Women's experience of autism

This is quite a broad subject and there is a lot of information available on this nowadays in the form of books and video.

However, I'm unable to access these due to an inability to read factual matter nowadays (I've tried 2 books on autism and gave up on both) and I simply can't process the spoken word properly.

So part of the reason for this thread is to learn from others.

It's not exclusively for women to post here.

It was sparked by comments on another thread about beauty and people's perception of how a 'beautiful' woman should behave.

I've had a disagreement with another member here before who felt that an autistic woman who was attractive could just dress a certain way and the men would follow.

However, my personal experiences of this is very different.

I don't want to make this introduction too wordy but I'm hoping that others here will want to contribute.

Women present differently to men and I read on this forum quite a lot of comments (based on incorrect assumptions) that appertain to men, not women.

'The different way in which girls and women present under the following headings have been identified below; social understanding, social communication, social imagination which is highly associated with routines, rituals and special interests. Some examples are:

• Girls are more able to follow social actions by delayed imitation because they observe other children and copy them, perhaps masking the symptoms of Asperger syndrome (Attwood, 2007).
  • Girls are often more aware of and feel a need to interact socially. They are involved in social play, but are often led by their peers rather than initiating social contact. Girls are more socially inclined and many have one special friend.
  • In our society, girls are expected to be social in their communication. Girls on the spectrum do not ‘do social chit chat’ or make ‘meaningless’ comments in order to facilitate social communication. The idea of a social hierarchy and how one communicates with people of different status can be problematic and get girls into trouble with teachers.
  • Evidence suggests that girls have better imagination and more pretend play (Knickmeyer et al, 2008). Many have a very rich and elaborate fantasy world with imaginary friends. Girls escape into fiction, and some live in another world with, for example, fairies and witches.
  • The interests of girls in the spectrum are very often similar to those of other girls – animals, horses, classical literature – and therefore are not seen as unusual. It is not the special interests that differentiate them from their peers but it is the quality and intensity of these interests. Many obsessively watch soap operas and have an intense interest in celebrities.

The presence of repetitive behaviour and special interests is part of the diagnostic criteria for an autism spectrum disorder. This is a crucial area in which the male stereotype of autism has clouded the issue in diagnosing girls and women.'

https://autismhampshire.org.uk/about-autism/women-and-girls-on-the-autism-spectrum

Parents
  • Anyone with thoughts on having children.

I reckon that it's probably less likely (possibly a lot less) that autistic women do.

I didn't and now, retrospectively, and especially with my awareness of my autism, I could give a fairly good anaylsis of why.

• I have two children, long before diagnosis or before women where recognised as being able to have autism. Looking back on it now, I realise how overwhelmed I was not helped by having serious undiagnosed post natal depression and an abusive and controlling partner who I was never good enough for.

But I wonder if its harder for autistic women to ask for help and recieve it? As a woman of child bearing age, we have our bodies messed up with hormones from contraceptives, we're more likely to be anaemic and have low levels of vitamin B12, both of which will make you feel tired, increase brain fog and general ability to cope. Our own hormones can mess us up too, causing huge mood swings, not having had to worry about anything like that for a good few years now, I can only say that it's a massive relief. I understand that contraceptive services and options have got worse since I was a young woman and getting to actually speak to someone about how you feel and what your options are is really difficult. Just because you're of child bearing age, dosen't mean that anything going on with you health wise is gynaecological and I suspect many are afraid of the runaway train that can be mental health services.

• Yes, to everything you just said!

Very well put.

I have two children, long before diagnosis or before women where recognised as being able to have autism. Looking back on it now, I realise how overwhelmed I was not helped by having serious undiagnosed post natal depression and an abusive and controlling partner who I was never good enough for.

That sounds very tough indeed.

• Yes, to everything you just said!

Very well put.

I have two children, long before diagnosis or before women where recognised as being able to have autism. Looking back on it now, I realise how overwhelmed I was not helped by having serious undiagnosed post natal depression and an abusive and controlling partner who I was never good enough for.

That sounds very tough indeed.

Children
No Data