Masking

Hi, my name is Bree.

I'm new here and I would love to ask you about your experiences with masking as an autistic person, especially women and girls.

I mask pretty much whenever I am with any people. This is something I've been noticing more and more ever since I got diagnosed

Parents
  • I totally relate with this feeling when you start realizing it and feel the drain it causes. I keep wondering, how did I go through life before doing this all the time?

I am not yet sure how differently people use the terms, masking and camouflaging, but I relate more with the later, meaning that I found great excuses for doing what I was doing differently. It works great with us women. 

Since I found out more about autism and realized I'm autistic things have been different. I feel a steady change almost daily, and I feel very torn. I catch myself doing it and then I catch myself not stopping it and getting mad at myself or changing my behavior and feel weird about it. Do others feel similarly?

• Really sorry people. I did not realise that this was a female discussion.

Apologies again

• Take5,

I don't see that it's purely a women discussion just because it's under women and girls....  It's good to know everyones perspective on masking I think.  I think this "women and girls" was created to encourage more women related themes but all genders can experience similar things so why not discuss it? 

• Take5,

I don't see that it's purely a women discussion just because it's under women and girls....  It's good to know everyones perspective on masking I think.  I think this "women and girls" was created to encourage more women related themes but all genders can experience similar things so why not discuss it? 

Children
No Data