Do I feel without realising that I feel?

I was talking earlier with someone elsewhere about how it is quite common for Autistic people not to recognise their feelings and it got me thinking! I normally say that my usual 'emotional state' is 'comfortably numb' that is, most of the time, I feel nothing. Right now, sitting here typing this, I feel nothing. I've previously wondered briefly about Alexithymia and I've even done the Alexithymia test online BUT Alexithymia is essentially not recognising one's emotions yet on the rare occasion when I do 'feel' something, I do know what I am feeling at that moment in time, in fact I've always thought that I'm quite good at understanding my own emotions, when I feel them. But the talk I was having earlier made me start to question if it's more that these 'rare occasions' of 'feeling' something are actually more rare occasions of me actually recognising what I am feeling. Am I feeling all of the time and just unaware of it, except on rare occasions? Is it even possible to feel and not be aware of feeling? Perhaps I am just being dumb/naive/overthinking? What are other people's views about this please?

• Such a shame then that you're not allowed another prescription if you're able to prove that you can use it sensibly and are not at risk of becoming addictive. By the time you have another meltdown as bad as the last one I would guess it would takes days before you are able to access another prescription?

• Yea. My prescription has lasted me a year Due to me being very strict on sticking to the rule of taking only when needed. Or rather only when absolutely needed as a very last resort. 

• I've always been lucky enough that the GP lets me have a packet of 28 5mg diazepam to use PRN. Usually 28 lasts me a year or so, in fact the packet that I had before this one lasted me over two years as I only use them very occasionally. I think due to my profession I'm able to convince them that yes I do know what benzodiazepine addiction looks like and no I'm not about to go down that route. It really does help in times of very high anxiety!

• Diazepam! It’s the only med that has ever worked to calm me down in those moments. But i’ve Been told my prescription was a one off and I won’t be getting any more unless I have another meltdown as bad as the one that got me prescribed them! I know they can be addictive. I tried explaining that I only ever use it as a very last resort thing. I’m tired of intense emotions. I’m currently in the ‘wishing I was numb’ phase 

• I find that it takes me a while to work out what to do about intense emotions, for example, I was really stressed over and since the weekend yet it took me until today to figure out that taking a PRN diazepam (or two) to get my anxiety levels down might actually help. I tend to mentally flap around for a few days before I figure out what I need to do to help myself!

• I think I also feel things too intensely. Either that, or I am not as good at processing intense emotions as other people typically are.

I kind of prefer to not be feeling intense emotions - even feeling too happy makes me feel uncomfortable as it comes with being hyper which makes concentrating on anything so difficult. But then again, when I feel numb it tends to be times when I'm too overwhelmed with emotions and the numbness feels like the calm before the storm when I have to somehow deal with all the intense feelings, so I dislike feeling numb as well.

• I'm still trying to figure out if this is a natural neurological 'not feeling' or if it is more of a defense mechanism, or, most likely, a combination of the two. Time will tell....

...All of that, I say! Good Fortune To You, and end of M'Post, now. Slight smile

• I started this thread as a sort of self exploratory thread. I do sometimes feel, just not all the time or even every day, or even most of the come really. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a natural neurological 'not feeling' or if it is more of a defense mechanism, or, most likely, a combination of the two. Time will tell....

• Greetings to Miss Fantastic Fox... (!)... Maybe a bad thing, I have not read through this Thread, but I may offer a perspective based upon Your OP. There is a difference between 'not feeling' something and either 'not acting' upon it or 'not caring' about it. These are all normal things to feel, and occur during learning and/or self-defence. The fact that You recognise any 'feeling' of anything is a good thing, diferentiating Yourself from those who do not. 

Your OP is "feeling nothing"... well, GOOD! You are simply concentrating and/or focussed! But once finished, then *that* is the time to "feel" anything (!!)... (I Myself do lie awake a lot at nights, after writing upon here sometimes, fretting, worrying a lot about what was written!) As I said first of all, do not confuse concentration or carelessness or ignorance with "not feeling"... not feeling without realising it is built into One's own Body, and, just like Breathing or Heartbeats, if there is a problem, then it will will become a REALISED FEELING.

That is pretty much all I can say for now. (Sorry for the capital letters, I cannot use italics on My old Device.)

• I feel things way too intensely. People tell me that’s not true and I just *think* I feel more intensely than ‘normal’ but how can they know if they’re not in my head? 

Although i’m Numb in between intense feelings, I can cycle through intense emotions throughout a day. 

Yesterday I went from hyper to obsessing over the idea that someone I know might be suffering and obsessing over it till I felt I couldn’t cope with life. 

I’ve tried taking up Stoicism, the philosophy. And i’ve read accounts of people with Asperger claiming stoicism as a philosophy came very natural to them. 

I cant understand that. Maybe that’s because I’m ‘level 2’ autism I don’t know. I wish I could use the stoic philosophy practically but it seems i’m Just not wired that way. I can’t be ‘indifferent’ to external things that in the grand scheme of thing don’t matter. But I certainly could pass visibly as being ‘stoic’ in terms of facial expressions.

• 'When' I feel it does tend to be intense. Though I prefer to keep things even and most of the time I can achieve this. I don't tend to show emotion easily. Regardless of whether I'm numb, happy or sad, I tend to 'present' as quite flat. Calm on the surface, but sometimes bubbling away underneath.

I really could not handle emotions that fluctuated between high and low several times a day! Far. too. exhausting!!! When I do feel something, then one emotion a day is quite enough, one a month is even better! Why on earth would any man want someone to throw plates at their head to prove that they loved them?!

Extremes of emotion can frighten me, it depends on the context and the situation and who it is. I will put my hands up and admit to being rubbish at empathy though!  

• Just read your earlier comment too, duh!  You also mentioned safe and unsafe. I thought I was being so original too.    Thinking That's uncanny! 

• I relate to this.. I'm not that interested in being more emotional or having normal emotions. Emotional feels unsafe, unemotional feels safe. If I was normal I maybe wouldn't view it that way, but I'll never know... 

• Wow, interesting. I am intrigued to know whether others feel intense emotions, and whether you are OK with that. I am really not. I like "maintaining an even strain" .... too much emotion (mine or from others) makes me deeply uncomfortable. I think that has in the past caused people to think that I was cold or repressed as well.

One of the most disastrous relationships that I ever had was with a French guy. He thrived on high drama and I think would have been quite happy to see-saw between euphoria and black depression several times per day. He also felt that because I didn't shout, yell, cry or throw plates at his head, I clearly didn't love him (he even said that once). I on the other hand would have found that level of intensity quite scary.

Extremes of emotion actually frighten me. This is probably a large part of why I am viewed as having pretty much zero empathy. I can probably do sympathy better than empathy, but basically if there is extreme emotion involved I will go quiet and withdraw completely, because basically I am like a rabbit in the headlights at that point and have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to do. There are no stored parameters for those kind of extremes, so mostly I will just remove myself from the situation as soon as I can .... which is inevitably seen as a total lack of empathy. The reality is I have no idea how to deal with those kind of situations, so better to leave than make it worse (and prolong my discomfort). 

Anyone else relate? I'd be fascinated to know.....

• I do get what you mean, in as much as on the rare occasion when I actually feel happy, it's not just normal happy, I feel hyper! But it only lasts for a few days then I feel nothing again!

Sometimes I want to feel more and sometimes I'm happy not feeling. I've been aware for a few years that when ever bad things happen, it makes my heart feel a little tighter, but I ignore it and just get on with life. I'm a little scared of what I might find if I start digging around in there. Perhaps it's safer not to feel?

• I like your 2 emotion names of fizzy and still :-) Thinking about it, my brain feels 'fizzy' when I've got far too much going on, my thoughts get disjointed and it becomes difficult to 'think in a straight line'! 

I love emojis! I use them a lot! Which is odd as in reality I don't pull too many expressions!

• Hi

interesting question, and so far it's a no, but maybe because I haven't been diagnosed so long. With emotions, I don't know what I am missing and I'm just used to being myself. I hope I never find out what I am missing, as I'm sure I would end up hugely depressed. 

If I am frustrated or anxious and not at work I clean like mad, lol.   If I feel just "meh" like I do most days I go for a walk or bike ride. I suppose I experience happiness when i feel creative, like music, drawing or baking.

You make a great point about the tedium. I experience that in the evenings when (out of exhaustion) I don't plan anything , then find like you say it's painfully tedious. 

Sometimes I get short of breath or have to say "AAARGH" out loud because I get a build up of physical self loathing and fizziness that I can't contain in my body.

• When 'numb' or 'still' as you put it, do you find yourself wishing you could just feel a bit more? 

I do. 

Then when I do feel something It's often intense and I wish I was numb again. Sometimes even when it's a good feeling because it hypes me up too much and then I just feel 'manic' and can't shut my brain off. Sometimes it puts me off bothering to engage in my interests because I almost dread the aftermath of not being able to come down because it's an uncomfortable feeling. To go to your 'fizzy' description it's like I'm a can of coke that has been shaken up and then opened. 

This is why it's so confusing for me. To say I live my life feeling 'numb' seems to ignore the number of times I'm actually too overwhelmed by a feeling. But then in between those overwhelming feelings, I would say I am numb. 

So numb that everything around me sometimes becomes so tedious it's painful. I also have severe long-standing depression though so I dunno which is which. Sometimes I'm so disgusted by my own interests that I can't bear to look at anything related to it. I have to really force myself into engaging in my interest to get over my numbness or disgust over it, sometimes I remain disgusted by it or numb other times it gets me out of that and I realise I do still love my interests. 

When I feel more I want to be numb again because it's too much, and then when I'm numb I want to feel again! It drives me crazy!