Plane travel - what do you do?

Hi All

Looking for some advice from you if i can. My 15 year old girl recently met her boyfriend for the first time last week, he lives in America. He is her bestfriend and honestly only friend as she struggles to understand and maintain friendships so this out of the blue relationship has been a god send for support. He travelled with his mum to stay with us for a week and returned back to Nevada last week. It was a successful but stressful trip for us mum's. 

The plan is for us to visit them next at Christmas time. My worry is that she will not cope with the noise, smells and space in Economy for the first flight of about 9 hours. Its 2 flights each way. But anything above Economy is very expensive. Do you guys have any recommendations of airlines that are ASD friendly or any tips that could make the experience less stressful for both of us?

Thank you in advance Slight smile

• Considering your upcoming trip to Nevada, have you thought about adding a layover? It could be a great way to break up the long journey and enjoy a relaxing stay in a beautiful destination. For instance, you can land in Costa Rica and rest at the Los Altos Resort, which is known for its luxury and relaxation, making it an ideal choice for a brief stay. Costa Rica is also known for its natural beauty and outdoor activities, so you could explore a bit during your layover if time allows. You can check Losaltosresort.com for more details on their accommodations and amenities. It could be a wonderful addition to your trip! Safe travels!

• National Express Eurolines and Megabus stopped these overnight coach services from Manchester to Dublin via Holyhead and now there is only one from London via Birmingham (connection from Manchester) with the fares massively going up after Covid - I’ve been using overnight coaches and SailRail on daytime and overnight sailings in summer and winter for 22 years and my firm favourite is the Irish Ferries Ulysses - the beauty of coaches is that the coach drives straight off the ferry with your luggage direct to Busaras - I’m very familiar with North Wales and the A55 and Bangor is a beautiful part of North Wales, even late at night 

• I don’t like the sound of it either - it’s definitely creepy and online dating totally creeps me out anyway - back in the day, I used to use the Gaydar website as a gay man and that was bad enough, but I’d never touch Grindr or any other gay “dating” apps with a bargepole, even before the Stephen Port Grindr gay murders in London some years ago 

• I would definitely pre book special assistance at the airport so that you are prioritised through security and onto the plane. Will she wear ear defenders? If so they would probably help reduce the noise. I take an ipad for my son and I've downloaded all his favourite movies/shows/games etc beforehand as there won't be any wi fi on the plane. I also take a bag full of his favourite snacks. It may also be worth asking her Doctor if theres medication she could take to reduce her anxiety during the flight? Good luck.

• Of course it's the evil EU's fault and not that the Brexit camp lied to you. It's like if your road declared independence from the UK and then you act outraged that going to the shops is now more expensive and inconvenient. 

• Also, this story sounds creepy. A fifteen-year-old girl flying to the US to 'Meet her boyfriend'.

Smelling a rat, here.

• Along with the 4th Industrial Revolution as spouted by Klaus Schwab, Gates and co, based on the lies of climate change, which if it exists, is caused by chemtrails and cloud seeding 

• The EUSSR want to make our departure, from them, as punitive as possible.

It's all to prepare for the 'Second American Revolution' aka the emergence of Antichrist.

• I booked a coach trip, ten years ago, from Busaras to Bangor. (Wales)

The Irish Ferries Ulysses was the ferry used; both ends.

• Given the situation at airports these days, you could consider getting the Queen Mary from Southampton to New York and going by train to Nevada - we know that because of climate change, aside from airport security since 9/11, they don’t want people using air travel, which is why they go to great lengths to make air travel as unpleasant an experience as possible, even for short flights - already, the Irish government is preparing to implement an EU directive to ban all short haul flights between Ireland and the U.K., both post Brexit and post Covid and also between Ireland and mainland Europe 

• Considering your upcoming trip to Nevada, have you thought about adding a layover? It could be a great way to break up the long journey and enjoy a relaxing stay in a beautiful destination.

• Thank you - she doesn't go anywhere without her headphones and special soft toy. She does have a sunflower lanyard and card. Thank you :) The food tip is 100% something i would forget about for her

• The flight is less stressful for me than the airport.

What I always do is make sure my time in the airport is as linear an experience as possible, and that I am never called upon to do anything in a hurry or to multitask. The main thing is to arrive early.

• I would suggest getting a sunflower lanyard, as they are recognised at the UK airports. 

I hate flying but my boyfriend loves it, it's just a way of me getting places I want to visit! Sort out so all documents are together at the airport. Make sure anything that will need to be taken out is easily accessible. 

On a flight airpods are everything. If she has an ipad or something make sure it's filled with comfort movies, downloaded spotify playlists etc. Also have a comfort item such as a teddy bear, blanket etc. It helps 

After you get passed security you can buy food in the airport and take it on the plane, so miight be worth grabbing some safe snacks and drinks in case she doesn't like the food on the plane!

Hope this helps and you both have a nice time! 

• Living in Manchester 22 years and having family in Ireland myself, I stopped flying in 2010 because I can’t stand the hassle of airport security, which aside from Manchester, is even worse at Dublin - for me, aside from the overnight coaches (now totally withdrawn since Covid) SailRail via Holyhead poses its own problems from Manchester Piccadilly Platform 14 (a very long trek from the Metrolink platforms if coming from Shudehill and Market St) getting tickets and information, as Manchester Piccadilly is eternally busy and can be a nightmare if changing trains at Chester (at opposite ends of the station with very little time to change trains, especially on TfW) - I try to use Northern Rail from Manchester Victoria where possible, as they have larger trains than TfW and is easier to get to from Shudehill and at Chester, I try to get the larger Avanti Trains to Holyhead, always aiming for first class carraiges where possible, as most people get off at Bangor - on occasions, I have been lucky when changing trains at Lladnuo and catching the loco-hauled TfW from Cardiff to Holyhead - I prefer the Irish Ferries Ulysses or WB Yeates ferries rather than the Stena Adventurer to Dublin and I always pay the bit extra for the Club Class Lounge, which I have done on both daytime and overnight, summer and winter and I’m OK with rough crossings on the Irish Sea - at Dublin Port North Wall, it is a hassle to get into Dublin City Centre and on the return trip, getting to the Irish Ferries terminal from the City is a hassle because of no taxis 

• Thank you so much for the tips 

• Some things I did to prepare myself:

-research your airline. Read up on the handbook, the rules, the seating regulations, etc…

-read up on airline vocab. Things like what what means on a boarding pass, what certain announcements mean.

-go to Google maps and look up the airports you will be at, take a tour so you know where you’re going ahead of time.

-read up on airplanes! I also use this method for horror movies and stuff—if I look up the actors, watch interviews, watch the behind the scenes, then the movie isn’t scary anymore! I really liked reading up on how air moves around and on airplanes and what turbulence was.

Take a few comfort items, so for me that was my special bear, a photo of my sister who had died and headphones so I could listen to music on the flight. 

I actually had a good time on the planes and I hope your daughter will as well. It can be a nervous experience the first time but I'm sure she'll be all right.