Looking to make some friends

hello I’m Chloe and I’m 22 years old I’m here again to try to make some new friends hopefully to meet up as well on day 

my hobbies are drawing,baking,cooking,video games,taking photos, watching YouTube and watching Korean dramas and Chinese dramas i also like to listen to kpop Korean pop music. I have a cat names willow and I’m trying to move out of my family home to be more independent.

Parents
  • Hi Chloe!

I'm in my late 20s and pretty early on in my journey. I don't have any connections with other neurodivergent people so it would be nice to get to know some new people. 

My hobbies include digital art, board games, video games, Japanese, reading, and watching YouTube. I've watched some Korean Dramas that I've really enjoyed (Sweet Home, All of Us Are Dead). I like cooking but destroy pretty much anything I try to bake with the exception of brownies and New York cheesecake! 

Take care,

Pip Slight smile

• Hi. If you don't mind me asking, have you been to Japan? I spent a bit of time working out there many moons ago. Very different culture (and cuisine!).  Sadly I didn't learn much of the language and most of what i learned I have forgotten. sumimasen, nihongo warkarimasen!  :-)  .... although I do have a japanese dictionary on the shelf behind me!

• Hi. If you don't mind me asking, have you been to Japan? I spent a bit of time working out there many moons ago. Very different culture (and cuisine!).  Sadly I didn't learn much of the language and most of what i learned I have forgotten. sumimasen, nihongo warkarimasen!  :-)  .... although I do have a japanese dictionary on the shelf behind me!

Children
  • Hi Blossom. If you dont mind me asking, how did the date go? well i hope!
    it's no problem if you would rather not say.

• It's honestly so awkward when starting new jobs - I loved it when hybrid working became a thing. My whole team work at home about 90% of the time so I learned their names through video conferencing software as it would display their names under their little camera! 

I have heard it's really hot in the summer. I'm tempted to visit Hokkaido instead of the main island if I do end up going around summer time at any point. The nature and scenery is meant to be beautiful up there too and not as hot. 

I do LOVE the rain though. If I'm not working and instead hanging out getting caught in a crazy rain seems kind of fun. 

Maybe this is me, but I think it would be slightly easier for me to make friends with Japanese people (or other non-UK people in a different country). I think it would be nice for any oddness to be chalked up to me being a foreigner instead of me just being odd would reduce some of the pressure in my own head which would be nice. 

Yeah, I've heard the work hours are crazy and inefficient. 70 hours is insane! I currently work a full-time role at 36 hours a week and honestly, I can't imagine working much longer than that. I did a short period once in a different role where we were under staffed and I did longer hours (but still not quite at the 70 mark) and I very quickly burned out. Work-life balance is so important. I think that's one of the things that is putting me off being interested in more than tourism at the moment. 

It is such an interesting country and I am really fascinated to see how the culture develops and changes over the next few decades with more western influence - e.g. will their working culture become more healthy?!

• I feel your pain with remembering names ... I just call all the guys dude and try to speak to the women without using their names!

In Japan I was working at an automotive manufacturer on behalf of a European supplier. Many things were very different and it is very hot and humid during the summer.  I had one colleague from France come to visit during the summer I was their. While we were waiting for the company bus in the morning, he seemed to actually be shrinking with the heat! ;-)

When it rains, even if you have an umbrella (which you carry ALL the time as it rains often and hard), you will get wet up to your waist with the large raindrops bouncing off the ground.  Their average 'rain' is like the hardest rain you have ever seen in the UK!

If you are working in a very foreign country like that it is oddly easier to socialize than it is in the UK. You will have only a small group of westerners with whom you will do most of your socializing.  

If you want to work out there ... they wok many hours, but not efficiently.  At one point the UK guys decided we had to limit ourselves to only working 70 hours a week.   They work so many hours that they make many mistakes and have to do more hours to fix those mistakes!

But it is definitely great to see how others live.

• Interesting! Did you work for a Japanese company? I've heard there are large differences in work culture compared to here. 

That sounds like a great idea, thank you! 

That does sound rewarding and very interesting for self reflection and value development. I've been doing a training programme at work and part of it was uncovering your core values which was really interesting. I like finding out about the Japanese culture through the language. For example, they tend to use people's names and saying "you" can be perceived as rude which is so opposite to our culture here. Though I do think having more focus on people's names would help me to remember them. I feel like sometimes here you learn someone's name for the first time and then never actually get told it again and it's super awkward when you can't remember it down the line. 

• yes he's a a lovely guy. he didn't tell me much about the country but I do know that it a lovely one from the videos I used to watch.

• Good to hear. I hope he is a decent chap.

I mention the rules as they are a VERY rigid society. Social conformity is beaten in to the children from a young age. 

When i first went there, there was a big sign across the arrivals hall at tokyo narita airport saying, "follow the rules"! ... they really dont want the gaigin causing trouble!  :-) ... but as long as you are respuctful and, as i say, follow the rules, it is great.

• the date went really well I've got another date tomorrow ofc rules in another country is important 

• I hope the date went well.

The people are nice ... just be sure to follow the rules!  :-)  

• the the guy i went on a date with on Sunday said he been and loved it there said the people are so nice  

• Japan is very different, but i guess your choice of username hints that you have good awareness of some of it.

If you do go, and are going for some time, i strongly suggest learning katakana. I created a set of flash cards with the katakana symbol on one side and the english pronunciation on the other ... very helpful.

As all foreign words are spelled out in katakana, all menu items for western food are written in katakana. This makes ordering much easier on the days when you dont feel like being adventurous and just want a pizza funghi (or whatever).

I hope you get to go some time and have someone to share the experience with.

• nope I've never been to Japan I want to go to Korea though i did have loads of learning books of Japanese and Korea 

• Hi. I was working at a car manufacturer. Kanagawa prefecture.

If you do go out there, try to arrange for a local to show you around. You will see much more of the real Japan.

One of the rich rewards is that, as you learn about their culture, it highlights what you like (or dislike) about your own culture .. it helps you identify the things that are important to you.

• Hi Touay, not yet!

It's super expensive and I only got my passport last year but I really want to go. I follow a few YouTubers who are living out there including Abroad in Japan (a British guy) and it seems so interesting. The differences in culture fascinate me and there seems to be some absolutely stunning areas of beauty. The North seems really interesting for natural beauty and less tourist areas (Sendai, Yamagata etc).

The language is so different from English that I can't imagine it's easy to pick up even in the midst of it! 

What kind of work did you do out there if you don't mind me asking?