Chances of getting a autism assessment, as an adult?

Hello,

I have heard about the lengthy waiting times for autism as trying to get my daughter assessed is proving difficult. After reading about autism and its traits. I feel I exhibit traits but not sure if I have a case to be assessed for autism. I am female and have struggled my whole life with social interaction, watching what I say, over analysing conversations to the point where I will re-enact the conversation. Certain noises I cannot stand, unfamiliar noises, I must find the sound and to make it go away. Do not like people entering my personal space. I don't know, I guess I am trying to search for an answer of sorts.

As mentioned, my daughter will be assessed, once the outcome has been established, then maybe start looking at myself. Any advice is welcome.

Many Thanks 

• could be the case if the kid has a diagnosis it increases their chance too... although usually dont they say it comes from the father? so theyd be suspecting the father is autistic in that case?

anyway, there has been a few people on here who said they got a negative result on their assessment due to things such as their functioning or having relations. so it has apparently happened that way. i guess it depends on the individual assessor.

• Can I provide you with the information I proposed in a previous post, about utilising the Government's Right To Choose scheme in order to jump the NHS que.  This is the system I used following some excellent advice from the Hull based ASD Charity - Matthews Hub

There is an alternative route that you could go down for assessment, which is through NHS Right To Choose. When waiting times are long, you have the right to choose an alternative provider, as long as they have a contract with your Care Partnership.

Below are links on how to access an assessment through MIND Professionals through Right to Choose.

If you read the information, fill in the attached template letter and questionnaire and take it all to your GP, he can refer you through Right to Choose directly to MIND Professionals. At the moment their waiting times are not very long, you would need to call them to confirm but I think around 2-3 months

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WQzF7WlaNK1rhZf49rqv4vVD0383h5pO/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106866502195916410189&rtpof=true&sd=true

This is the route I took aged 45 to get my assessment, should there be some problem with me sharing these documents on this site, please let me know and I'll take them down.  The original files were presented to me from the Matthews Hub in Hull

Support service for autistic people, 13 and over | Autism Support Service | Matthews Hub

• I'd always kind of known , I'd battled with many things for years and tried every explanation possible. Later in life it was confirmed even more when people I knew had children that got diagnosed and I realised I thought the same way they did. Eventually burnout and other issues lead me to getting diagnosis, age 49, which took about 4 months overall by going private. I'd heard NHS would be years potentially. 

It's been worth it, I can find a way forward that is better for me now I know for sure what I'm dealing with and have been far less hard on myself since. 

• I'm currently on the waiting list here in Cornwall have been for about 14 months. At the time I was referred by my GP it was a two year waiting list for adults, now I think it's over 4. If you present to your doctor with your reasonings why along with any online tests you've taken etc, listing the things you've listed here I suspect they'll make a referral to adult autism assessment. You may then have an initial screening, with things like questionnaires, asking family or your partner. After that they will decide whether to place you on the waiting list for an assessment. 

I think it's worth doing, get on the waiting list and explore autism more in the meantime. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

• I don't think you having a relationship and a family should affect your ability to get an assessment, that's very stereotypical. I am married and managed to get an assessment, it wasn't seen as a barrier to my diagnosis at all. If you have a child with a formal diagnosis, if anything, this should increase your chances of getting a diagnosis because they will ask if anyone in your family is neurodiverse. I would suggest asking your GP for a referral now to get on the waiting list. Try to do one of the online questionnaires and take it with you along with a list of reasons why you would like an assessment. If the GP refuses (which they shouldn't without good reason), ask for a second opinion with a different GP. Good luck!

• Hi, the waiting time is a postcode lottery, in my area it is two and a half years. If you live in England you can ask for “Right to Choose” a private provider is used and the NHS funds it. The wait is apparently only months. The GP is the first contact, some are really open to autism, some are stuck in the dark ages. Make a list of all the reasons you think you might be autistic and do some online tests, RADDS- R test is quite an accurate one.  
    embrace-autism.com/.../

• From initial presentation to the doctor, to diagnosed within three months.

1. I did a self test forst to find out for mysef. 

2. once I knew, after considering whether I wanted one, I presenetd myself to my doctor (who said I couldn't pssibly be Autistic, (so I asked hm why I scored 38 on my online test, and why has my life been so bloody difficult so far?) So he grudgingly administered the NHS test. (At wich I scored the same as on my online test) 

3. He said he would "refer me". I asked what teh process involved, he told me they would send a letter to a psychiatrist.

4. I gave the surgery a week to do it, then followed it up with a phone call to "progress chase" it  

5. After a couple fo calls I was not happy at the speed it was taking to write & post a single letter so I escalated the matter to my local health Authority, making the point that since I was in my sixties this was a big deal for me, putting my life effectvely "on hold" until I knew and asking why the process was so drawn out... From this point onwards the process became a LOT more efficient and streamlined.

>>. There is a saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" I suggest people with Autism who need a diagnosis in a useful period of time simply "squeak" a bit more like I did.

All you have to do is ASK QUESTIONS, such as "where as we in the process today" but do it POLITELY and with due consideration of the person you are talking to.    

www.aspergerstestsite for the online diagnosis. 

• Thank you for your reply. Oh really, the more I think about it, the more it appears to be out of reach. I may very well not be, but I would have welcomed an assessment. I understand why so many people go under the radar. 

• the chances are you will get assessed but after a 8 year wait lol
    but the chances are because you have a kid and likely had a partner and relationship and likely have a home and a life they will use that against you in the assessment.