Hobbies and interests - members lists

I just thought I'd start a topic about what interests and hobbies we have.  Here's some of mine...

• Tabletop roleplaying games, especially "Doctor Who" (the FASA, Virgin, and Cubicle 7 ones), "Serenity", "Victoriana" and "GURPS".
  • Re-enactment and LARP events.
  • Collecting Doctor Who inspired LARP props.
  • Collecting replica historical coins.
  • Collecting fake pound coins.
  • Video games; mainly, Fallout 3 and GTA at present.
  • Voluntary work; for 15 years, I have been volunteering for a local nature conservation charity.
  • Reading; mainly non-fiction (although I do like Dr Who short story books and collections) such as the Victorian era/1800s, the UK home front during WW2, UK home defence during the Cold War, NBC warfare, special forces, Special Operations Executive, the Goth subculture, amongst others. 
  • Drawing (when I have the patience).
  • TV programmes such as Doctor Who (been a fan since the 1980s), Firefly, Torchwood, Time Team, QI, Have I Got News For You, etc. 
  • Music - Carl McCoy/Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim, Last Rites, The Eden House, Katie Melua, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.
  • All things Goth and the Goth subculture.

Parents
  • Hi Hope,

All of these types of interests in politics, economics, philosophy, historical periods etc are about trying to understand what makes people and societies tick - and I've noticed that there seem to be many women (and some men too) on the autistic spectrum who are fascinated with these subjects - and I would argue possibly have a far better feel for them than many NTs...which imho blows the whole 'lacking in empathy' thing out of the water. We may not be great at spotting what individuals are thinking, but I think we can more than make up for that through our ability to see the bigger picture when it comes to things like manipulation, motivations and moral behaviour within society!

As for the whole Russian thing, I think there was something in the spirit and resilience of the Russian people in the face of all that they'd suffered that fascinated me - and the way that so many still clung to their faith in communism (and even Uncle Joe himself) no matter how much Stalin perverted it to suit his own narcissistic and paranoid agenda (the ultimate cruelty it seems for a people who'd waited so long for those changes to come about). It led me to wonder what it was about the Russian people that made them that way - so simple, yet strong and faithful - when their whole lives must have just been pervaded by absolute terror, always waiting for that knock at the door. It's years now since I read anything about Russia, but just thinking about it now makes me want to go back and read it again - and get up to date as there's been so many changes since then - I was fascinated by Russia at the time of Glasnost and Perestroika, but by my mid 20s had moved on to an obsession with aliens and all things Fortean - more's the pity - as I can see little value in that now - but I guess you can't help where your mind takes you - especially not when you're young!

Anyway, I'm procrastinating here rather than working on an incredibly boring essay that I've no interest in whatsoever Frown but it was nice to hear from someone who shares similar interests Smile

• Hi Hope,

All of these types of interests in politics, economics, philosophy, historical periods etc are about trying to understand what makes people and societies tick - and I've noticed that there seem to be many women (and some men too) on the autistic spectrum who are fascinated with these subjects - and I would argue possibly have a far better feel for them than many NTs...which imho blows the whole 'lacking in empathy' thing out of the water. We may not be great at spotting what individuals are thinking, but I think we can more than make up for that through our ability to see the bigger picture when it comes to things like manipulation, motivations and moral behaviour within society!

As for the whole Russian thing, I think there was something in the spirit and resilience of the Russian people in the face of all that they'd suffered that fascinated me - and the way that so many still clung to their faith in communism (and even Uncle Joe himself) no matter how much Stalin perverted it to suit his own narcissistic and paranoid agenda (the ultimate cruelty it seems for a people who'd waited so long for those changes to come about). It led me to wonder what it was about the Russian people that made them that way - so simple, yet strong and faithful - when their whole lives must have just been pervaded by absolute terror, always waiting for that knock at the door. It's years now since I read anything about Russia, but just thinking about it now makes me want to go back and read it again - and get up to date as there's been so many changes since then - I was fascinated by Russia at the time of Glasnost and Perestroika, but by my mid 20s had moved on to an obsession with aliens and all things Fortean - more's the pity - as I can see little value in that now - but I guess you can't help where your mind takes you - especially not when you're young!

Anyway, I'm procrastinating here rather than working on an incredibly boring essay that I've no interest in whatsoever Frown but it was nice to hear from someone who shares similar interests Smile

Children
No Data