Plane travel - what do you do?

Hi All

Looking for some advice from you if i can. My 15 year old girl recently met her boyfriend for the first time last week, he lives in America. He is her bestfriend and honestly only friend as she struggles to understand and maintain friendships so this out of the blue relationship has been a god send for support. He travelled with his mum to stay with us for a week and returned back to Nevada last week. It was a successful but stressful trip for us mum's. 

The plan is for us to visit them next at Christmas time. My worry is that she will not cope with the noise, smells and space in Economy for the first flight of about 9 hours. Its 2 flights each way. But anything above Economy is very expensive. Do you guys have any recommendations of airlines that are ASD friendly or any tips that could make the experience less stressful for both of us?

Thank you in advance Slight smile

Parents
  • I would suggest getting a sunflower lanyard, as they are recognised at the UK airports. 

I hate flying but my boyfriend loves it, it's just a way of me getting places I want to visit! Sort out so all documents are together at the airport. Make sure anything that will need to be taken out is easily accessible. 

On a flight airpods are everything. If she has an ipad or something make sure it's filled with comfort movies, downloaded spotify playlists etc. Also have a comfort item such as a teddy bear, blanket etc. It helps 

After you get passed security you can buy food in the airport and take it on the plane, so miight be worth grabbing some safe snacks and drinks in case she doesn't like the food on the plane!

Hope this helps and you both have a nice time! 

• I would suggest getting a sunflower lanyard, as they are recognised at the UK airports. 

I hate flying but my boyfriend loves it, it's just a way of me getting places I want to visit! Sort out so all documents are together at the airport. Make sure anything that will need to be taken out is easily accessible. 

On a flight airpods are everything. If she has an ipad or something make sure it's filled with comfort movies, downloaded spotify playlists etc. Also have a comfort item such as a teddy bear, blanket etc. It helps 

After you get passed security you can buy food in the airport and take it on the plane, so miight be worth grabbing some safe snacks and drinks in case she doesn't like the food on the plane!

Hope this helps and you both have a nice time! 

Children
  • Thank you - she doesn't go anywhere without her headphones and special soft toy. She does have a sunflower lanyard and card. Thank you :) The food tip is 100% something i would forget about for her