feel like I stick out from my peers. Thank you for the meditation recommendation. I downloaded headspace a while ago...should try using it for sustained periods!

• What might have been? - dunno - I've had a very 'full' life and retired at 49.      Would another version be any better?

• i was found by accident, sorta, so it was a big shock for me  i had no idea i was autistic  Couldnt speak for a week when I was told !  maybe it will be different for you,  everyone is different. I was also deep into meditation at time ( all sorts ) so maybe my mind was in a state of flux as well. You may even go through a stage of denial which is upsetting ------- all is ok now Slight smile

I still do meditation ( sitting,walking,mindfulness living) , which, like others here, has helped me greatly. 

• it took my mind about a year to settle down after my diagnosis

• Yes - you'll reprocess all of your past interactions and notice just how naive you've been-  but don't worry about it-  it's all learning for the new, self-aware you.

• Thank you from he good wishes!

Haha, I like that quip about the film!

It's a shame your abilities weren't cultivated and nurtured as they otherwise might have been :/

• was able to diagnose me with autism

Excellent!   Congratulations!

They say everyone has a photographic memory - but most people have no film  Smiley

Yes - I used to live about 200 miles away from here and I remember everything in such great detail - like it was yesterday.  

The teacher in my infant school spotted I was 'different' at 4 1/2 and wanted me to attend a special school where her husband worked - unfortunately, my parents were dumb and lazy and didn't take up the offer.

We moved down here in 1972.

When we moved down here, I was so advanced that the teachers at the school here didn't know what to do with me - so they let me do my own thing.     They had Lego and Meccano - I was in heaven - All the things I did and made were so impressive I was permanently being sent to see the headmistress to show her the latest device or gadget I'd just built.   but in reality, I was just academically abandoned for the year until I moved school into Juniors.

• Hey! Yeah, you're right in thinking I got it confirmed today! I've been feeling really happy and relieved, thanks, to know that it's not my fault I've behaved in certain ways and have felt certain emotions. Hasn't sunken in quite yet, though. I'm excited to allow myself to learn a bit more about autism, now that my diagnosis is official. Ideally, I don't want to go through a period of mourning for what cannot be or what could've been had I got my diagnosis sooner - I'm not sure if mourning is common

• Sounds like you have photographic recall! It's interesting hearing the drawbacks of having a really good memory, namely the loneliness. Thank you for typing all of this out. Pleased to say that, in spite of the lack of parental input, she was able to diagnose me with autism

• My diagnosis was done privately by the top man in the field - it took the form of a friendly conversation over a couple of hours where he skilfully laced all the questions together into the chat-  I was so naive that I didn't spot what was going on - hence the 'clearly has Asperger's' comments - with a background Savant presentation..

I remember everything in my world from the age of about 2.    I remember laying on the floor near the table & chairs while I had my bottle.     The legs of the table & chairs were satin black with gold ends with round feet.    I remember sitting behind the sofa alone while my mum was teaching my NT brother to speak.      I remember laying in the carry-cot on the back seat of a Mini Traveller.     I can remember the Pekingese dog with one eye that the old lady next door neighbour had.  

I can still draw a floor plan of my infant school when I was 4.    I know how many coping stones were on the island on the path outside our house.   I can draw a floor-plan to the house I lived in from 2-6 with accurate dimensions.

I have total recall of my entire life.        It's something I can't discuss with my (twin) brother and (older) sister because their memories seem to start at around 8.

• Hi there. Am I right in thinking you got a diagnosis confirmed today!! How are you feeling?

• I read another member saying that where they didn't know the answer to a question, the lack of response/evidence got construed as a sign of neurotypicality. As someone who has obtained a diagnosis, were you able to answer every single question concerning your early development?

• If you have significant others in your life the professionals would usually like to have their experiences of you to formulate a more accurate diagnosis. If you have nobody then no.

• I've not been through as assessment as a person your age (I am close to 50), but think that because you are 18+ you don't need to get your parents involved - looks like has answered this! Relieved

I hope that your assessment on Thursday goes really well for you and that the IT all works!

• I'm reluctant to bother someone, but will have to if they're persistent about it, I guess

• I hadn't considered that as a possibility, the idea they mightn't ask at all for anyone else to be involved.Thanks - and thanks for the affirmation!

• If they really want to speak to someone, could you ask them to contact a teacher or other Adult that knew you when growing up?

• Like you I was expecting to get my parents involved, but during the assessment they were happy to diagnose me without contacting them.

Remember you are not under any obligation to pass on your parents contact details.