Famous People with Asperger Syndrome or Similar Autistic Traits

With many of these people, the condition is highly speculative rather than actually diagnosed.  Some of the symptoms suggested, too, could indicate other conditions - particularly with people like Woody Allen.

Still... I find it reassuring in many ways to maybe share something in common with people who've made such an impact in their own particular ways...

www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/people.htm

• Three people from the same period all strike me as definitely on the spectrum: Winston Churchill, Bernard Montgomery and George S. Patton.

• Now, surely Mark Oliver Everett (a.k.a. Mr E, or just simply 'E' of Eels) is an obvious candidate...

en.wikipedia.org/.../Mark_Oliver_Everett

www.youtube.com/watch

• Hope said:

What about Diogenes the Cynic? He completely cut himself off from society and was considered very odd. He was certainly eccentric although that's no guarantee of autism status. He was the archetypcal outsider in any case.

One of my favourite quotes of his is: "Dogs and philosophers do the greatest good and get the fewest rewards."

Another is: "Blushing is the colour of virtue".

• Hope said:

What about Diogenes the Cynic? He completely cut himself off from society and was considered very odd. He was certainly eccentric although that's no guarantee of autism status. He was the archetypcal outsider in any case.

One of my favourite quotes of his is: "Dogs and philosophers do the greatest good and get the fewest rewards."

• What about Diogenes the Cynic? He completely cut himself off from society and was considered very odd. He was certainly eccentric although that's no guarantee of autism status. He was the archetypcal outsider in any case.

• Mlle Lermontova said:

Why was Julian so opposed to Christianity?

In his day, it was sufficiently new enough for the 'joins' to be as obvious as with the likes of Mormonism and Scientology these days. He's very funny at taking it apart. There are huge problems with the Middle Eastern monotheisms, especially the proselytising sorts, because they are inherently inimical to freedom and diversity. He'd also seen how their text-fetishism led them to murderous intrafandom conflicts, such as Arians vs Athanasians. They accused him of persecuting them because he wouldn't let them persecute each other...

[/quote]

Sounds like he didn't do political correctness.

• lostmyway said:

In his day, it was sufficiently new enough for the 'joins' to be as obvious as with the likes of Mormonism and Scientology these days. He's very funny at taking it apart. There are huge problems with the Middle Eastern monotheisms, especially the proselytising sorts, because they are inherently inimical to freedom and diversity. He'd also seen how their text-fetishism led them to murderous intrafandom conflicts, such as Arians vs Athanasians. They accused him of persecuting them because he wouldn't let them persecute each other...

• Hope said:

I have recently read The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus (a collection of essays on the Absurd). Camus argues that the Actor is an exemplar of the Absurd existence because he/she plays many different roles in a lifetime, and thus pays homage to the ephemeral, fleeting nature of existence and its lack of stability/fixed meaning. I thought this was interesting as many autistic people describe themselves as 'acting' and lacking a fixed sense of self. I can certainly relate to this - I am always 'acting'. Perhaps a modern day Camus could add a chapter about Autism and the Absurd!!

Yes, it is interesting.  From a child, I always thought I'd like to be an actor - but I lacked the confidence.  I now have that confidence, in some measure, because I have been an 'actor' all of my life.  I adopt a role to suit particular circumstances - which everyone does, to some extent.  Nobody knows the real me, though.  I can never be me when I'm around anyone else.  A few years ago, I did a couple of stints of stand-up comedy.  I was a wreck before each performance, but once I was on stage and started my routine, something came out of me.  Someone spoke to me after the first performance and commented about how I seemed to be transformed on stage - all the anger and passion.  In many senses, it was a rant about the stuff that annoyed me about life and people.  And finally, I was in the spotlight saying it, and everyone else was paying attention.  It was a very powerful feeling.  It gave me a strong sense of validation.  It wasn't an act.  It was me.  And everyone was finally seeing it.

I haven't done it since - but I've done some fiction and poetry readings.  I've found writing to be another way in which I can get that stuff out and show the real me - with my preoccupations and ways of looking at the world.  Sometimes, I read stuff I've written and wonder where on earth it came from.  People who've read my stuff say it shows confidence, self-assurance and insight... yet these are the opposites of the way I am in real life with other people.  More often than not, I end up feeling like a bumbling idiot.  Increasingly, as I get older, I find other people to be draining and debilitating.  I can't be around them for very long before I feel the energy and confidence draining out of me.  Psychological and emotional vampires - that's how I think of them.  Forums like this are really my ideal medium for social connection.  Yes, I have a very unstable sense of self.

Life is absurd, as the Sisyphus figure exemplifies.  What are we here for?  Camus posits that the decision to commit suicide amounts to answering the ultimate philosophical question: Is life worth living?  Of course it is - if we give it meaning.  If we confront the contradiction between the desire of human reason and an unreasonable world.  We don't accept the absurd - we revolt against it.  We find meaning in whichever way we can - politics, art, giving meaning to the lives of others. We don't succumb to the absurdity... become automatons, robots, rats in a circular run.  We don't accept what we're told, whatever the authority doing the telling.  We constantly ask questions.  We look for the truth and continually question ourselves.  We leave our minds as open as possible.  We accept challenges as opportunites to learn, however uncomfortable they might make us feel.

• Hope said:

Another thought comes to mind.....The Absurd is described by Camus as the gap between the human need for order/coherence/meaning/unity, and the inhuman indifference of the Universe which is unreasonable because it does not provide any meaning. When a human being contemplates this divorce between desire and reality, they experience the feeling of The Absurd. And surely if anyone experiences this sense of disorientation, a prime candidate would have to be someone with autism (as Martian Tom alluded to earlier)

In fact, some people argue that the universe is not really there until we observe it. So, one man's reality is not necessarily another man's (or woman's) reality.

What reality is to an NT, therefore, is a function of their perceptual apparatus so that if this was a world only populated by Aspies, reality would take on a quite different complexion.

It's no wonder Tom calls himself 'Martian Tom!'

You can't help wondering how alien species (assuming they exist) experience reality. Would their version of it be any less valid than ours?

• Another thought comes to mind.....The Absurd is described by Camus as the gap between the human need for order/coherence/meaning/unity, and the inhuman indifference of the Universe which is unreasonable because it does not provide any meaning. When a human being contemplates this divorce between desire and reality, they experience the feeling of The Absurd. And surely if anyone experiences this sense of disorientation, a prime candidate would have to be someone with autism (as Martian Tom alluded to earlier)

• What about some of the tales of Hans Christian Anderson? The Emperor's New Clothes, in particular; the little boy shouts out, 'he is naked'!!. Everyone else is pretending and deceiving themselves out of respect and decorum.

I have recently read The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus (a collection of essays on the Absurd). Camus argues that the Actor is an exemplar of the Absurd existence because he/she plays many different roles in a lifetime, and thus pays homage to the ephemeral, fleeting nature of existence and its lack of stability/fixed meaning. I thought this was interesting as many autistic people describe themselves as 'acting' and lacking a fixed sense of self. I can certainly relate to this - I am always 'acting'. Perhaps a modern day Camus could add a chapter about Autism and the Absurd!!

• Mlle Lermontova said:

I like his 'primus inter pares' approach to being Caesar.

Julian was extraordinary: the bookish little orphan who somehow also turned out to be a fine soldier, and whose written works are still a delight. Archive.org has all 3 vols of his Works in the bilingual Loeb edition available for free (Greek and English on facing pages).

[/quote]

• Hope said:

I also love love love existentialism!!! Currently reading Camus. He writes about outsiders ('stranger's') and misfits.

Yes, he does.  L'etranger is a classic.  But also read Sartre and de Beauvoir (Nausea and The Second Sex especially).  Existentialism was a major influence on 20th century literature and culture, and threads of it can be seen in many major works.  Check out Raymond Carver, Edward Hopper, William Eggleston, Celine... to name but a few.

In the view of the existentialist, the individual's starting point is characterized by what has been called "the existential attitude", or a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world.

Sounds familiar to me...

s1214.photobucket.com/.../Simone_zps0wolx0zl.jpg.html

• Mlle Lermontova said:

He's also the subject of a fine historical novel by Gore Vidal, called simply Julian. I've read it many, many times and it still makes me cry.

Ah, Gore Vidal!  A writer who, when accused by Norman Mailer of writing a 'meretricious' novel, responded 'Well, meretricious... and a happy new year!'

That's the way to do it, as Alan Bennett observed...

• Thanks, Hope! History, literature, art history, philosophy... These are my life-blood.

• The Camus book that means most to me is L'Homme RevoltéThe Rebel.

• lostmyway said:

I like his 'primus inter pares' approach to being Caesar.

Julian was extraordinary: the bookish little orphan who somehow also turned out to be a fine soldier, and whose written works are still a delight. Archive.org has all 3 vols of his Works in the bilingual Loeb edition available for free (Greek and English on facing pages).

The best plain biography is by the Glaswegian historian Robert Browning, but for more in-depth coverage there are Rowland Smith and Shaun Tougher's works (Shaun is an old pal from my own student days!). He's also the subject of a fine historical novel by Gore Vidal, called simply Julian. I've read it many, many times and it still makes me cry.

• Tongue in cheek, this one:

What about Norman Bates (in 'Psycho')

I mean, he didn't have any friends and he filled his spare time stuffing dead birds. Course, he was a psycho so can you be on the spectrum and be a psycho too?

When he was asked if he had friends he replied: 'A boy's best friend is his mother', or words to that effect.

• Martian Tom said:

And Henry Darger?  The most well-known 'outsider' artist?  What do you think?

en.wikipedia.org/.../Henry_Darger

www.youtube.com/watch

Never published any of his work (which included a 15,145-page fantasy novel) or exhibited any of his hundreds of paintings and collages, and asked for them all to be destroyed after his death.  Lived in the same one-room apartment in Chicago for over four decades whilst working as a hospital janitor.  Is known to have had only one friend in that time.

Strange bloke, Tom. I wonder why his art was so gruesome. He had a tough early life and going through WWI was no picnic either so....

They say that Aspies have very good imaginations and I guess Darger shows this pretty clearly.

• I also love love love existentialism!!! Currently reading Camus. He writes about outsiders ('stranger's') and misfits.