Do you have to take someone with you/give their contact details?

Hi,

I'm very conflicted. I have my assessment appointment on Thursday. My mum told me a year ago that 'since childhood, you've always isolated yourself at home and have had mood swings'. She now has no recollection of this, and has told me I was completely normal growing up. My dad corroborates the idea that there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I really want an autism diagnosis. It would explain so much (social) trauma I've been through and four psychiatrists have told me they believe I have it. Should I just not pass on my parents's contact details to the assessors?

Parents
  • Hi there. Am I right in thinking you got a diagnosis confirmed today!! How are you feeling?

• Hey! Yeah, you're right in thinking I got it confirmed today! I've been feeling really happy and relieved, thanks, to know that it's not my fault I've behaved in certain ways and have felt certain emotions. Hasn't sunken in quite yet, though. I'm excited to allow myself to learn a bit more about autism, now that my diagnosis is official. Ideally, I don't want to go through a period of mourning for what cannot be or what could've been had I got my diagnosis sooner - I'm not sure if mourning is common

• it took my mind about a year to settle down after my diagnosis

Reply Children
  • Sorry to hear your diagnosis came as such a shock Worried but yeah, my diagnosis has been coming for a while in that I've suspected I'm autistic for 8 years, and have been on the waiting list for 2, at the start of which some psychiatrists told me they believed I have it. I think it's possible I may deny the diagnosis too - but I think that will depend on how much I feel like I stick out from my peers. Thank you for the meditation recommendation. I downloaded headspace a while ago...should try using it for sustained periods!

• i was found by accident, sorta, so it was a big shock for me  i had no idea i was autistic  Couldnt speak for a week when I was told !  maybe it will be different for you,  everyone is different. I was also deep into meditation at time ( all sorts ) so maybe my mind was in a state of flux as well. You may even go through a stage of denial which is upsetting ------- all is ok now Slight smile

I still do meditation ( sitting,walking,mindfulness living) , which, like others here, has helped me greatly.