a question about phone calls ♡

hello everyone ♡. i have only just joined because i wanted to ask a question here, so i am very sorry if this is in the wrong place. Sweat

i am not sure of whether this is related to my autism, but does anyone else feel incredibly anxious when people call others on facetime or speaker phone around them? i am fine with people talking to others on the phone around me, but whenever it is out loud/on speaker, i get very anxious and feel the need to leave the room. i don't think it is because of the noise—i thought it might be because it feels like i am suddenly being brought into the conversation as well, a conversation i wasn't ready for, but i am not sure. if anyone else has any ideas or experiences this, i would love to hear from you ♡. thank you so much in advance.

Parents
  • Hi, 

I also get apprehensive about phone calls sometimes. Usually I manage fine but I do occasionally feel nervous and stumble over my words. I think it is partly due to that and that I am more accustomed to texting or emailing. However, phone calls tend to make things easier and dealt with quicker. It might be worth asking someone if they can assist you in making phone calls. 

• thank you very much ♡. i do not do well with phone calls either, but i thought it was strange that i am nervous even when others are on the phone around me ><.

• If I’m talking to someone I don’t know very well or it’s an important call I have to take myself away into a room that’s quiet, shut the door as I don’t want anyone to hear me. I feel like it’s puts pressure on myself and then struggle to find the right words in conversation. I can get out of breath on the phone sometimes as I feel very tense like I’m holding something in?? 
    I don’t like to hear people on loud speaker or video calls either, can’t really say why but I would personally try and avoid this in public myself.

• oh i relate to that so much Blush. i get so embarrassed about talking on the phone in front of ppl on the rare occasions when i have to...i just always feel like i sound or look strange compared to others, i suppose </3.

• oh i relate to that so much Blush. i get so embarrassed about talking on the phone in front of ppl on the rare occasions when i have to...i just always feel like i sound or look strange compared to others, i suppose </3.

Children
No Data