Hobbies and interests - members lists

I just thought I'd start a topic about what interests and hobbies we have.  Here's some of mine...

• Tabletop roleplaying games, especially "Doctor Who" (the FASA, Virgin, and Cubicle 7 ones), "Serenity", "Victoriana" and "GURPS".
  • Re-enactment and LARP events.
  • Collecting Doctor Who inspired LARP props.
  • Collecting replica historical coins.
  • Collecting fake pound coins.
  • Video games; mainly, Fallout 3 and GTA at present.
  • Voluntary work; for 15 years, I have been volunteering for a local nature conservation charity.
  • Reading; mainly non-fiction (although I do like Dr Who short story books and collections) such as the Victorian era/1800s, the UK home front during WW2, UK home defence during the Cold War, NBC warfare, special forces, Special Operations Executive, the Goth subculture, amongst others. 
  • Drawing (when I have the patience).
  • TV programmes such as Doctor Who (been a fan since the 1980s), Firefly, Torchwood, Time Team, QI, Have I Got News For You, etc. 
  • Music - Carl McCoy/Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim, Last Rites, The Eden House, Katie Melua, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.
  • All things Goth and the Goth subculture.

• Hi only been diagnosed 6months even though I am 25 I live in Liverpool north England I enjoy TV my face is home and away especially alf stwert played by ray meagher in films I only watch Disney fairytales. Jungle book and beauty and the beast are my faves I like gaston and baloo lots. I enjoy. Reading classic novels. Such as Oliver Jane Eyre great expectations Heidi and David Copperfield I visit euro Disney every year and can name every attraction I am a big fan of pantomime and perform in them each year I also enjoy cooking and love kittens I have two I collect Disney pins of baloo and gaston and belle and also collect DVDs of old anime based on classic novels such as the world masterpiece theater they are unknown to my English friends but my french and Spanish USA friends know them my fave is tom sawyer made in 1980 I have two sisters but we don't get on
  • [quote user="NAS12718"]

I love online role playing games, was addicted to WoW for about 5 years but now play Lord of the Rings online.

Hi Mr Fox

I am a huge fan of both the films and the books of lord of the ring and was wondering if you could tell me what the online game was.

as far as other interests go i am a HUGE film nut and try to collect as much information as humanly possible.  I have also aquired two statues one based on lord of the rings and theother on marvels Iron man.  I believe i would be a comic book fan as i hugely enjoy the films but cannot pay to collect them every month.

i am also a big fan of rock and metal music with some favourite bands being Edguy, avantasia, bullet for my valentine, parkway drive and avenged sevenfold. 

When it comes to tv i have a variety of different interests, i enjoy watching Sci Fi shows such as doctor who or torch wood but i also enjoy crimescene shows such as CSI or criminal Minds however my tv favourite shows at the moment are without a doubt the Big bang theory and how i met your mother. 

I also enjoy watching sport such as Tennis and snooker.

I do not enjoy sports a great deal other than games such as pool or snooker.  For a number of years i went to a disabled riding club and won a number of rosettes but had to give it up for college

I have also spent a large amount of time reading, My favourites are the harry potter books however at the minute I am enjoying reading a number of Stephen King Novels

finally I am a member of the boys brigade and am in the final year so by june hopefully i will have achieved my queens badge

• Count me in on the Doctor Who love too. Also passionate about the music of Kate Bush.

Also a fan of old TV series in general - comedy, sci-fi, and films.

I used to be a music lover, but not so much now, and read the occasional book. 

• Hi,

I have been very interested in some of the things people find of interest here on this forum and would like to contribute with some interests of my own.

Since childhood I have a fascination with cars, statistics model numbers, rear light cluster shapes etc. I have a few passions these days the main one being the Top Gear series and DVD's of which I confess I have many. 

Documentaries are also a passion of mine, many of which tend to be historical (usual related to the world wars). I do not have any interest in weapons, tanks and planes etc but my interest has always been how wars start and what life was like for everyone concerned. I have always struggled with the concept that there are 60 million people in this country of ours and each life has a story to tell and that has always worried me, not sure why.

I have always preferred the factual to fiction with a few exceptions namely Stephen King books and anything related to Sherlock Holmes. I struggle with reading books so I have quite a comprehensive library of audio books as they relax me especially at night.

As a hild I always had an encyclopedic knowledge of the TV listings which drove my parents a bit mad as I structured my life around the listings as a constant. 

I hope some people can related to these issues.

James

• "Hello, Hope!

I'm very happy you find my english good. I thank you ! But I must make progress.

About "Jude The Obscure", I find it very sad too, and even sader than "Tess" and yet "Tess" is sad enough ! Beetween the two novels, I preferred the latter and I've seen Roman Polanski's picture. Have you observed that men are often guilty in Hardy's novels while women aren't ? I find so very interresting, because, in my eyes, women are very often more intelligent than men. And yet I take a great interest in the women condition. Hardy takes up with it in his novels thougs he was a man.

About Dickens, I read "David Copperfield" : it was a great experience ! I've also seen a film  from this novel, an old picture with W. C. Fields and Freddy Bartholomew. It seems that there's a more modern version with Daniel Radcliffe. "David Copperfield" is Dickens' s most autobigorafic novel of the author. His father was in debt and encarcereted in La Fleet. Mrs Dickens accompanied his husband with their children. But the young Charles staid out and had to work in a shoe-polish fatory. Of course, in the novel, the caracter of Mr Micawber is more comic but behind the fun and the jokes, the reader can feel Charles Dickens' s emotion.  However, for me,  the most terrible personnage in the novel s Uriah Heep ! Disgusting ! Revolting ! Berk ! ! Among my favorinte characters, I'll put Peggotty, Oncle ***, Aunt Betsey Trotwood, and David of course !

About Jane Austen and her works, I read"Emma" and "Sense and Sensibility". I've seen also the films. About "Sense et Sensibility", I saw also "Cap on Boollywood", where the history takes place today, in India. Have you seen it?

I enjoye drawing, reading, walking, visiting museums and towns, travelling, particulary by train and by air. I took first the plane in December twenty-nine. I was 23 years old for going to Strasbourg in east of France! I love the plane!

Is Chichester a town or a village ? Is it near Manchester ?. How long is Chichester from London? Are there a station and an airport in Chiichester?

I was diagnosed with autism only last year in Paris. Many years ago, I was diagnosed "Psychose Infantile", but that didn't mean nothing ! In France, for many years, the medical group did'nt accept autism is a real trouble of the personnality. They called this "psychose infantile / approximatively "childish psycho". Today, autism is accepted as a fact. But France remains very late in this domain. The doctor, who's diagnosed me, told me that they had been talking about autism in France for only ten years!

And you, when were you diagnosed with autism ?

So long, Hope and thanks for answering me !

Camille93.

PS : I've a sister (15 years old but she's not an autist) and a brother (13 years old : he's an autist and unfortunately, he speaks very little.)"

• Hello Camille,

Your English is really good!.

I am into Thomas Hardy and I have read Jude the Obscure and Tess. Jude is a really great novel but very sad. I have read Wuthering  Heights and most of Bronte. My favourite Beauvoir book is The Second Sex.

I live in Chichester, which is in the south of England.  I am 24 years old and I have a younger brother who is 22.

I have been to France once, on a school French exchange when I was 13. I know a little French but I am not as fluent in French as you are with English!.

I have read some of Austen: Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, but I struggled to understand the social aspects and so I am not keen on Austen. I prefer Dickens and Hardy.

I have read Harry Potter.

I enjoy cooking and baking. I particularly like making apple crumble and pie. What do you like making?.When were you diagnosed with autism?

• I love online role playing games, was addicted to WoW for about 5 years but now play Lord of the Rings online. Console games right back from Atari days, I collect old consoles and games.

I have been doing Tai Chi for just over 3 years now, the form and the martial art side of it but can't bring myself to take part in any competitions.

I love anything to do with vampires and I'm currently reading the Morganville Vampire series which I think is great, better than the Twighlight series.

As for tv and films my fav film is The Crow and then stuff like Lord of the Rings trilogy, Leon, Kalifornia, Lucky Number Slevin, Hanna, Usual Suspects and V for Vendetta. Tv series would be Dexter, Chuck, Big Bang Theory, The Sopranoes, Vampire Diaries, Broadwalk Empire and funnily enough Glee! Don't ask me why I just love it!! There are so many other things I like watching but I think thats enough to get the idea.....

About a year ago I took up photography especially nature photography as I find it a great way to get myself out up into the hills away from people. I have a passion for wildlife and hope to one day to be able to work in a recue centre.

Last of all is chainsaws, I worked in forestry and tree surgery and for some reason using a chainsaw is something that came naturally to me and it's my happy place. I am just able to totally relax when I am using one.

Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't to boring!!

• Good Afternoon Hope!

First of all, how do you do!

I thank you for your answer, I wanted to answer you earlier but my computer got a breakdown. Sorry.

I've never seen "Titanic", but I heard about that.

Some years ago, I was very fond of Ingrid Bergaman as actress. Then I read her autobiography and I realized her personnality was not so sympathic as I thought. Now, my favorite actresses are Katherine Hepburn and Marily Monroe.

As you too, I like Simone de Beauvoir, especially « La Femme Rompue » and « Mémoires d’une Jeune Fille Rangée. » Soon I’ll read « Le Deuxième Sexe. »  Beauvoir’s personnality is very interesting. Do you know the Beauvoir’s biography par Deirdre Bair ?

Among the novels, I love the saga of "Les Rougon-Macquart » by one of the greatest our writers, Emile Zola. I first read "Germinal" – the thirteen book of the saga - , then I took the saga by the beginning with « La Fortune des Rougon. » But for me, « L'Assommoir » is the most awfu.  Its reading made my flesh creep, you see : when I was reading it, I was afraid to go to bed because in this time, the lamp on my bedside table hadn’t a bulb.

In the meantime, I read "Tintin au Pays de l'Or Noir". Last May, I went to Bruxelles. Unfortunately I didn't have time for visiting the Tintin Museum, but I visited the Musesum of "Arts d'Adfrique", and since my visit in Belgium  I decided  to read "Les Aventures de Tintin". I love it ! I wonder if the Steven Spielberg’s picture is a good film.

Do you like "Wuthering Heights? Do you like Jane Austen? And Thomas Hardy and « Tess d’Urberville » ?

What about « Mister Bean » ? I love this serie and Rowan Atkinson.. And I like british atmosphere, thought I've never been to England, but I would like to visit the country. I love Harry Potter ! I read the seven novels and saw all the films.

Have you already come to France? Can you speack French? (Oh ! sorry because my own English is not very correct) What town of England do you live in ? Do you know London or its suburban?

You talk about babies and children. Have you sisters or brothers ? How old are you? Would you like having children later ?

I don't have children because I have problems of health for having one, but I like the children. When I see a baby outside, in the station or in the airport, I say it: "Good Morning, you!", "Good Afternoon, you!".

By contrast however, I never was obsessed with food, but I love to eat! My mother is surprised when she sees me to eat carrots, because she hates this vegetable, but I love it! Do you like to cook?

Sorry again for my English and so long.

camille93.

• Currently I am obsessed with Politics, Philosophy, History. My reading revolves around George Orwell and Sartre, Simone De Beauvoir, Lacan, Kristeva, Freud.......

As a teenager I was  REALLY obsessed with the actress Kate Winslet to the extent that I could think about nothing else or be interested in anything else, unless I could relate it in my mind to Winslet. Prior to this interest I was obsessed with the Titanic as an historical event which led me to watch the film, and this led to the Winslet obsession. As a child all I could think about was food and what I was having for meal, and I used to memorize what people had eaten. All my play and talk revolved around food. I liked to look at all the food in supermarkets and I read the packaging.

I was obsessed with child development and babies when I was a tennager because Winslet had a baby and I wanted to get closer to her.  I took notes every time I saw a baby; what it was wearing, make of pram etc, and I read parenting magazines and catalogues from cover to cover

• Hello, everybody!

My name is Camille93 and I'm living in France, more especially in Brittany, in a harbour called "Brest". Before, I lived in the suburban of Paris for ten years.

I am twenty-five and I'm an autist.

My hobbies are drawing, reading. I'm very fond of "wuthering Heigts" by Emily Bronté - walking (outings, museums, towns, etc...)

Thought I don't speak English very well, but I learn it, I'm happy to be with you on this site.

Bye.

Camille93

• Torchwood, Doctor Who and QI are some of my favourite TV shows, QI being my main source of interesting info about the world.

I love gothic style jewellry but mostly because I'm into things like dragons, bats and wolves.

Terry Pratchet is my favourite author, I like his discworld books because they're funny and occassionally make me look up a new word or two.

I'm also a big Marvel fan, Xmen, Avengers, particularily Wolverine the character as I've been described as a wolverine myself.

My major hobby though is art. I like making art and looking at others artwork mostly based around fantasy and dragons, for now I'm hooked on animation and I'm hoping to pursue it as a career as I get older.

Anyone else a fan of these things cause so far no one else I know likes these things as much as me. :(