Medication

Does anybody have any positive thoughts on medication, my daughter suffers from constant low mood and anxiety and I have tried so many things but I’m considering going to the doctor for more help!!!

Parents
  • Is you daughter autistic?

What age approx? Recommendations for a 5 year old are quite different from a 16 year old for example.

When did the low moods start? Does anything help - routines, special interests etc?

Sorry for the questions but there isn't much info to work with here.

Medication is typically the last resort unless there is a medical condition requiring it so it is worth knowing what else has been tried before now.

• apologies I think the quicker I can get something on the quicker I will get the answer I’m looking for!!

she’s just turned 16

the low moods have been for the last few years we have tried councillors camhs etc 

she doesn’t want to be here anymore 

I find if she has a good routine she’s not as bad but teenagers won’t listen and the pressure of GCSEs are getting on top of her 

• apologies I think the quicker I can get something on the quicker I will get the answer I’m looking for!!

she’s just turned 16

the low moods have been for the last few years we have tried councillors camhs etc 

she doesn’t want to be here anymore 

I find if she has a good routine she’s not as bad but teenagers won’t listen and the pressure of GCSEs are getting on top of her 

Children
  • she’s just turned 16

Sounds like a fairly typical autistic teenager unfortunately - the change of pressure as you get towards major exams, adult relationships, careers on the horizon and all the other pressures that go with it are often a lot to deal with.

Reclusiveness is a common theme and it is not typically something easy to deal with. Therapy is probably the most effective way but requires a therapist who can connect with her and she respects and who has a solid understanding of autism.

From a parents perspective I suspect all you can do is be supportive and gently encouraging, helping where you can (and where you are welcome) and remember that this isn't just autism related - it is the plauge called the teenage years and affects many.

Finally in relation to the mediation question - make sure you discuss this with a doctor well versed in autism and make sure your daughter is in agreement otherwise you will be seen as an evil parent trying to drug her into submission.

Work with professionals and your daughter to find the right balance - no point trusting random people on an internet forum ;)