Famous People with Asperger Syndrome or Similar Autistic Traits

With many of these people, the condition is highly speculative rather than actually diagnosed.  Some of the symptoms suggested, too, could indicate other conditions - particularly with people like Woody Allen.

Still... I find it reassuring in many ways to maybe share something in common with people who've made such an impact in their own particular ways...

www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/people.htm

• Mlle Lermontova said:

I think the Russian poet/novelist and artist Mikhail Lermontov was, from all I've read about him, and he depicts Pechorin as a very Aspie character (strongly autobiographical) in A Hero of our Time. The phenomenon of the "Superfluous Person", as Pechorin has sometimes been regarded, has been seen as socio-political, but I think it's more to do with his brain-wiring.

I've not read that, but it sounds interesting. 

So many examples spring to mind now I think about it.  Colin Wilson had many of the characteristics.  I suppose his book The Outsider gives the game away!  He looks at the theme of psychological dislocation and alienation in the works of artists like Kafka (another contender, surely), Hemingway, Van Gogh, Joyce and Dostoevsky.  It seems a very common trait in Western creative thinking.

Knut Hamsun's Hunger also comes to mind - a bleak account of a young starving writer.  It was one of the models I used for my own work.  I find it a very difficult book to read, but I like Hamsun's single-minded purpose with it: his rejection of the usual social preoccupations of fiction, and the concentration instead on 'the unconscious life of the mind.'  It's acutely observant, and full of insight about human nature and behaviour.

Perhaps Aspies have a predisposition in this respect.  They stand to one side and observe.  A bit of a generalisation, I know.... but I'm sure there's something in it.

PS The description of the 'superfluous man' here is quite telling...

en.wikipedia.org/.../Superfluous_man

The conclusion that the superfluous man is 'a homeless man' seems quite apt to me.  In a psychological and social sense, I've often felt 'homeless'.  National identity, local pride, a sense of belonging... none of those things have ever meant anything to me.  I've only ever felt 'at home' with fellow outsiders or nonconformists (or freaks and oddballs as we were called at school).

• I think the Russian poet/novelist and artist Mikhail Lermontov was, from all I've read about him, and he depicts Pechorin as a very Aspie character (strongly autobiographical) in A Hero of our Time. The phenomenon of the "Superfluous Person", as Pechorin has sometimes been regarded, has been seen as socio-political, but I think it's more to do with his brain-wiring.

• Thinking about it, I do wonder if Charlie Chaplin was an Aspie.

He immersed himself in his work, had a great eye for detail and was a perfectionist, was supposed to be quite 'shy' and had an eccentricity that he used to create comedic genius.

Apparently, Aspies are attracted to acting because everything has to be scripted and predictable.

• Trainspotter said:

"What about Stanley Kubrick?  A near recluse, and a perfectionist who took take after take.  Everything he did he liked to be totally in his control and by all accounts he was very difficult to get on with. 

And for the fictional character - none other than Bruce Banner (or David Banner from the TV series) who when he is having a meltdown turns into The Incredible Hulk.  Bruce/David Banner was an outstanding scientist but when an experiment went wrong he released his inner demons.  What more could someone ask for!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, well there you go....it makes you realize that the world would be a poorer place without Aspies in it!

Imagine a world devoid of Aspies - just 'average', grey and boring people. 

• What about Stanley Kubrick?  A near recluse, and a perfectionist who took take after take.  Everything he did he liked to be totally in his control and by all accounts he was very difficult to get on with. 

And for the fictional character - none other than Bruce Banner (or David Banner from the TV series) who when he is having a meltdown turns into The Incredible Hulk.  Bruce/David Banner was an outstanding scientist but when an experiment went wrong he released his inner demons.  What more could someone ask for!

• Martian Tom said:

Possibly.  I know he was manic-depressive.  Peter Sellers was another complex person.  He certainly had some kind of issues.

I've had a bit of an afternoon myself.  Family get-together.  Turned into a bit of a heavy time.  My aunt's dog went missing for a couple of hours.  Then mum had another fall.  Finally, I had my dreaded sister-in-law to contend with.  I couldn't wait to escape!

I know I shouldn't laugh, vometia, but you have a way of puttings things that are comical - like something out of a Carry On film. 

Even your name is amusing.

Yep, they say Peter Sellers was a bit of an odd-ball and I think it had something to do with his lack of knowing who he was!

If that's not Aspie, I dunno what is.

Maybe genuis often entails a peculiar personality.

• Telstar said:

Interesting comment about Spike Milligan.  I have a biography about him that I picked up many years ago, and was just reading a short section last night, and thought exactly the same thing.  As it is, I've idolised Milligan's work since my childhood - the word genius is overused these days, but for him it's an apt description.

As Tom says, these lists are often speculative, compared to those like Daryl Hannah who have stated they are on the autistic spectrum.  For those who have passed on however, it's interesting to muse on who might have also been on the spectrum.

Thankfully, neurotypicals are now realising that "autistic" just means "different", and aspies and auties in the public eye can help the cause by talking about it. 

I know Spike's daughter mentioned in an interview that when the family moved near a main road Spike couldn't stand the noise so that they had to move again! Sensory issues?

Then there's the odd poetry!

You know I was quite shocked when I learned that Daryl Hannah was an Aspie because who would have thought a sex symbol like that was autistic? Just shows you that appearances are often misleading.

• Interesting comment about Spike Milligan.  I have a biography about him that I picked up many years ago, and was just reading a short section last night, and thought exactly the same thing.  As it is, I've idolised Milligan's work since my childhood - the word genius is overused these days, but for him it's an apt description.

As Tom says, these lists are often speculative, compared to those like Daryl Hannah who have stated they are on the autistic spectrum.  For those who have passed on however, it's interesting to muse on who might have also been on the spectrum.

Thankfully, neurotypicals are now realising that "autistic" just means "different", and aspies and auties in the public eye can help the cause by talking about it. 

• Off the top of my head, there's Gary Numan, who ISTR was diagnosed as an adult some time after he rose to fame.

Edit: Bill Gates?  I always got the impression he had a carefully manufactured image to give the impression he was a "computer whiz" but that it was a bit artificial.  I suppose I have quite strong feelings about people like him and that they give people like us a bad name.

• Two others missed off the list are Darryl Hannah (actress) and Chris Packham (TV presenter)

And today me and my partner were speculating about David Bowie. 

• Possibly.  I know he was manic-depressive.  Peter Sellers was another complex person.  He certainly had some kind of issues.

I've had a bit of an afternoon myself.  Family get-together.  Turned into a bit of a heavy time.  My aunt's dog went missing for a couple of hours.  Then mum had another fall.  Finally, I had my dreaded sister-in-law to contend with.  I couldn't wait to escape!

• Ok, I missed that Tom, I wasn't paying enough attention.

You have to forgive me because I've been wheeling me old mom around Uxbridge shopping centre today and it's flippin tiring, least that's my excuse.

I tell you who I would have thought was a cert for Aspie status: Spike Milligan.

If he wasn't an Aspie then he did a good impression of one.

• lostmyway said:

Yes, I think that list is pretty speculative Tom.

For example, I know Tony Attwood is an expert on autism but I don't think he's autistic. I've seen many of his lectures and interviews online and I've never been led to think he is on the spectrum. But, hey, what do I know?

Michael Palin? Really?

Come to think of he was in the 'Lumberjack Sketch!'

So, mabey.

I don't think it's saying Tony Attwood is.  There's a sub-heading above his name about 'People who are important in the field of Asperger's', or something like.

• Yes, I think that list is pretty speculative Tom.

For example, I know Tony Attwood is an expert on autism but I don't think he's autistic. I've seen many of his lectures and interviews online and I've never been led to think he is on the spectrum. But, hey, what do I know?

Michael Palin? Really?

Come to think of he was in the 'Lumberjack Sketch!'

So, mabey.