Do you have to take someone with you/give their contact details?

Hi,

I'm very conflicted. I have my assessment appointment on Thursday. My mum told me a year ago that 'since childhood, you've always isolated yourself at home and have had mood swings'. She now has no recollection of this, and has told me I was completely normal growing up. My dad corroborates the idea that there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I really want an autism diagnosis. It would explain so much (social) trauma I've been through and four psychiatrists have told me they believe I have it. Should I just not pass on my parents's contact details to the assessors?

Parents
  • I didn't get anyone else involved with my diagnosis - my dad was dead and my mum was in total denial of my 'quirks' - normalising everything away.       She's long deceased now but looking back at her behaviours, I strongly suspect she was undiagnosed aspie too.

• Thank you! Sorry to hear your parents have passed

• thanks - but I'm an old fart - these things happen - but I was only diagnosed in my 40s - mid 50s now.

My report has '"clearly has Asperger's"  many times..  Smiley

• That's true - we can't live in what-ifs

• What might have been? - dunno - I've had a very 'full' life and retired at 49.      Would another version be any better?

• Thank you from he good wishes!

Haha, I like that quip about the film!

It's a shame your abilities weren't cultivated and nurtured as they otherwise might have been :/

• was able to diagnose me with autism

Excellent!   Congratulations!

They say everyone has a photographic memory - but most people have no film  Smiley

Yes - I used to live about 200 miles away from here and I remember everything in such great detail - like it was yesterday.  

The teacher in my infant school spotted I was 'different' at 4 1/2 and wanted me to attend a special school where her husband worked - unfortunately, my parents were dumb and lazy and didn't take up the offer.

We moved down here in 1972.

When we moved down here, I was so advanced that the teachers at the school here didn't know what to do with me - so they let me do my own thing.     They had Lego and Meccano - I was in heaven - All the things I did and made were so impressive I was permanently being sent to see the headmistress to show her the latest device or gadget I'd just built.   but in reality, I was just academically abandoned for the year until I moved school into Juniors.

• was able to diagnose me with autism

Excellent!   Congratulations!

They say everyone has a photographic memory - but most people have no film  Smiley

Yes - I used to live about 200 miles away from here and I remember everything in such great detail - like it was yesterday.  

The teacher in my infant school spotted I was 'different' at 4 1/2 and wanted me to attend a special school where her husband worked - unfortunately, my parents were dumb and lazy and didn't take up the offer.

We moved down here in 1972.

When we moved down here, I was so advanced that the teachers at the school here didn't know what to do with me - so they let me do my own thing.     They had Lego and Meccano - I was in heaven - All the things I did and made were so impressive I was permanently being sent to see the headmistress to show her the latest device or gadget I'd just built.   but in reality, I was just academically abandoned for the year until I moved school into Juniors.

Children