Medication

Does anybody have any positive thoughts on medication, my daughter suffers from constant low mood and anxiety and I have tried so many things but I’m considering going to the doctor for more help!!!

• my daughter is the same and it is all the worse right now as she gets ready for her GCSE exams.

My view is that drugs are not the answer.

My belief is that constantly trying to improve the environment in a state of faith that at some point we will get on an upward spiral toward success.

• That all sounds perfect. I'm so glad she is getting the help and support required, hopefully all of this together will help her through these difficult times. I found therapy really useful at that age. 

Sending positive vibes.

• Thank you 

we are booked in for 12 weeks of therapy also, and have a Camhs meeting next week where I will bring up medication 

• Thank you for your advice 

there is a struggle with the diet as she only eats cheese and pasta 

and pot noodle with the bits taken out haha

I am taking her for bloods today to see if she is deficient in anything and starting with some vitamins 

• I'm sorry your daughter is struggling at the moment. Teens are hard for autistic people, I remember my own teens were really difficult for me as there was so much change and a lot to process and think about. 

I would approach your GP and ask for their advice. If your daughter is feeling like this it's important she gets help sooner rather than later. 

When I was that age my mum took me to see the GP and I was put on antidepressants and referred for therapy. Both helped me through difficult times, especially the therapy.

Please let us know how you get on. I hope things improve for you both.

• There are antidepressant types of medications out there, but autistic individuals can also suffer from digestive issues and food sensitivities, and I know that my low mood was improved a lot by a dietary change. I hope you find the right resources that help your daughter out.  

• she’s just turned 16

the low moods have been for the last few years we have tried councillors camhs etc

Sounds like a fairly typical autistic teenager unfortunately - the change of pressure as you get towards major exams, adult relationships, careers on the horizon and all the other pressures that go with it are often a lot to deal with.

Reclusiveness is a common theme and it is not typically something easy to deal with. Therapy is probably the most effective way but requires a therapist who can connect with her and she respects and who has a solid understanding of autism.

From a parents perspective I suspect all you can do is be supportive and gently encouraging, helping where you can (and where you are welcome) and remember that this isn't just autism related - it is the plauge called the teenage years and affects many.

Finally in relation to the mediation question - make sure you discuss this with a doctor well versed in autism and make sure your daughter is in agreement otherwise you will be seen as an evil parent trying to drug her into submission.

Work with professionals and your daughter to find the right balance - no point trusting random people on an internet forum ;)

• apologies I think the quicker I can get something on the quicker I will get the answer I’m looking for!!

she’s just turned 16

the low moods have been for the last few years we have tried councillors camhs etc 

she doesn’t want to be here anymore 

I find if she has a good routine she’s not as bad but teenagers won’t listen and the pressure of GCSEs are getting on top of her 

• Is you daughter autistic?

What age approx? Recommendations for a 5 year old are quite different from a 16 year old for example.

When did the low moods start? Does anything help - routines, special interests etc?

Sorry for the questions but there isn't much info to work with here.

Medication is typically the last resort unless there is a medical condition requiring it so it is worth knowing what else has been tried before now.