Plane travel - what do you do?

Hi All

Looking for some advice from you if i can. My 15 year old girl recently met her boyfriend for the first time last week, he lives in America. He is her bestfriend and honestly only friend as she struggles to understand and maintain friendships so this out of the blue relationship has been a god send for support. He travelled with his mum to stay with us for a week and returned back to Nevada last week. It was a successful but stressful trip for us mum's. 

The plan is for us to visit them next at Christmas time. My worry is that she will not cope with the noise, smells and space in Economy for the first flight of about 9 hours. Its 2 flights each way. But anything above Economy is very expensive. Do you guys have any recommendations of airlines that are ASD friendly or any tips that could make the experience less stressful for both of us?

Thank you in advance Slight smile

Parents
  • Some things I did to prepare myself:

-research your airline. Read up on the handbook, the rules, the seating regulations, etc…

-read up on airline vocab. Things like what what means on a boarding pass, what certain announcements mean.

-go to Google maps and look up the airports you will be at, take a tour so you know where you’re going ahead of time.

-read up on airplanes! I also use this method for horror movies and stuff—if I look up the actors, watch interviews, watch the behind the scenes, then the movie isn’t scary anymore! I really liked reading up on how air moves around and on airplanes and what turbulence was.

Take a few comfort items, so for me that was my special bear, a photo of my sister who had died and headphones so I could listen to music on the flight. 

I actually had a good time on the planes and I hope your daughter will as well. It can be a nervous experience the first time but I'm sure she'll be all right.

• Some things I did to prepare myself:

-research your airline. Read up on the handbook, the rules, the seating regulations, etc…

-read up on airline vocab. Things like what what means on a boarding pass, what certain announcements mean.

-go to Google maps and look up the airports you will be at, take a tour so you know where you’re going ahead of time.

-read up on airplanes! I also use this method for horror movies and stuff—if I look up the actors, watch interviews, watch the behind the scenes, then the movie isn’t scary anymore! I really liked reading up on how air moves around and on airplanes and what turbulence was.

Take a few comfort items, so for me that was my special bear, a photo of my sister who had died and headphones so I could listen to music on the flight. 

I actually had a good time on the planes and I hope your daughter will as well. It can be a nervous experience the first time but I'm sure she'll be all right.

Children