Hobbies and interests - members lists

I just thought I'd start a topic about what interests and hobbies we have.  Here's some of mine...

• Tabletop roleplaying games, especially "Doctor Who" (the FASA, Virgin, and Cubicle 7 ones), "Serenity", "Victoriana" and "GURPS".
  • Re-enactment and LARP events.
  • Collecting Doctor Who inspired LARP props.
  • Collecting replica historical coins.
  • Collecting fake pound coins.
  • Video games; mainly, Fallout 3 and GTA at present.
  • Voluntary work; for 15 years, I have been volunteering for a local nature conservation charity.
  • Reading; mainly non-fiction (although I do like Dr Who short story books and collections) such as the Victorian era/1800s, the UK home front during WW2, UK home defence during the Cold War, NBC warfare, special forces, Special Operations Executive, the Goth subculture, amongst others. 
  • Drawing (when I have the patience).
  • TV programmes such as Doctor Who (been a fan since the 1980s), Firefly, Torchwood, Time Team, QI, Have I Got News For You, etc. 
  • Music - Carl McCoy/Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim, Last Rites, The Eden House, Katie Melua, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.
  • All things Goth and the Goth subculture.

• Music: Metal (Black, Doom, Classic), Prog Rock, Jazz, Avant Garde electronica/classical, Experimental anything really.
    • TV: I don't really like tv. 
    • Films: The Wickerman, Hammer, Rosemaries Baby (anything with the unholy trinity: Goats, Breasts & Satan).
    • Sport: Football, Newcastle United Season Ticket Holder.
    • Books: Autobiographies (Usually musicians), Music related Neurosciene, Richard Dawkins, Transgressive Fiction, Esoteric Philosophy & Occultism.
    • Art: Surrealism, Symbols, Vincent Castiglia.
    • Other: Collecting Vinyl, Memorising music labels, Getting Tattoo'd, Good Coffee.
  • I saw them perform in Leeds a few years ago at deathfest in Leeds Uni. It was possibly in summer 2010.

I havn't heard Blind Gaurdian or Vintersorg. I'll check em out. 

• Goatworshiper said:

Music: progressive rock, folk rock, progressive metal.

We would get on, based on those interest. I'm not so much into folk or folk side of proog, but I like neo folk.

Do you like Black Metal? I find the recent Blut Aus Nord trilogy to be proggy and interesting. Also Ihsahn.

[/quote]

I like Ihsahn but don't know much about black metal.  Ah yes, I also like Negura Bunget but it's not a genre I listen to that much.  I'll check out Blut aus Nord, if it's similar to Ihsahn I'll probably like it.  I'm more into folk metal such as Skyclad or Cruachan, and I like the progressive metal bands Dream Theater, Opeth, Ayreon and Pain of Salvation.

[/quote]

Blut Aus Nord is harsher than Ihsahn, but its very complex mind bending stuff. It's very negative in its outlook, but the 777 trilogy has some epic melodic moments. I really like Negura Bunget, they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Im not overly fond of Dream Theatre or Aryeon, I think that style of vocal isnt for me although it's performed exceptionally well. I love Opeth, they were excellent on the recent tour. I want the new Storm Corrosion album, when I get some spare cash. Do you like Devin Townsend? I've been listening to a lot of his stuff recently.

[/quote]

I apologise for not getting back to you earlier, I seem to have missed your post for some reason.  Thanks for the Blut aus Nord tip.  I listened to a couple of tracks on Youtube and was impressed, definitely technical enough to fit into the "progressive" category.  I'll start looking out for albums once I'm in full time employment again.  I would recommend "Storm Corrosion" good album though rather different to Opeth and Porcupine Tree's previous work.  Yes, I like Devin Townsend, though so far I've only heard Terria. 

Where did you see Negură Bunget perform?  Oh, I also like Blind Guardian and Vintersorg, do you like them?

• My current interests are music, football, running and films.

• LoCommotion said:

We would get on, based on those interest. I'm not so much into folk or folk side of proog, but I like neo folk.

Do you like Black Metal? I find the recent Blut Aus Nord trilogy to be proggy and interesting. Also Ihsahn.

[/quote]

I like Ihsahn but don't know much about black metal.  Ah yes, I also like Negura Bunget but it's not a genre I listen to that much.  I'll check out Blut aus Nord, if it's similar to Ihsahn I'll probably like it.  I'm more into folk metal such as Skyclad or Cruachan, and I like the progressive metal bands Dream Theater, Opeth, Ayreon and Pain of Salvation.

[/quote]

Blut Aus Nord is harsher than Ihsahn, but its very complex mind bending stuff. It's very negative in its outlook, but the 777 trilogy has some epic melodic moments. I really like Negura Bunget, they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Im not overly fond of Dream Theatre or Aryeon, I think that style of vocal isnt for me although it's performed exceptionally well. I love Opeth, they were excellent on the recent tour. I want the new Storm Corrosion album, when I get some spare cash. Do you like Devin Townsend? I've been listening to a lot of his stuff recently.

• I can't remember if I've posted on this thread or not, anyway my interests....

Music - I love a wide range from metal/goth and jrock through to classical, jazz and 80's pop

Movies - I love 80's movies, I'm a big fan of horrors and japanese films

Video Games - I love playing games, left 4 dead, gears of war, halo, bioshock, saints row, GTA but I also like lighthearted stuff like mario, sonic etc.

Those are my main interests everything else comes and goes as obsessions, like at the moment I'm a little obsessed with writing fiction, reading about medical stories (asylums, paramedics journals etc) and snakes (because I recently bought 2).

• Goatworshiper said:

[/quote]

• Goatworshiper said:

We would get on, based on those interests. I'm not so much into folk or folk side of prog, but I like neo folk.

[/quote]

• LoCommotion said:

• I've always been interested in science and technology, especially astronomy and sci fi.

Other languages and cultures.  I learnt French, German and Spanish at school, then later I learnt Greek, Romanian and some Italian.

Favourite websites are Last.fm, Listverse, progarchives, snopes, How to Learn Any Language

TV: classic British comedy, documentaries.

• My Hobbies and interests are:

•  cross stitch
    • reading,
    • anything disney (watching the movies listening to music going to the parks),
    • i tend to collect things a lot at the moment im collecting playing cards and yankee candle labels,
    • i also love playing games on my ds and being on my computer
    • and i like researching things and learning i love it when im doing my part time course and learning something new Smile
  • Hi Hope,

All of these types of interests in politics, economics, philosophy, historical periods etc are about trying to understand what makes people and societies tick - and I've noticed that there seem to be many women (and some men too) on the autistic spectrum who are fascinated with these subjects - and I would argue possibly have a far better feel for them than many NTs...which imho blows the whole 'lacking in empathy' thing out of the water. We may not be great at spotting what individuals are thinking, but I think we can more than make up for that through our ability to see the bigger picture when it comes to things like manipulation, motivations and moral behaviour within society!

As for the whole Russian thing, I think there was something in the spirit and resilience of the Russian people in the face of all that they'd suffered that fascinated me - and the way that so many still clung to their faith in communism (and even Uncle Joe himself) no matter how much Stalin perverted it to suit his own narcissistic and paranoid agenda (the ultimate cruelty it seems for a people who'd waited so long for those changes to come about). It led me to wonder what it was about the Russian people that made them that way - so simple, yet strong and faithful - when their whole lives must have just been pervaded by absolute terror, always waiting for that knock at the door. It's years now since I read anything about Russia, but just thinking about it now makes me want to go back and read it again - and get up to date as there's been so many changes since then - I was fascinated by Russia at the time of Glasnost and Perestroika, but by my mid 20s had moved on to an obsession with aliens and all things Fortean - more's the pity - as I can see little value in that now - but I guess you can't help where your mind takes you - especially not when you're young!

Anyway, I'm procrastinating here rather than working on an incredibly boring essay that I've no interest in whatsoever Frown but it was nice to hear from someone who shares similar interests Smile

• Hello bimblebee,

Wow! You have almost identical special interests to my own. I am also interested in Russia since the October 1917 revolution, and particularly like Soviet music.

Also, I am interested in politics and economics, but like yourself, I cannot do numbers - it is the ideas I am interested in. Am interested in Keynes, but I also have my own ideas about the economy which don't fit into any particular school. Neoliberalism has been responsible for a lot of crap in the world: it was first experimented with in Latin America, particularly Chile, where a Democratic Government was ousted by force with the connivance of the CIA in order to impose neoliberalism   on the populace: privatization, seizure of state assets, freeing up of the market etc.

• In my teens and 20s I had a thing about Russia - mainly the post 1917 communist era, which I think was inspired by watching a documentary called 'The  Last Gulag' late one night on channel 4. This led to reading lots of Solzhenitsyn followed by biographies of Stalin, Kaganovich and others, and a failed attempt to learn Cyrillic and the Russian language (I was always crap at languages so it was doomed from the start!)

Currently I'm fascinated with economics: not the number-crunching side of things - I'm also sh*ite with numbers - but the whole of the economic/financial/political/social world. I have an intense dislike for the Austrian school and neoliberalism & if I had time in my life (or the ability for that matter) I think I'd try and come up with a new economic system that integrates the work of Smith and Keynes (who are not as incompatible as people think IMHO) with a few ideas of my own for good measure. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with a great memory like many people on the spectrum seem to be, so I find that when studying subjects like economic theory, rather than gaining any real expertise, I'm simply left with a feeling - what I suppose could be described as the 'essence' of what I've learned and how I think things should be. This really pisses me off as I can never defend my corner coherantly in debate!

In another thread (can't remember where now), someone left a link to a wiki page with a quote from Schopenhauer (I think), that made me feel much better about my learning & memory problems. It made me feel less of an intellectual loser - so thanks to whoever that was!

• All forms of games, and gaming.

Computers, particularly programming.

Painting miniature figures ('toy soldiers' to the uninitiated).

Reading (mostly Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk).

• hi i have a lot of interests and hobbies anything to do with craft love making things from cards to flowers interests ghosts anything paronormal would love to here from you all about yours 

• Manchester is 10 minutes from me camile exiter not that far away I see britany on eurovision contest 2008
  • Hi camile I replied to u on another page gaston x
  • gaston said:
    Hi only been diagnosed 6months even though I am 25 I live in Liverpool north England I enjoy TV my face is home and away especially alf stwert played by ray meagher in films I only watch Disney fairytales. Jungle book and beauty and the beast are my faves I like gaston and baloo lots. I enjoy. Reading classic novels. Such as Oliver Jane Eyre great expectations Heidi and David Copperfield I visit euro Disney every year and can name every attraction I am a big fan of pantomime and perform in them each year I also enjoy cooking and love kittens I have two I collect Disney pins of baloo and gaston and belle and also collect DVDs of old anime based on classic novels such as the world masterpiece theater they are unknown to my English friends but my french and Spanish USA friends know them my fave is tom sawyer made in 1980 I have two sisters but we don't get on

"How do you do Gaston!"

I love "Heidi" too ! I like this little girl, who wants to come back to the moutains, while her aunt sent her in a rich family in Franckfort for becoming Claire's companion. I read "David Copperfied"  by Charles Dickens, but I didn't read "Great Expectations". I love also "David Copperfed" and I liked so this novel that I watched a film about it. I' don't remember the director's name but I know Freddy Bartholomew was David when he was a child. And W. C. Fields was Mr Micawber. This film is very good and is as good as the novel. I read also "A Cristmas Carol". If you like the Disney's Cartoons, there is a cartoon of "A Cristmas Carol", and also a film of this story with "The Muppetshow.  Moreover, I prefered the film in comparaison the cartoon.

Oh ! I like "Alf" too.

I have a little brother, who's also autist as I am, and who also likes the Disney Cartoons. Particularly the cartoons with Donald Duck. Every evening, he watches "Flubber" with Robin Williams. He loves this film.

Among the Disney cartoons, I like "Cinderella", "Robin Hood", "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs", "The Great Mouse Detective", "The Sword in the Stone" and many other cartoons. Before, I didn't like "Mulan", but I watched the film with my brother while I lived near from Paris two years ago, and since, I like it enough. I love "Beauty and the Beast" too, but I prefer the Beast when it's a monster because the character is more human, I find. I find Gaston very funny but very foolish !

But I never went to EuroDisnet. However, I lived near Paris, there was Disneyland Park in Marne la Vallée, which was only fifteen minutes from home by train, but I never went to there.

I live in Brest in the north west of France - in Brittany -  for seven months, but sometines, I take the plane for going to Paris : journey lasts only one hour. But I visit also all the France.
    I love these travels, particularly by train and plane.

I don't know England, but I would like to visit the country one day. I would like to begin by London, but recently, many people and a friend spoke about Manchester at me. A lady spoke to me about Exeter too.. Did you go in these two towns? I want to go to England for seven years, but I know nobody who lives there, it's for that, I came in this forum, which somebody recommended to me.

Is Liverpool near border of Scotland? How long do you live in this town? Are there a museum of John Lennon in Liverpool? I love "The Beatles" and John Lennon sang very well. My mother also loves "The Beatles". And do you like "The Beatles"? But isn't there a airport at Liverpool, who's called "John Lennon Airport"?

I love also "Emma", "Pride and Prejudice" of Jane Austen. I also love "Tess" of Thomas Hardy, which I prefered to "Jude The Obscure". And I prefered the last to "The blue yeyes".

For the children, I like the Beatrix Potter stories", particularly "The Tale of Peter Rabbit", "The Tailor of Gloucester", "The Story of Miss Moppet", "The Tale of Tom Kitten"and many others. And I love her illustrations. She wrote and drew very well. And by her stories and illustrations, we are in the Victorian England.

Also, I am a fanatic of "Harry Potter". I was reading the seven volumes when I lived in Paris. It's my mother who's spoken about it to me. She bought the six first volumes and it's a friend of childood who's offered the latest. I saw the seven films, except the first division of the latest. And you, do you like "Harry Potter"?

I love to draw, to read. I always loved to draw, but I've been drawing every day for eight years!

I was diagnostised "Autist High Level" two years ago in Paris. In my country, there are much lateness about the researches about autism. The Doctor who's diagnotised me told me that these researches had begun in only the 2000 years. And how is it in your country with autism?

Camille93.

• Hey Hagrid

First of all sorry for the very late reply but I kinda dropped off the world for a while but I'm back in the game now!

Lord of the Rings online is a multiplayer role playing game on pc. It is a subscription based game to get all the content but can also be played for free up to a certain level. It is role playing as I said so any interactions with other peoples characters will have to be in line with whatever race and class you are playing i.e if you are playing a halfling then dancing on the table tops of an inn with a pint of ale and singing songs is perfectly normal but if you were an Elf then that would seem a little outta place etc. The game follows the story which is running alongside while you and your character complete quests throughout Middle Earth and even sometimes aiding the main characters from the books along the way. You start at level one and as you complete more quests etc you gain experience and then level up to open new skills or spells etc. You can play the game completely by yourself never interacting with another human player or join a guild and fight the forces of Mordor together. Everyone I have met ingame has been more than helpfull and very polite (unlike my time in World of Warcraft). You can go on YouTube and find lots of ingame videos to see what it is like or google LOTRO and you will find the official site or even lotrowiki to find out a lot more info.

Hope this helps?

All the best to ya!!